IGNORED

Screen flicker with Lynx GD (RESOLVED)

mario64

Just got my Lynx GD today and noticed something weird right away. The screen began to flicker on and off almost as if it had a loose connection. It wasn't constant just intermittent. Thing is, this does not happen with real cartridges. My screen is a McWill LCD installed by McWill himself. Anyone else seeing this?

Edited by mario64

10 hours ago, mario64 said:

Just got my Lynx GD today and noticed something weird right away. The screen began to flicker on and off almost as if it had a loose connection. It wasn't constant just intermittent. Thing is, this does not happen with real cartridges. My screen is a McWill LCD installed by McWill himself. Anyone else seeing this?

If the cartridge isn't making good connection you will get the "INSERT GAME" screen -- sometimes the connection is such that this screen will flicker. I can only think this is what you are seeing.

Otherwise the cart is just as any other game -- it cannot interfere with other hardware.

Does the cart boot OK otherwise? Any other issues?

5 hours ago, SainT said:

If the cartridge isn't making good connection you will get the "INSERT GAME" screen -- sometimes the connection is such that this screen will flicker. I can only think this is what you are seeing.

Otherwise the cart is just as any other game -- it cannot interfere with other hardware.

Does the cart boot OK otherwise? Any other issues?

Turns out the problem was my power supply. I was using the official OEM adapter which apparently is insufficient with a McWill screen installed. Changed to an aftermarket one I had and the problem went away

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mario64 said:

Turns out the problem was my power supply. I was using the official OEM adapter which apparently is insufficient with a McWill screen installed. Changed to an aftermarket one I had and the problem went away

Does Lynx GD pull more power than a regular cart?

18 hours ago, mario64 said:

Does Lynx GD pull more power than a regular cart?

Very little -- around 1-2ma more with rough measurements. The McWill screen is considerably more power hungry than the original screen, though, from what I understand, which will be stressing the voltage regulator and PSU more than a stock Lynx.

The LynxGD will be more susceptible to low voltage and noisy power supplies than a regular cart as well, as it's far more than just a bit of memory.

Edited by SainT

3 hours ago, SainT said:

Very little -- around 1-2ma more with rough measurements. The McWill screen is considerably more power hungry than the original screen, though, from what I understand, which will be stressing the voltage regulator and PSU more than a stock Lynx.

The LynxGD will be more susceptible to low voltage and noisy power supplies than a regular cart as well, as it's far more than just a bit of memory.

Ok thanks again. That explains why my aftermarket PSU works better. It’s the premium model from retrogamecave.com

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/4/2020 at 2:42 PM, mario64 said:

Ok thanks again. That explains why my aftermarket PSU works better. It’s the premium model from retrogamecave.com

Does anyone know where I can get a more powerful PSU in the UK? I have a McWill fitted Lynx coming and I have the LynxGD also. retrogamecave.com can't tell me when they're able to start shipping to the UK again (although they will at some point) so it could be a long wait.