IGNORED

Knight Guy in Low Res World: Castle Days

vhzc

I don't think the timer is showing up quite right on mine? But then again...maybe. Also the timer isn't in actual seconds I'm guessing since it doesn't match up with the actual time in the video length.

I did a walkthrough video just now also showing the glitch that @sramirez2008 spoke of that he discovered. Not sure it shaves any time off, but I suppose it would if you didn't go back for potions and hearts?

Spoiler

• Like 2

@-^CrossBow^- You’re walkthrough makes it look so easy? Thanks for capturing the glitch. I have to admit that I have not paid attention to the timer yet. I’ll have to keep an eye on it. @vhzcmaybe the font could be changed? the numbers are a bit too close together.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2020 at 1:17 AM, vhzc said:

UPDATE 2020 07 19

Tweaks the timer font and made it more precise.

Corrects the position of exit of END of BETA screen

Hopefully corrects the incorrect jump to upper platform in levels 20-23

Some minor cosmetic changes as well.

knightguy20200719.a78 144.13 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you very much for testing it.

I released a quick update that should correct the reported issues.

The timer not will be totally exact, but now the difference should stay in just some seconds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vhzc said:

Thank you very much for testing it.

I released a quick update that should correct the reported issues.

The timer not will be totally exact, but now the difference should stay in just some seconds.

Quick test before bed time:

-Timer appears to be working well and the graphic looks good

-Incorrect jump to upper platform in levels 20-23 appears to have been corrected

I was unable to complete the game (2 tries only). It seems like the speed of the big chains that drop down (levels 19 & 23) has changed. I need to get my timing down again. That or its just getting late here. 

Thanks for the quick update. I tried bouncing off all possible walls and couldn't find any issues with this build.? 

• Like 4

I will give it a try when I can. Windows10 makes is a royal pain to update any images onto the mateos even with my batch file that removes the hidden files etc. properly. I have to do it like 2 or 3 times to get it to work right it seems.

• Like 1

@-^CrossBow^- if yours is like mine I've found the key is to pull it slightly out of the reader and 7800.

I can get it working consistently by pushing it all the way into the reader, then pulling it out just enough to see the silver of the cartridge's connector.

Then I plug the reader in to the PC, my batch file removes the system folder and copies the ROM in one go and can sometimes take a second, then use the remove devices option and unplug the whole thing and take the cartridge out.

Then I plug it in to my 7800, and again pull it out just enough. There's a bit of trial and error to get the height, angle, and windspeed correct before it'll read.

After all that I usually find I used the a78 instead of the bin or that I didn't give it the right extension and have to repeat the process.

11 minutes ago, SmittyB said:

@-^CrossBow^- if yours is like mine I've found the key is to pull it slightly out of the reader and 7800.

I can get it working consistently by pushing it all the way into the reader, then pulling it out just enough to see the silver of the cartridge's connector.

Then I plug the reader in to the PC, my batch file removes the system folder and copies the ROM in one go and can sometimes take a second, then use the remove devices option and unplug the whole thing and take the cartridge out.

Then I plug it in to my 7800, and again pull it out just enough. There's a bit of trial and error to get the height, angle, and windspeed correct before it'll read.

After all that I usually find I used the a78 instead of the bin or that I didn't give it the right extension and have to repeat the process.

That sounds like some esoteric ritual.

Peril, Ninjish Guy, and Castle Days are all among my favorites for the 2600, so I am thrilled to see you bringing this to the 7800.

And it’s a really good look, too. I especially like the partial backgrounds. They add atmosphere without being overbearing.

How many rooms do you expect eventually?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bizarrostormy said:

Peril, Ninjish Guy, and Castle Days are all among my favorites for the 2600, so I am thrilled to see you bringing this to the 7800.

And it’s a really good look, too. I especially like the partial backgrounds. They add atmosphere without being overbearing.

How many rooms do you expect eventually?

Thanks! I am aiming to 100 or so screens.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, vhzc said:

That sounds like some esoteric ritual.

I can be but that is because the Mateos was built around the time that XP was still a prominent OS and Win7 was just coming to light. But with Win8 and especially with Win10, things got complicated because Win10 likes to create hidden System volume files/directories on every damn thing you plug into your computer that can store files. These hidden files/directories literally take up most of the space of the small partitions that exist in the mateos cart banks of storage. So yeah, sometime ago I created a batch file that when ran, will delete all the files and hidden stuff from the mateos bank partition you are currently selected to so that you can then copy over a new binary to read and play from. But just the act of copying over the file can  still cause win10 to dump unwanted crap into the flash banks etc. So it can be a trick to work with these on modern OSes. I'm not sure if the issues the Mateos had with newer versions of MacOS were ever resolved either?

The Mateos works exactly as expected when using an older OS but it can be a ritual of sorts getting them working on newer systems.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:17 AM, vhzc said:

UPDATE 2020 07 19

Tweaks the timer font and made it more precise.

Corrects the position of exit of END of BETA screen

Hopefully corrects the incorrect jump to upper platform in levels 20-23

Got some more testing in today. I can confirm that everything described above is working.?

86322077-607F-4C6E-A338-32486E3F0145.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I will give it a try when I can. Windows10 makes is a royal pain to update any images onto the mateos even with my batch file that removes the hidden files etc. properly. I have to do it like 2 or 3 times to get it to work right it seems.

I have the same problem and would gladly pay Tuesday for an app that would correct this issue today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeap..the new font on the timer is much easier to read now! Also...I died a few times towards the end due to being impatient, but here is my quickest run yet.

KG_B5_Time1.thumb.jpg.6a4aaeeca8e48be5558577c40ca601b6.jpg

It is in black n white as I pressed Paused when I got to the middle of the banner.

• Like 5

Okay...I can see that we’re going to need to start playing for “best time”.  @-^CrossBow^-that’s really good for all 43 rooms.:o

Hmm...the timer aspect of the game has “patch” written all over it. I’d love a Knight Guy patch and I think @-^CrossBow^-already won it. ?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sramirez2008 said:

Okay...I can see that we’re going to need to start playing for “best time”.  @-^CrossBow^-that’s really good for all 43 rooms.:o

Hmm...the timer aspect of the game has “patch” written all over it. I’d love a Knight Guy patch and I think @-^CrossBow^-already won it. ?

Thanks! I really like the game and if you know what rooms are coming up or even if you don't and just pause for a split second, you learn the timings on them well. I only grabbed the last potion and heart on that run and skipped the others as I hadn't lost any guys up to that point. I know if I did this more (The above was my third run through today), that I would have the rooms totally memorized and speed up the play through that much quicker. Not sure by how much, but it might be possible to do 5:30 on that timer?

• Like 6

On 7/20/2020 at 4:22 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Thanks! I really like the game and if you know what rooms are coming up or even if you don't and just pause for a split second, you learn the timings on them well. I only grabbed the last potion and heart on that run and skipped the others as I hadn't lost any guys up to that point. I know if I did this more (The above was my third run through today), that I would have the rooms totally memorized and speed up the play through that much quicker. Not sure by how much, but it might be possible to do 5:30 on that timer?

5:30 seems about right. This is my best run. I took one potion, died several times, and dawdled a bit in a few rooms.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 5.11.31 AM.png

• Like 5

Okay...5:30 on the timer is definitely possible as seen below and I actually think that 5:20 is possible. I died once on one of the rooms with the floating spike blocks and again towards the end but skipped extra potions and hearts this time.

Sorry the pic isn't better as I'm taking them with my cell phone hence you can see the outline of my TV etc..

KG_B5_524.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I'm more curious why it's in black and white? Old phone? :P

When you pause the game, the game screen goes to black n white. The actual game and my cell phone are able to take color pics.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Okay...5:30 on the timer is definitely possible as seen below and I actually think that 5:20 is possible. I died once on one of the rooms with the floating spike blocks and again towards the end but skipped extra potions and hearts this time.

Really great time.

I am already adding more screens :)

1604121514_Capturadepantalla_2020-07-22_12-47-47.thumb.png.5d46edde50f06445ab0132f2d4a59af4.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vhzc said:

Really great time.

I am already adding more screens :)

1604121514_Capturadepantalla_2020-07-22_12-47-47.thumb.png.5d46edde50f06445ab0132f2d4a59af4.png

That looks pretty awesome! But now you have to reveal your room select cheat since I know there isn't anyway possible to get to room 44 in under a minute! LOL!

Also I've found a small bug on actual hardware. It seems after you have pressed reset a few times, that the lighter green color you are using for the room number and also on the snake...will turn to white?

8 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

That looks pretty awesome! But now you have to reveal your room select cheat since I know there isn't anyway possible to get to room 44 in under a minute! LOL!

Also I've found a small bug on actual hardware. It seems after you have pressed reset a few times, that the lighter green color you are using for the room number and also on the snake...will turn to white?

I will check that, thanks for let me know it.