IGNORED

New Microsoft Flight Simulator

Is anyone planning on getting this? It looks really good so far, but we'll see. I'm kind of worried that it will turn into DLC Simulator, though. The 150GB of storage space is also a concern since my SSD is 260 GB and almost full, so I'd have to put the game on my HDD or delete almost everything on my SSD/move everything to my HDD just to fit this one game.

Still, I love Flight Simulator, so I will probably end up getting this anyway.

1 hour ago, Agamon said:

I have Game Pass, so I'll definitely try it. The idea of pretty much the entire world being mapped put is pretty cool.

Let us know how it is! I might go ahead and get it on or near launch day, though!

57 minutes ago, Albert said:

That does look damn cool, here's a trailer for those who haven't seen it:

Been a long time since I've played with Flight Simulator.  Like, over two decades.  :D

..Al

Yeah, that's the one! I can't imagine how powerful your PC has to be to run this thing at max settings since those recommended specs things are never accurate that I've seen, and even now Flight Simulator X gives me trouble on my October 2017 build.

I haven't played it for a few years, though, and I think simply getting rid of shadows should greatly boost performance. I forgot what anti-aliasing I was using, though, and you don't really need that at all at HD resolutions. Maybe I'll dig out the box later today and try it!

Edited by Steven Pendleton

28 minutes ago, pce_collector said:

My PC is a potato, so I'm looking toward the supposed Xbox One release.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got released on the Xbox Series X, as well. I don't think it's an Xbox Series X system seller for me since my PC should probably be able to take some of the abuse, but there's no way in hell that I can run it at max settings. Still, I've been thinking of upgrading, so perhaps this game will be a nice benchmark.

11 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, that's the one! I can't imagine how powerful your PC has to be to run this thing at max settings since those recommended specs things are never accurate that I've seen, and even now Flight Simulator X gives me trouble on my October 2017 build.

Unless you do a lot of low-level tweaking, FSX will crush a single core of your CPU and leave all the others twiddling their thumbs.  I think at the minimum, you also need the Combat Simulator add-on because it has a new engine that can finally use multiple cores.  But then you still have to tweak a text file in the install directory to make it actually use them.

In a small way, this ad changed my life a bit.  The screenshot for FS II captured my imagination, sold me on the system, and taught me the foundation for how to fly a plane.  You guys remember the books it came with?  I was like "this isn't just a game...."

Yep.  I'll give the new one a shot!

XEAD01.jpg

• Like 1

Looks remarkable, might have to read up on it.  I'm curious if they go all in on realism or you can get a bit cute with it as the detail there would make you question if you'll need a pilots license to handle the game.  And at 150GB I'll probably not buy it as I'm stuck using a 1TB drive as it is and that's a big chunk.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Looks remarkable, might have to read up on it.  I'm curious if they go all in on realism or you can get a bit cute with it as the detail there would make you question if you'll need a pilots license to handle the game.  And at 150GB I'll probably not buy it as I'm stuck using a 1TB drive as it is and that's a big chunk.

The preview I saw a long time ago (this has been in development for a while) claimed that their goal was physics realism.  I also read an article by someone who claims to be a pilot and was able to give it a go, and he seemed to have a lot of good things to say about it.  Of course, you never know how much of that was contractual vs real.

• Like 1

Historically after A2-FS1, MS flightsim has used lookup tables and predetermined charts for its flight model. Completely unlike X-Plane which calculates pressures and flows and allows for air disturbances created by the front of the plane to affect aft parts. Propwash is a commonly used example. And you can make some of those calculations visual with force & slipstream lines. I would hope that MSFS has evolved to a similar level of sophistication.

I so want to see this on PC. Even though the flight model has a chance of not being as realistic as X-Plane. The graphics have got to be orders of magnitude better. X-Plane has chosen a graphic rendering system that's rather dated/ And procedural graphics aren't the best for anything except high altitude - where everything looks the same.. Where a city can be defined by color patches and not landmarks. Flying by landmark in X-Plane isn't the ideal experience.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:25 PM, ChildOfCv said:

The preview I saw a long time ago (this has been in development for a while) claimed that their goal was physics realism.  I also read an article by someone who claims to be a pilot and was able to give it a go, and he seemed to have a lot of good things to say about it.  Of course, you never know how much of that was contractual vs real.

Sounds like a gamble.  I don't mind realism to a point, kind of like a spread between arcade/sim like stuff, but if it gets too far into reality planes, cars, whatever, I get turned off fairly quick because I don't have the patience or hours free to really sit through and learn all that flight modeling, car handling, etc to handle every switch, turn, pedal, etc.  For those who can it's a dream no doubt, including that pilot if it wasn't just a paid endorsement of sorts.  Maybe that's why I enjoyed the mixed bag of that old 90s era stuff.

On 7/13/2020 at 11:36 PM, Albert said:

That does look damn cool, here's a trailer for those who haven't seen it:

Been a long time since I've played with Flight Simulator.  Like, over two decades.  :D

..Al

[Keanu]

Woooooaaaahhhhh!

[/Keanu]

That was pretty wow....i'd hate to see the specs for the tiny god required to run it at that detail.

Last I played with MSFS was 2010'ish. "They" say the program used to run about 4-6 years ahead of its time. That was acceptable back then. Especially on PC. But today you either provide smooth detail or you get criticized to no end. Consumers have no tolerance for excuses anymore.

14 minutes ago, Gamemoose said:

That was pretty wow....i'd hate to see the specs for the tiny god required to run it at that detail.

Whatever the specs for the latest Xbox are. Should be standard stuff.

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Sounds like a gamble.  I don't mind realism to a point, kind of like a spread between arcade/sim like stuff, but if it gets too far into reality planes, cars, whatever, I get turned off fairly quick because I don't have the patience or hours free to really sit through and learn all that flight modeling, car handling, etc to handle every switch, turn, pedal, etc.  For those who can it's a dream no doubt, including that pilot if it wasn't just a paid endorsement of sorts.  Maybe that's why I enjoyed the mixed bag of that old 90s era stuff.

There's a modern Piper Cub in the plane lineup that's called the CubCrafters XCub. Flying it will be about as difficult as taking your car down to your local grocery store. 

Just don't go load up the Boeing 747-8, lol.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Atariboy said:

There's a modern Piper Cub in the plane lineup that's called the CubCrafters XCub. Flying it will be about as difficult as taking your car down to your local grocery store. 

Just don't go load up the Boeing 747-8, lol.

Interesting.  I went and did some historical digging, and I realized all those years ago I put a lot of time into MS Flight Simulator 5.1, as it was the last DOS release and had at least 2+ scenery packs for it.  It was just a nice chill thing and I can recall you could fiddle with how 'real' you wanted it too to a point so I found it at times just chill fun, sort of like LINKS386 golf was relax worthy.  I'm tempted to snap up the game off ebay just for the hell of it as it's dirt cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely picking this up, it looks like it'll be amazing. I highly recommend watching this video - it's an Irish guy who got into flightsim with the original Sublogic flight sim, and went on to become a pilot instructor IRL. He's been playing the new MS flightsim and seems to confirm that it's something rather amazing.