IGNORED

Are new Joycons safe to buy?

boxpressed

Nintendo just accepted my repair order for my original Joycons (drift). I want to buy a replacement pair since I'll be without them for a while.

Are 2020 Joycons you'd buy from Amazon or Best Buy fixed, or has anyone encountered the drift problem with these too?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 6:30 PM, boxpressed said:

Nintendo just accepted my repair order for my original Joycons (drift). I want to buy a replacement pair since I'll be without them for a while.

Are 2020 Joycons you'd buy from Amazon or Best Buy fixed, or has anyone encountered the drift problem with these too?

They have not done anything to fix the drift issue on new joycons as far as anyone knows. They all have the same likelihood of developing the issue

2 hours ago, Leatherrebel5150 said:

They have not done anything to fix the drift issue on new joycons as far as anyone knows. They all have the same likelihood of developing the issue

Thanks. I ended up buying a new set anyway and will be sure to keep my receipt and even the original packaging.

You would think they would just add an option in the settings to change the deadzone amount. BAM, problem solved!

Although I suspect there is something else going on. I bought a Mayflash adapter so I could use my WiiU Pro Controller with the Switch, and that controller has been 100% perfect on the WiiU and on PC, but on the Switch, I think it's when the controller goes to sleep (from being idle), when it comes back on, there will be some slight drift to it. I recently found out there's an option to recalibrate the sticks, but I haven't tried it yet. Mayflash made it really easy to adjust the deadzone on the fly, so that fixed the problem completely the few times it happened to me.

Either way, seems like it's more software issue than hardware, which should be dead simple for them to fix.

anecdotally, i bought a pair of joycons in february this year and am shipping them off with another set as soon as i get the shipping info from Nintendo.

with one set both sticks drift, with the other the left joycon won't stay attached to the switch (slides off).  I had a neon-yellow set that also did the 'slidey' thing.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, boxpressed said:

Got my replacement joycons today. Look brand new. Took a little less than a month for turnaround. 

I just got two back... for some reason, only the RIGHT Joy Cons had issues on two different pairs.  It looks like I got back two brand new Joy Cons.

While I do worry about the long-term lifespan of these, I feel comfortable knowing they're still repairing/replacing them for free.

If there's a refresh of the system over the next year or two, maybe they'll redesign the joystick assembly.