IGNORED

Speech syn for beige TI-99/4a

hloberg

1 minute ago, wierd_w said:

How's this look to you?  Color swatches have been color matched as closely as I can get them to match.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68760066895_closematch_small.thumb.png.917a5078a0c3070c3407c7abc3927e52.png

looks about as close as you can get it.

suggestion: as i said i painted my speech when i found i had a can of beige paint mostly unused. well when I finished and put it next to the console, it looked wrong. it was too yellow. so i got another can of beige with a bit of a tan tint and repainted it and that looked right. the color isn't exact but the slight tan looked a whole lot better than the slight yellow. the bottom of the console is more of a brown so the tan complements that with the top. I know you probably won't have a lot of colors of thread to choose from so I would go with a color that is more tan than yellow.

looks way too orange to me..

that's the thing with that color, it not on any color chart I seen. it's a between color. it's not tan or gray or beige really. but I did triple check your color or two laptops and a high end monitor and it is too gray when you put it up next to the console. try this one, it's, to my eye, even closer than the last one. https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/4003

I'm going to print it and then lay it on the console. the white webpage might be tricking my eye.

Just now, wierd_w said:

desert tan was the color of krylon I got and resprayed the speech with. the krylon desert tan was a bit more tan but close.

fyi, I printed out 4178 and it does look too greenish gray setting on the console.

3 minutes ago, hloberg said:

desert tan was the color of krylon I got and resprayed the speech with. the krylon desert tan was a bit more tan but close.

fyi, I printed out 4178 and it does look too greenish gray setting on the console.

I would say the desert tan is closer than the hacker's tan. would it help if I mailed you the swatch I printed. it's an almost exact match.

The problem is that nobody wants to have a comprehensive color library for their PLA offerings, and everyone is using super washed-out stock photos of their material.

But I did find an interesting filament if we want to do black + silver.

https://www.amazon.com/Silk-Silver-Filament-Printting-Materials/dp/B06XSBFB17/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=silver+pla&qid=1596588544&sr=8-4

• Like 1

The problem is that nobody wants to have a comprehensive color library for their PLA offerings, and everyone is using super washed-out stock photos of their material.

But I did find an interesting filament if we want to do black + silver.

https://www.amazon.com/Silk-Silver-Filament-Printting-Materials/dp/B06XSBFB17/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=silver+pla&qid=1596588544&sr=8-4

well if your choice is between hacker's tan and desert tan, krylon desert tan is what with and it looks good.

5 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

Desert tan it will be then.

Any close analogues for the bottom tone?

oh lordy, when i painted my speech I was going to two tone it like the console but that bottom color I couldn't find even close off the shelf. let me play around with some of the colors off pantone and i'll see if I can find a close enough and we'll see if you can find a color thread matching.

3 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

I looked at both of them. but like you said, the pictures aren't the greatest. what i ran into is if you went a brown 'wood' color it tended red so here, the khaki, maybe. if you could find a color just little darker to the khaki?

Not really...  Again, not a comprehensive color library out there.  Czech khaki I added with an edit is pretty close, but possibly too yellow.

yah, it's too yellow. like I said, I could never find a rattle can paint match of the bottom color that was even close. It's a dark khaki tan and that's about all I can tell you.

you know, we nicknamed these the beige TI99s but in reality its the tan or khaki TI99s. :)

Well..  I am going to reference this thread and the dialog on color picking we just dropped in it, after about another week.

I get paid biweekly, and am not the most wealthy.  I should have some disposable income to drop on filament then.

An alternative would possibly be @Mehridian Sanders , who confided that he is intending to set up a filament recycler/extruder. (he intends to buy bulk PLA pellets, and fabricate filament.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/4/2020 at 7:06 PM, wierd_w said:

Well..  I am going to reference this thread and the dialog on color picking we just dropped in it, after about another week.

I get paid biweekly, and am not the most wealthy.  I should have some disposable income to drop on filament then.

An alternative would possibly be @Mehridian Sanders , who confided that he is intending to set up a filament recycler/extruder. (he intends to buy bulk PLA pellets, and fabricate filament.)

I actually have been wanting to try Beige. 

This PLA should be arriving on Saturday this week (08/22/2020)

https://www.amazon.com/3D-Solutech-Filament-Dimensional-Accuracy/dp/B071L3L6MC

• Like 2