IGNORED

New, cheaper SGM clone.

MrPix

I don't understand the point of this.  Specifically, here is what I do not understand...

1. We don't need another SGM clone.  We have the SGM, we have the Phoenix, and for some poor suckers out there, we had the Juicebox.  We also have CoolCV and BlueMSX that emulate the SGM.  We don't need another SGM clone and I don't understand why someone would think we do.

2. We don't need the drama. I don't understand why someone can't just say "Hey, I'm going to make this thing.  Please let me know if you are interested" without having some angry alternative agenda to go along with it.  Honestly, had you just said "I'm going to make an SGM clone, anyone want one?" while #1 most certainly would still apply, at least you wouldn't be turning off people with your abrasive attitude on top of it.

3. Seriously, we don't need another SGM clone.  In case it wasn't clear already in my first point, I'll make it clear one more time. We don't need another SGM clone. If you are going to make something for this community, please, and I'm sure many others would agree with me... MAKE SOMETHING THAT WE NEED!  We don't need another SGM clone.

And on top of all that, please don't make me have to moderate yet another ColecoVision drama thread.  I just don't have the patience for it, and if it turns into a huge drama battle, things will not end well for any of the parties contributing.  I hope I have made myself very clear with that last point.

Thank you. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, christo930 said:

[The Phoenix] [...] cannot connect to an NTSC TV. I use my classic game systems exclusively with CRTs when not using computer emulators.  Even if I wanted to play the games on my flat screen, I have a hard time justifying spending 250 dollars[.]

"NTSC TV", given the context, meaning non-HDMI.

1 minute ago, retroillucid said:

Maybe the Phoenix is just not for you, that's it

Pretty sure that's exactly what @christo930 said in so many words.

• Like 1

Dave you're without a doubt one heck of an engineer.  I enjoy your ideas, your work and our banter.  However, I'm asking as a personal favor to me, please reconsider doing this.

I've known Ed @opcode for a very long time.  Him and his wife have always helped me with things in my business and have never asked for anything in return.  He's always been very passionate within the community for as long as I can remember.  We speak almost daily as most friends would do.  Ed has always and will always have my full support in anything that Opcode pursues.

I absolutely support @retroillucid, Brian and the rest at Collectorvision for their hard work on the Phoenix and their general work in the community.  Brian has always supported me in my work since I first started out.

As we've discussed before, the retro community is very small in comparison to other industries.  Most of us know each other and have even worked together on projects over the years.  We all have our own little niche's in the community and have closely stuck to that.  None of us have ventured out of our niche because there wasn't a need to.  There's so many other wonderful products that the retro community needs at the moment.

We're all old men here and in the end it's ultimately your decision which direction you would like to take.  Again, I just ask you to please reconsider.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, retroillucid said:

I have my original ColecoVision for this....  Besides, we've already mentioned we would like to make an adapter for analog tv 

Sure, and apparently (I guess) so does @christo930. That really just plays to his point in his personal estimation, as I understand it.

Just now, mumbai said:

Sure, and apparently (I guess) so does @christo930. That really just plays to his point in his personal estimation, as I understand it.

Hey, 
I had people who contact me (us) to know if this was featured or if we could add this and that
Some people didn't want a Phoenix in the end, and it's all good!
I don't buy every new consoles out there as well 
To each his own! 

8 minutes ago, TPR said:

[H]ere is what I do not understand...

1. We don't need another SGM clone.

[...]

3. Seriously, we don't need another SGM clone.  In case it wasn't clear already in my first point, I'll make it clear one more time. We don't need another SGM clone. [...] We don't need another SGM clone.

In my humble opinion, regardless of which side one chooses on any given point, it might serve to undercut the purposeless "drama" that you rightfully point out above were everyone to confine opinionated remarks to their own persons, rather than speak in terms of "we"s.

No disrespect, and please correct me if I am mistaken, but I do not believe any one person here occupies a position to speak for the entire community. I don't have a horse in this race, but I'd like to think I'm part of said community and would prefer this group not be treated as a unitary bloc.

Again, my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Your approach is all wrong. Not only you are beyond confrontational, you are desperate. Desperate to release something, anything. That is not how the hobby works. That is business. Hobby is about need. If I may say so, you don't seem to have any particular connection with this community, that is why you can't figure out things, what we are looking for. How about you spend some time hanging around, just talking to people. Maybe you will learn something...

You just burned bridges, I don't think you can get much software support now. Surely not from me.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mumbai said:

In my humble opinion, regardless of which side one chooses on any given point, it might serve to undercut the purposeless "drama" that you rightfully point out above were everyone to confine opinionated remarks to their own persons, rather than speak in terms of "we"s.

No disrespect, and please correct me if I am mistaken, but I do not believe any one person here occupies a position to speak for the entire community. I don't have a horse in this race, but I'd like to think I'm part of said community and would prefer this group not be treated as a unitary bloc.

Again, my opinion.

I clearly said these are the things "I" don't understand at the start of my post. Sorry not sorry you thought I was speaking for everyone when I was saying "we", and if you want to argue semantics, fine, but I think you knew what I meant and I feel your post is just trying to pour a little bit of drama fuel onto the fire.  Please don't do that. I really do not want to have to moderate another ColecoVision drama thread and if you thought I was harsh before, please do not test me as I have even less patience now than I did a couple of years ago.

I stand with Opcode completely in regards to the (Opcode) SGM. I don't care about the legality to do it, it's about our AA community having loyalty and respect for Ed...someone who has had so much to do with keeping the Colecovision alive as anyone.

Opcode has been here for years as an ambassador for the ColecoVision community with top quality games and hardware. This definitely earns my loyalty without question. 

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, TPR said:

Maybe not, but I speak as a moderator of AtariAge and I am here to keep the forums as drama-free as possible. If you want to test me on this, go for it, but as I said before, it will not end well for any parties contributing to the drama.  So I suggest whatever it is you are about to start ends right here or I will end it for you. Understood?  Probably not, but at least I tried.

If I recall, one of the big issues with the j-box was the bad audio buzz people reported but was never rectified or acknowledged. Adding new hardware to these retro systems isn't as trivial as it may seem. Just ask the 7800 homebrew hardware makers or Albert what kind of hell testing across the various evil versions of the 7800 motherboard is. Even the Colecovision has variant quirks.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TPR said:

If you want to argue semantics, fine, but I think you knew what I meant [...] if you thought I was harsh before, please do not test me as I have even less patience now than I did a couple of years ago.

There's no argument here. I will reiterate that it was and remains my opinion alone. There is no testing of anyone, at least by me, and that was never the intention of my words.

I have no idea to what you refer in the final sentence. Given it seems to have occurred in the past, it's probably better to leave it there.

Edited by mumbai
italics correction
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Just take a look at the number of people lurking the thread when there's a bit of drama  :roll:

Good point. Next time we have to announce something, we can start with drama first. That should make sure we have a sizable audience listening. :P 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, christo930 said:

It's gimicky. Speech rarely adds much to a game.  Though it might be kind of cool for a Berzerk port to have the same speech as the arcade original.

The Berzerk port that is nearing completion was originally going to support the Juicebox’s Say Game Module that included a Speech Synthesizer (I don’t recall the chip, but it was the same one used by Eve Electronics in their Adam Speech Synth/Clock Card back in 1985). After numerous “issues” between Juice and the community, Juice left and speech synth in Berzerk was dropped.

Honestly, I can give a “F” one way or another if MrPix makes and releases an SGM clone after all the BS that has gone on between developers over the years. However, with his abilities and tons of stock that he always states that he has, why not go the whole 10 yards with a new hardware device and add all the extra bells and whistles to it along with the additional 32K RAM and AY sound chip to make something truly unique instead of just a clone of the SGM.

Making a simple clone of the SGM seems so beneath MrPix’s vast talents.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Just take a look at the number of people lurking the thread when there's a bit of drama  :roll:

18 minutes ago, opcode said:

Good point. Next time we have to announce something, we can start with drama first. That should make sure we have a sizable audience listening. :P 

Awesome! This thread seems to have found something that Retroillucid and Opcode can agree on and support one another over!

Miracles can happen!

Salutations to both of you and keep the good vibes rolling.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Awesome! This thread seems to have found something that Retroillucid and Opcode can agree on and support one another over!

Miracles can happen!

There's nothing personal between Eduardo and I 
I guess we're just very passionate about doing CV stuff
Even if we're not always agreed, I think it's safe to say that we still respect each others works
It happens even in the best families ;) :)

• Like 9

1 minute ago, NIAD said:

Miracles can happen!

It isn't my fault that people don't seem to grasp our truly lovely relationship....:)

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

It happens even in the best families ;) :)

That is a good definition. I remember I had an in-law that I wanted to punch now and then... But most the time he was ok, like when he wasn't visiting me.  :)  j/k

• Like 1