IGNORED

Cross Platform Playfield / Sprite Creator

slacker

I started working on my first bB project and was finding it difficult to imagine the sprite data when typing it directly into the VS Code. Also, the overly helpful auto complete can be annoying when it's trying to guess what string of 1's and 0's or .'s and 'X's you're typing in. :)

I made a quick sprite / playfield editor in Java. I didn't realize there were web based ones already created when I put this together (I'm on Linux so I don't have access to the richer Windows based tools). The current code was put together quickly in one evening. I have plans on adding playfield colors as well as custom sprite/playfield sizes in the future.

Currently the application will handle doing the vertical flipping for the data statements on the sprites. When generating. Playfield will generate with the correct 'X's and '.'s. You can also copy in your existing code into the text area and load them into the editor table for easier editing once a sprite/playfield is completed.

Attached is the executable JAR to run the application. (On Linux, may have to do a "chmod +x" on the jar to add the executable flag). It should run on anything Java 8 and up.

GitHub link: https://github.com/shamrice/batari-basic-sprite-editor

Youtube example video:

I figured I'd share in case anyone else could find this useful as well.

Edit: Fixed playfield height to 12 instead of 11 that I had. Download and github updated. Video still shows old 11 row playfield editor.

Thanks.

batari-basic-sprite-editor_v02.jar

Edited by slacker
Fixed playfield height to correct vertical size.
  • Like 2

Another tool that looks great! I currently use Visual Batari Basic but sometimes it can be finicky and I find myself constantly tweaking the playfield, inserting the playfield, and running the program to see if I like it.  Your program is something I could definitely benefit from, as I could then quickly whip up a playfield and copy just the code.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

Another tool that looks great! I currently use Visual Batari Basic but sometimes it can be finicky and I find myself constantly tweaking the playfield, inserting the playfield, and running the program to see if I like it.  Your program is something I could definitely benefit from, as I could then quickly whip up a playfield and copy just the code.

You can copy just the code when using VbB:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#playfieldedgrab

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

You can copy just the code when using VbB:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#playfieldedgrab

Learn something every day! Some of these features had escaped me. On the plus side with this new editor, I can probably play around with things on the go. Either way, the more tools the better!

• Like 1

Thanks KevKelley! Hopefully it's of some use to you. Please let me know if you find things that need fixing. There's a bunch of "to-do" to do. :)  I've been using it for the past day to create the playfields and sprites in my test bB game and it seems to work well enough to get the job done. (even if still a bit rough around the edges).  Probably not anywhere near as good as what's available in Visual bB but unfortunately not having access to a Windows machine, that's not an option to me.

• Like 1