IGNORED

Knight Guy in Low Res World: Castle Days

vhzc

Some of the rooms take less than that to get through them if you know the timing of things. I did make a video just now of another run through. Not as fast though as I died a few times in the run and picked up most of the hearts and potions. But in this video I also state some of my strategy for the rooms that some people might have picked up on yet.

But I won't post the link here as again it seemed to bother some members so that's cool.

2 minutes ago, vhzc said:

I was never happy with the previous fish, so I redesign it as a shark, those water should be warm :)

Captura de pantalla_2020-08-24_22-21-14.png

Holy crap! the timeframe window to drop down there will be trickier now I assume! And don't get me started about your designing that room to combat my jumping across to get to the other side tactics LOL!!!

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Holy crap! the timeframe window to drop down there will be trickier now I assume! And don't get me started about your designing that room to combat my jumping across to get to the other side tactics LOL!!!

Maybe I overreacted a little bit ?

Captura de pantalla_2020-08-25_12-31-45.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vhzc said:

Maybe I overreacted a little bit ?

Captura de pantalla_2020-08-25_12-31-45.png

Whoa!...so now I can't even do my drop between the orbs trick in this early room? I thought you like the pace and speed I was getting on this? LOL!!! But this does make it more difficult for sure. Especially since it is possible to shift left and right while on the ladder. I would suggest that to help with this, that you make Knight Guy latch onto the ladder in the center when he gets to it like you do later in the levels with the platform that floats back and forth we need to jump on.

4 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Whoa!...so now I can't even do my drop between the orbs trick in this early room? I thought you like the pace and speed I was getting on this? LOL!!! But this does make it more difficult for sure. Especially since it is possible to shift left and right while on the ladder. I would suggest that to help with this, that you make Knight Guy latch onto the ladder in the center when he gets to it like you do later in the levels with the platform that floats back and forth we need to jump on.

I like the pace and speed you get... except in the ladder rooms ?

The auto centering it`s a good idea, I think I will implement it, thanks for the suggestion.

3 minutes ago, vhzc said:

I like the pace and speed you get... except in the ladder rooms ?

The auto centering it`s a good idea, I think I will implement it, thanks for the suggestion.

Well there is one caveat to the auto centering on the ladders. Your spikes on that wall aren't needed anymore since you wouldn't be able to move left and right on the ladder and just up and down. So a flat plane to prevent jumping over the ladder would be enough at that point. Although they do look cool and it is good to see those spikes brought back! Maybe use them as additional decoration on the side walls with skeletons stuck to them or something for ambiance?

But auto centering on the ladders would make it easier for beginning players to get past that first room.

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well there is one caveat to the auto centering on the ladders. Your spikes on that wall aren't needed anymore since you wouldn't be able to move left and right on the ladder and just up and down. So a flat plane to prevent jumping over the ladder would be enough at that point. Although they do look cool and it is good to see those spikes brought back! Maybe use them as additional decoration on the side walls with skeletons stuck to them or something for ambiance?

But auto centering on the ladders would make it easier for beginning players to get past that first room.

It could be auto centering when you first reach the ladder, but still allow to exit from the ladder when you want,

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vhzc said:

Im not sure I like the auto-centering idea. I never like feeling trapped on a ladder. I think it would take away from the free roaming feel of the game and make it feel more restricted/on rails and give it a less polished feel.

edit: looks like you posted as I was posting.  :)  Your idea of centering, but still allowing exit from sides may feel good.  I guess we’d have to play it that way to see. ;)

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

Im not sure I like the auto-centering idea. I never like feeling trapped on a ladder. I think it would take away from the free roaming feel of the game and make it feel more restricted/on rails and give it a less polished feel.

edit: looks like you posted as I was posting.  :)  Your idea of centering, but still allowing exit from sides may feel good.  I guess we’d have to play it that way to see. ;)

If that is the case then him adding in the spikes so you can jump from the ledge down below without using the ladder feels constricting and on rails too yes? I mean, we are now being forced to use the ladder for both going down and up whereas, before I only had to use it when going back up. Although in some rooms you still have to use the ladders just because there isn't really a way to bypass. I think I only do it in like 3 places in the whole game and there are way more ladders than that of course. 

Maybe make it auto center when you first get near them (It already essentially auto places you on a ladder when you are over part of it anyway) and allow for moving off it would still work. I kinda use that tactic in a few other rooms already where I have to use the ladder to start my descent and then just drop off the side to save time soon as I'm able. 

To prevent the jumping over the ladders simply put the spike wall as you do but it doesn't have to go down as far. Just enough to prevent jumping over it. And I still think skeletons need to be added to them LOL!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If that is the case then him adding in the spikes so you can jump from the ledge down below without using the ladder feels constricting and on rails too yes? I mean, we are now being forced to use the ladder for both going down and up whereas, before I only had to use it when going back up. Although in some rooms you still have to use the ladders just because there isn't really a way to bypass. I think I only do it in like 3 places in the whole game and there are way more ladders than that of course. 

Maybe make it auto center when you first get near them (It already essentially auto places you on a ladder when you are over part of it anyway) and allow for moving off it would still work. I kinda use that tactic in a few other rooms already where I have to use the ladder to start my descent and then just drop off the side to save time soon as I'm able. 

To prevent the jumping over the ladders simply put the spike wall as you do but it doesn't have to go down as far. Just enough to prevent jumping over it. And I still think skeletons need to be added to them LOL!

Skeletons and other decorations will be added here and there once all is set. 

Captura de pantalla_2020-08-25_13-16-06.png

• Like 3

Climbing ladders off-center is often beneficial, for example in Rooms 32-34. I’d be disappointed to lose that. For that matter the auto-centering platforms feel a bit out of character for this game. Is it worth using a difficulty switch to enable or disable auto-centering for both ladders and platforms?

For Room 10 specifically, the change in timing (from Beta 08) was a definite improvement over the original (where we could just run straight through). The Beta 08 Room 10 is fun and worth keeping. You could use the one with spikes as a different room.

The design of the shark looks great — certainly more identifiable than the old fish, though the blade-nose had its own surrealist appeal — but I’m not wild about the purple and pink color scheme.

All JMO of course.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bizarrostormy said:

Climbing ladders off-center is often beneficial, for example in Rooms 32-34. I’d be disappointed to lose that. For that matter the auto-centering platforms feel a bit out of character for this game. Is it worth using a difficulty switch to enable or disable auto-centering for both ladders and platforms?

For Room 10 specifically, the change in timing (from Beta 08) was a definite improvement over the original (where we could just run straight through). The Beta 08 Room 10 is fun and worth keeping. You could use the one with spikes as a different room.

The design of the shark looks great — certainly more identifiable than the old fish, though the blade-nose had its own surrealist appeal — but I’m not wild about the purple and pink color scheme.

All JMO of course.

You can still clear both sets of flying objects climbing up the center. You might have to start with being closer to the bottom object than you might like to pull it off but it can be done. I'm guessing that he will change my strategy for how I backtrack through that section because as he wasn't aware until I did it, you can jump from the top screen at the right time and fall through the next 2 without damage. The video I posted of my playthrough for Beta 10 shows me doing that and I hadn't actually told or shown that to anyone before as it saves the most time of any other trick we were using in the game up to that point.

Also if the auto centering or Magnetic effect were removed on the so far one and only moving platform, then how would we stay on it while it was moving otherwise?

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You can still clear both sets of flying objects climbing up the center. You might have to start with being closer to the bottom object than you might like to pull it off but it can be done. I'm guessing that he will change my strategy for how I backtrack through that section because as he wasn't aware until I did it, you can jump from the top screen at the right time and fall through the next 2 without damage. The video I posted of my playthrough for Beta 10 shows me doing that and I hadn't actually told or shown that to anyone before as it saves the most time of any other trick we were using in the game up to that point.

IMO having multiple ways to get across is a good thing, especially if there are interesting trade-offs.

When going up the ladder, finding the optimal horizontal position can save some time but is not easy without stopping. I am aware that going up the center is possible, but restricting the player to the center would make that part of the game more one-dimensional.

When descending, how hard is it to time your jump? IMO a trick like that is fine unless it’s too easy.

24 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Also if the auto centering or Magnetic effect were removed on the so far one and only moving platform, then how would we stay on it while it was moving otherwise?

I have no issue with the quick backtracking at the long ladder screens, the falling method was considered as option to add variety, but  it supposed to be required some zigzaging, but you found a much more quick way.

Edited by vhzc

37 minutes ago, bizarrostormy said:

IMO having multiple ways to get across is a good thing, especially if there are interesting trade-offs.

When going up the ladder, finding the optimal horizontal position can save some time but is not easy without stopping. I am aware that going up the center is possible, but restricting the player to the center would make that part of the game more one-dimensional.

When descending, how hard is it to time your jump? IMO a trick like that is fine unless it’s too easy.

I will send a PM with my URL at that point so you can see it. I always suspected it was possible and one day..just jumped to see what would happen and it worked. But with the semi grab onto ladders bit already there, sometimes the jump isn't done right and I end up with the ladder messing me up and I *poof*