Magmavision2000

They finally listened! A good update!

Us folks in the land of the setting sun are getting:

SNES: DONKEY KONG COUNTRY!!!, and Natsume Championship Wrestling

NES: The Immortal

The boys in Japan are getting:

SFC: Super Donkey Kong, and Shin Megami Tensei

FC: VICE: Project Doom

This is the most promising update in a while, my only gripe is that they're only trickling out NES and FC games, hopefully next update they give us a bit more. I'm definitely looking forward to this update!

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-switch-online-reveals-new-snes-nes-games-for-july-2020-update/

Edited by Magmavision2000
  • Like 1

Okay, now I'm curious -- who owns the rights to The Immortal?

Edit: I just looked that up... Piko Interactive?  Those are the folks making various retro game carts for all sorts of systems... that's interesting.

Edited by DavidD
  • Like 1

Oh boy, the update's here!!!

DKC makes this update worth it, if they just put DKC on the SNES app, I'd be fine. Of course, everyone knows about DKC and knows it's good, so I won't talk about it.

Natsume Championship Wrestling is pretty good as well, the controls are a little clunky, but you can work around that. Overall I'd say the SNES update is great. Now we need Earthbound and Actrasier and maybe people like me will shut up!

The Immortal is an ok game, it has a little bit of an EU smell, but the music is great and I can definitely see myself playing it more in the future. 

As for the Japanese updates, the Famicom app got VICE: Project Doom, which is already on the NES app so I won't say anything about it, as for Shin Megami Tensei, it has a lot of Japanese text, and I don't know enough to play it so you'll have to find out if its good or not yourself.

Overall, this update as a whole is pretty good. 

If Nintendo does more updates like this, then I'll stop complaining.

17 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Oh boy, the update's here!!!

DKC makes this update worth it, if they just put DKC on the SNES app, I'd be fine. Of course, everyone knows about DKC and knows it's good, so I won't talk about it.

Natsume Championship Wrestling is pretty good as well, the controls are a little clunky, but you can work around that. Overall I'd say the SNES update is great. Now we need Earthbound and Actrasier and maybe people like me will shut up!

The Immortal is an ok game, it has a little bit of an EU smell, but the music is great and I can definitely see myself playing it more in the future. 

As for the Japanese updates, the Famicom app got VICE: Project Doom, which is already on the NES app so I won't say anything about it, as for Shin Megami Tensei, it has a lot of Japanese text, and I don't know enough to play it so you'll have to find out if its good or not yourself.

Overall, this update as a whole is pretty good. 

If Nintendo does more updates like this, then I'll stop complaining.

15 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I probably won't play any of them but now I do want them for some reason... ;)  (and thank you for not talking about DKC! ^^)

I'm 'one of those guys' that think the Earthbound/Mother series was an overrated ponderous mess of an RPG that folks desperately want to be popular.  

I rented Actraiser shortly after it released for the SNES and was captivated by the music score of the game- it has some pretty neat game mechanics too.  It was one of the first games where my dad (who stopped playing video games in the TI 99 4A / Atari 2600 era) thought that the game was worth watching and listening to.  I played tons of computer/Atari/NES/SNES stuff (and similar) but he paid attention to Actraiser's soundtrack.

• Like 1

Actraiser's sountrack by Yuzo Koshiro is great, indeed. The thing is, especially as a kid, I didn't have the patience for RPGs or sims, so as soon as I beat the first level of Actraiser and there was this SimCity-like map... ? I'd probably like EarthBound, though, but I don't have the time.

Oh, and sorry Magma for being nasty; I'm in a bad mood because I didn't win a contest (and didn't even get the results ?)...

Edited by roots.genoa
apology
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

as for Shin Megami Tensei, it has a lot of Japanese text, and I don't know enough to play it so you'll have to find out if its good or not yourself.

It's entirely in kana from what I remember, and it's quite annoying to play in Japanese without kanji. As for the game, it's okay. Excellent music, of course, and it's the only game I've ever played where I prefer the SFC music over the MD/Mega-CD music (Mega-CD version uses the YM2612 for the music instead of having CD audio for some reason and the arrangements are not exceptionally well done) but I've never gotten far, mostly because the last time I played it, I accidentally killed my save data and more or less gave up. I'll get back to it eventually.

It's a bit of a frustrating game in the beginning because it's difficult to get demons at first, your dude's damage output is pitiful since he's basically just a weak support type that's there just to back up his demons, and it's easy to die. I've heard it gets much better after the Great Cataclysm, though.

I don't like old RPGs with boring battle systems like the one this game has, but I'm planning on eventually getting through this game just because it's Shin Megami Tensei and because I actually managed to find a CIB copy. The game itself isn't rare or expensive (CIB copy is under 2000 yen), but finding it in the box is much more difficult than you'd think. Looking at it now, it's funny to see that it launched at 9800 yen (price is printed on the back of the box, actually), but it's clearly a budget title with extremely bland graphics and very poor use of color. Still, nobody can deny the game's importance.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Actraiser's sountrack by Yuzo Koshiro is great, indeed. The thing is, especially as a kid, I didn't have the patience for RPGs or sims, so as soon as I beat the first level of Actraiser and there was this SimCity-like map... ? I'd probably like EarthBound, though, but I don't have the time.

Oh, and sorry Magma for being nasty; I'm in a bad mood because I didn't win a contest (and didn't even get the results ?)...

That one solitary game, that amazing amazing ActRaiser truly made me aware of the majesty of how damn good 33khz sampled sound audio the SNES could do for the first time and it still sticks to me so well all these decades later.  Super Mario World was a good couple week push or so to complete, then just fiddled for awhile after.  First two games I worked my ass off doing chores and odd stuff at home was that and Gradius III.  Both starkly different, both with amazing music in their own way, but while G3 was very sci fi, digital, sounded as it was arcade-ish...Actraiser wow.  That moment I heard the pipe organ it grabbed me, but later, once MUSIC was discovered and one of those 2 tracked copies of classical music began to play it hit that moment odds are most would say Squaresoft did for them on SNES with FF2.  That game hit a whole other level that really broke the mold from what the 8bit chiptune music and tinny audio the Genesis would do too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

That one solitary game, that amazing amazing ActRaiser truly made me aware of the majesty of how damn good 33khz sampled sound audio the SNES could do for the first time and it still sticks to me so well all these decades later.  Super Mario World was a good couple week push or so to complete, then just fiddled for awhile after.  First two games I worked my ass off doing chores and odd stuff at home was that and Gradius III.  Both starkly different, both with amazing music in their own way, but while G3 was very sci fi, digital, sounded as it was arcade-ish...Actraiser wow.  That moment I heard the pipe organ it grabbed me, but later, once MUSIC was discovered and one of those 2 tracked copies of classical music began to play it hit that moment odds are most would say Squaresoft did for them on SNES with FF2.  That game hit a whole other level that really broke the mold from what the 8bit chiptune music and tinny audio the Genesis would do too.

Gradius III was soooo good.  I mowed a lot of yards to get G3 :)

• Like 1