IGNORED

Are we due for another Simpsons game?

It's been ages since there was a console Simpsons game... and I know they haven't always been well-received, but it feels crazy weird to have been so long without one.  Is the franchise just tired of money?  Is EA afraid of making another bomb?

35 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I'd be fine with a remaster of The Simpsons: Hit & Run for a start. That to me was far and away the best Simpsons game.

I was a big fan of Road Rage, and everything have heard suggested Hit and Run was better.  So I'd love that.  

I was thinking the licensing issue would make a new game far more likely than a remaster of an old one, though.

3 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

I was a big fan of Road Rage, and everything have heard suggested Hit and Run was better.  So I'd love that.  

I was thinking the licensing issue would make a new game far more likely than a remaster of an old one, though.

Road Rage was "racing," while Hit and Run was like Grand Theft Auto III, being mission-based and more open world (although there was a lot of driving along with the platforming elements). I did like Road Rage as well, but it's one of those games where I felt it didn't truly take advantage of The Simpson world. It was basically Crazy Taxi--still fun, but something that would work just as well with just about any other interesting license attached.

While The Simpsons Game was pretty good, it just didn't have the charm of The Simpsons: Hit & Run. It was more a by-the-numbers 3D platformer and was just not as much fun for me, although I'll admit I have a natural bias against most 3D platformers. 

Although there have been several dozen Simpsons games, I think I've played most of them, and most of them were disappointing. My top three would probably be The Simpsons: Hit & Run, The Simpsons Arcade, and Road Rage. Nothing else really comes to mind as worth playing for me personally.

My guess is that EA is content with the money the Tapped Out makes, since freemium mobile games take less money to make, and make way more money than console games generally do. Quite frankly I'm not sure what EA could do with a console Simpsons game now, outside of a Hit and Run remake. Given the licensing nightmare that's sure to ensue, I doubt they want to make that either.