IGNORED

The Longest Running HighScore

BigThunder660

I don't know exactly what the longest running highscore is, whether it be pinball, arcade, console, etc. but if I were to make a prediction, I would confidently state that Todd Roger's 5.51 that he acheived on Dragster for the Atari 2600 back in 1980 will last an ETERNITY.

I think this is, in fact, the longest running World Record to date, in the video game world at least. Todd set this record in early 1980 and no-one has come close to beating it to this day, including a program written by the Activision folks. ;)

Todd's dragster score will never be defeated. His Activision Skiing game 3 score is nearly the same age. 27.51 is awesome too. My score is in second place at 27.97.... I wish someone could tell me where I made almost 1/2 second worth of mistakes on that run!

Todd's Gorf score may be one of the longest arcade world records!

I once told Todd that I was the first to attain 114,000 (perfect score) on Pitfall! I bought it the morning it was released and defeated the game the following evening. I rushed to have my film developed and mailed it right out to Activision for verification. Activision said my name was first on the list for the next newsletter for the Pitfall score section! Wow! I had done it I thought.... beaten Todd to a high score! :sad: :sad: :sad:

I soon found out that Todd had received an advanced copy at an Electronics Expo and scored perfect before anyone else... including me! This was 1981. He was to appear in the newsletter prior to mine as the lone Pitfall! champ.

I once told Todd that I was the first to attain 114,000 (perfect score) on Pitfall!  I bought it the morning it was released and defeated the game the following evening.  I rushed to have my film developed and mailed it right out to Activision for verification.  Activision said my name was first on the list for the next newsletter for the Pitfall score section!  Wow! I had done it I thought.... beaten Todd to a high score! :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  

I soon found out that Todd had received an advanced copy at an Electronics Expo and scored perfect before anyone else... including me!  This was 1981.  He was to appear in the newsletter prior to mine as the lone Pitfall! champ.

well.. that just plain SUCKS!! wonder how long (exactly) it took Todd to get that perfect score? then compare it to how long it took you! i would think that is the true way to know who did it first. (or the fastest) personally i think Todd's way was cheating..

Take care,

rick

Hello all:

I think Ron's correct with "Dragster" being just about the oldest, if not the oldest TG score.

However, I'd ask this question...the TG date of the scores from so far back in time...are they based on the date of achievement or the date of verification by TG ? Meaning, did Todd's "Dragster" score, when accomplished, occur after a previously submitted VHS score of, say, another title, but the "Dragster" was verified first.

I don't think anyone remembers the sequence of events going that far back, but on paper, it's the "Dragster", I think.

Robert

Hello Fellow Gamers

OK OK lets put some things to rest....RICK...For my PitFall achievement I did the Perfect PitFall 3x times back in the day. First at the CES show now E3 I performed the perfect PitFall in front of Jan Marsella and a bunch of other Activision employee's and designers. It was no real big deal back then they just wanted to see a player beat the game in 20:00 the only difference was Alan Miller said to me " HEY YOU DIDNT DIE and you still got 114,00 with 38 seconds to boot " and thats when I figured out I done something good and as for the ADVANCED copy yeah I suppose you could say I recieved one but only after I already beat the game at the show that day....The second time I did a perfect PITFALL was at the Electronic Thing Show on 8Mile in Detroit 2 months after CES yet to show the Local Media it could be done. Channel 7 in Detroit had a " Pool " on me back at their office on if I could do it or not....Guess what some of those bidders LOST. My time was 32 seconds left... The third time I did a Perfect PitFall was for the Editors of JoyStik Magazine before they printed my achievement they wanted to see it done first hand or they wouldnt put it in print ....as a matter of fact if you have a copy of the JoySticks issue December 1982 -How to win at home video games ...on (page 41 ) they thought was impossible and they printed { PROVE US WRONG } if you read on ( page 43 ) lo and behold guess who proved them wrong and that it could be done again for a third time this time with 35 seconds left . For my Dragster score im sure it went thru some sort of waiting period but as the certification it reads " December 1st 1980 " how quaint what a birthday present .

For you BIG THUNDER Bring on your best ...you want a challenge at CGE you got one .......>>> GAME ON <<<..... Ill take your $1,000.00 cash my palm is waiting for your money. Ron , Brien and I have a number of events to attend to but im sure for a grand I can fit you in with plenty of on lookers to watch....

CGE here I come

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

• 13 years later...

Here's a video released recently that questions the legitimacy of the world record - not saying I agree or disagree with it - just posting for discussion

And an article published today:

Doubt And Drama Still Haunt An Old, Seemingly Impossible Atari World Record

The current world record for the Atari 2600 racing game Dragster is 5.51 seconds. Thirty-five years after it was set, nobody has beaten or even tied it on official leaderboards. One speedrunner who has examined the game’s inner workings believes that world record to be impossible, but the game’s creator thinks it’s legitimate. For now, the Dragster record is one of the great unsolved mysteries of the golden age of video games.

https://kotaku.com/doubt-and-drama-still-haunt-an-old-seemingly-impossibl-1796714894

Todd's AA post for reference

It's possible. Todd did it in person with Activision people present.

That's just an anecdote. The only thing that would put this whole Dragster matter to rest is real tangible physical evidence that a time of 5.51 is possible. Without that the only thing there is to go on is "He said, she said" stories, and to me at least that isn't enough to validate the claim of a score that no one else in the entire history of gaming has been able to pull off. The same goes for many of Todd's other world record high scores that no one else has ever come even remotely close to matching. Without more evidence to back them up than just someone saying "I saw him do it." I wouldn't consider them legitimate.

Not to mention he's had a few extremely fishy ones taken down (Barnstorming anyone?). To me that ruins any credibility he had. The thing is, he's obviously good enough to get some real high scores (some have video evidence) so why lie about others?

I've met Todd in person a few times, at the yearly Freeplay Florida arcade show. Not only was he very approachable, but he was also courteous, and friendly. There is no doubt that he is extremely talented at video games. The fact that he is skilled at so many completely different types of games supports that.

The recent computer analysis & emulator stuff that has become rampant in our hobby; specifically the speed runs & save state games, as well as the glitch abuses, etc. have all imho, taken the fun out of it. But, regardless of how you feel about that, one thing is certain, they are NOT infallible. Emulators are imperfect. Compatibility problems & glitches are always present. And humans design them, implement them, and operate them. They cannot be blindly trusted.

Regarding the Dragster score, maybe his score was 5.57 and when Activisions received his blurry camera photo in 1980, they were unsure but gave him the benefit of the doubt since he was so talented at other Activisions games. Or maybe Todd was playing at 3am and the game had been on for 3 hours straight, and the Atari console was over heating and glitchy. The point being, there are many possible explanations.

At the end of the day, he's a great player, a nice fellow, and he holds many records. But as with any other records held by anyone else, all I care about is my own records, and enjoying the fun I have whenever I try to beat them. Beating & setting my own personal records, and having others try to do so when they come over, is all I care about.

Any technically impossible records should be removed no matter who the score was achieved by. If it was done 3 separate times it could be done a 4th time and not just by one person. If someone wants to talk about taking the fun out of getting a high score? Well how about an impossible score sitting at the top that you can never beat or even match cause it's not real?

• Like 1

I've met Todd in person a few times, at the yearly Freeplay Florida arcade show. Not only was he very approachable, but he was also courteous, and friendly. There is no doubt that he is extremely talented at video games. The fact that he is skilled at so many completely different types of games supports that.

That doesn't mean he can't cheat and/or lie about records. People do weird things sometimes.

At the end of the day, he's a great player, a nice fellow, and he holds many records. But as with any other records held by anyone else, all I care about are my own records, and enjoying the fun I have whenever I try to beat them. Beating & setting my own personal records, and having others try to do so when they come over, is all I care about.

Pretty much what I think also. If I cared about having records I could have at least two, Time Pilot (arcade) and Demon Attack (2600). But I don't care for long term gaming sessions anymore and never really liked the idea of World Record holders the way it is set up. Maybe it should be done like Track and Field where only scores obtained in a sanctioned event count.

I have met Todd several times at Free Play Florida and he has not hesitated to pick up a joystick and show what he can do. As far as matching his Dragster score today? It is 40 years later now and I know that I can not play some games as well as I use to.

Since this has come up so many times, I would think he would want to perform this record again to show it is possible. If it was only possible on a pre-release at the game show, but not on the released version, it should not stand as a record.

Since there are so many people at 5.61, it's most likely that 5.51 is either a typo and/or a blurry screenshot.

And the ones shown to be impossible (Fathom?) should be removed. It could be it was a pre-release version of the game.

Edited by R.Cade