IGNORED

mode4 clash fixer tool

rensoup

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

yeah I saw it but, I'm not gonna lie, I think it took a beating, it's one of those that probably can't be converted properly (maybe)

Yes, some colors got dropped.

It might be down to analyzing the 35 color interlaced palette generated from the color settings used here.  A better render might be possible.

All this is, is a blending of two G2Fs, one Antic 4, one GTIA 10, which share the same BAK and PF0-PF3 color settings.  It is by no means optimal, sadly.

7 hours ago, rensoup said:

You're not making any sense... all the pics labelled as multicolor are 16 colors. You can download the prg for most of them and run it on a real machine.

Screenshots were taken on emulators and may have some effects applied to them which would bump up the number of colors

Your conclusion doesn't make sense ;)

1. The images don't show the real thing.

2. You need to buy a C64 to see the real stuff

3. If you don't have the real thing , you'd have to believe what the computer shows to you.

4. Wow: C64 had 28 colors and 16 different lumas.

Conclusion: C64 was better than written in the books. If the real thing doesn't exist, you cannot check the facts and have to believe your available sources.  They are everywhere, so they might be correct ;)

Luckily there are sources, showing the real images, banishing a lot of those flying unicorns.   

It helps to analyze the image , and to think of solutions ...

3 hours ago, rensoup said:

A bit of progress...

( pic from this demo: https://csdb.dk/release/?id=112424 )

610311403_yodaC64.png.b9eeaf8c89176de9b7865389ca270546.png   1813508721_yodaA8.png.7b867d9c95a59557ebc505928bad5a57.png

yoda.obx 23.95 kB · 3 downloads

Not sure how you built this exactly. 

But the dli colored border destroys the image. 

The picture is rather low on colors per scanline. It's 5 to 7. So a unicolor border (dark grey ?) really should be possible. 

On 8/15/2020 at 1:50 AM, MrFish said:

Looks good.

Do you have enough resources available to mask the sides with black P/M's? Then you can just make the top and bottom strip black with playfield and it'd all look more polished.

Thanks, regarding masking with PM, it may be possible for this picture but most of the time it's too big a compromise...

Well you know the limitations... I'll probably have it as an option though.

(I prefer it looking untidy on the border rather than inside)

Threads like this one also point to some "not so unrelevant" part of the graphics department. 

The color mixing, pixrl dither, or even transition painting, needs to be different on the Atari. It is possible to adopt images from the C64 palette to the Atari palette, but the pixels on the C64 were more to create spare part colors. 

Removing the "spare part color pixels" solves some color usage problem, as the Atari could bring the more correct color. 

Only when pixels were used to show details, they need to be adopted 1:1 . 

Not so easy to find a software based filter for that, I guess.

16 hours ago, emkay said:

Threads like this one also point to some "not so unrelevant" part of the graphics department. 

The color mixing, pixrl dither, or even transition painting, needs to be different on the Atari. It is possible to adopt images from the C64 palette to the Atari palette, but the pixels on the C64 were more to create spare part colors. 

Removing the "spare part color pixels" solves some color usage problem, as the Atari could bring the more correct color. 

Only when pixels were used to show details, they need to be adopted 1:1 . 

Not so easy to find a software based filter for that, I guess.

sure dithering creates extra colors on the C64 but it also gives extra details and fuziness so removing it isn't always the solution.

...pretty popular picture it seems!

4 hours ago, Philsan said:

On March 2019 I tried with Rastaconverter.

Unfortunately the result wasn't perfect.

yeah it just zapped 2 out of 5 body colors... pretty decent result nonetheless

4 hours ago, emkay said:

I did a hand recoloring to have less errors in the picture...

In the coloring of the lower hand, you see that Mode 4 is stronlgy recommended for that, to have clean images.

nice... the changes are subtle... My purpose wasn't to get this specific picture on the A8 at any cost though but rather push that tool to see what I can get while staying as close as possible to the original.  

4 hours ago, rensoup said:

nice... the changes are subtle... My purpose wasn't to get this specific picture on the A8 at any cost though but rather push that tool to see what I can get while staying as close as possible to the original.  

I know. 

But have a look from that point. 

Changing the colors , to have the picture looking better with the atari's pallette , made it better for Rastaconverter to adopt the image. 

Sounds weird, but the color pre-processing allowed to have a closer result to the original. 

• 2 weeks later...