IGNORED

Champ Games - Qyx (aka Qix) for the Atari 2600

johnnywc

6 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Yes, it seems the Atari 400/800 version indeed uses auto-drawing. The No Swear Gamer talks about that in this video. Would be great if this could be an option.

I would have to try, but it seem like this mode would cause a lot of unwanted draws when you try to move around zig zag draw lines

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trinity said:

How long until it's for sale?

Hi there!  We're about 80% done with plans to add 2 player modes (vs, co-op) and a CHALLENGE mode with different challenges per level.  We also plan on releasing Lady Bug Arcade and Gorf Arcade in late 2021/early 2022, respectively.  We also have Turbo Arcade to complete and release, so Qix will most likely be ready for sale either summer 2022 (if it's released before Turbo) or holiday season 2022.  So many games, so little time! :P  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

If you draw many curves and a long way the screen „jumps“ once and everything’s normal again. I played v2 PAL version. 

Hmm, I know I was pretty close to maxing out the overscan time before; it must be hitting an edge case with longer paths now that I reduced the # of lines to 262. ?  Was the screen roll after you completed a path before the flood fill?  If so, it's probably the time it takes to convert your drawn path to a border.  Thanks for the feedback! :thumbsup:  

1 hour ago, johnnywc said:

Hmm, I know I was pretty close to maxing out the overscan time before; it must be hitting an edge case with longer paths now that I reduced the # of lines to 262. ?  Was the screen roll after you completed a path before the flood fill?  If so, it's probably the time it takes to convert your drawn path to a border.  Thanks for the feedback! :thumbsup:  

Sorry for the short „description“ - will make a video to better understand what I mean. 

Most important: This game is awesome - played some time and this is something very special! It is something unique and new to the Atari 2600 - great music/effects that produces a special atmosphere. Many tactics possible and you can play it in „different ways“. I‘m already a fan of it. ?

Edited by Bomberman94
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 5:21 PM, Bomberman94 said:

Sorry for the short „description“ - will make a video to better understand what I mean. 

Thanks, that would be helpful!  :thumbsup:  

Most important: This game is awesome - played some time and this is something very special! It is something unique and new to the Atari 2600 - great music/effects that produces a special atmosphere. Many tactics possible and you can play it in „different ways“. I‘m already a fan of it. ?

Glad you're enjoying it!  Yes, I agree the sounds done by @PacManPlus really give the game a unique atmosphere and vibe. :music:  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing an Exclusive WIP Update of Qix from  CHAMP  GAMES  on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 6

On 11/6/2021 at 1:55 AM, Dionoid said:

Yes, it seems the Atari 400/800 version indeed uses auto-drawing. The No Swear Gamer talks about that in this video. Would be great if this could be an option.

I just got my hands on a QIX cart for the Atari 800. It indeed uses auto-drawing, which might initially appeal to first-time QIX players, but I found it really hard to move along the existing lines. All the time I was accidently drawing new lines close to the existing ones, and then got the QIX hitting my line.

I guess the Atari 800 version of QIX tried to fix the one-button problem by using auto-drawing, but IMO it was not a succes. I like the current demo version for the 2600 much better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I found it really hard to move along the existing lines. All the time I was accidently drawing new lines close to the existing ones, and then got the QIX hitting my line.

That's exactly what I was expecting. Does the Atari 800 version have a switch do disable this?

14 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That's exactly what I was expecting. Does the Atari 800 version have a switch do disable this?

No, there is no way to disable this. Also reading the manual, I found no indication for disabling auto-draw.

https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Atari_8_bit//Manual/formated/Qix_-_1982_-_Atari.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

4 hours ago, chewy said:

kudos for putting this together and keeping it very arcade like gfx this is a real good example on what the future holds for VCS

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it! :thumbsup:  

15 minutes ago, chewy said:

wow.  I think i got to level 4!  maybe it was beginner level.  i played it a lot theres a lot of replay value in it.   Would it be for sale through "champgames" site directly, is that it- when is this projected to happen and at about what pricepoint- thanks

Good job!  Right now we're looking at a summer 2022 release (after Lady Bug Arcade and Gorf Arcade), with the ROM available at https://champ.games a few months after that.

12 minutes ago, chewy said:

what is "threshold"?

Threshold is the % of the area you need to fill.  For example, in STANDARD the threshold is 75%.  You get bonus points for completing a level and claiming a % above the threshold (1,000 points for each 1%).  

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

John

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Qix has been nominated for the Atari Homebrew Award for Best Homebrew WIP (Port)!

766685561_Atari2600BestWIPHomebrew(Port).thumb.jpg.9f270484777b4dc799e3271feb98061a.jpg

Thanks to @Nathan Strum for the amazing graphics ? and @PacManPlus Bob DeCrescenzo for the awesome sounds! :music: 

There are many amazing games nominated this year for the Atari 2600, Atari 5200/8 bit, Atari 7800 and Atari Lynx.  If you haven't already, visit the link, play some games and cast your vote for your favorites!

*Qix has been moved up the schedule and will be the next game released by Champ Games, most likely mid-to-late Spring of 2022.  We are currently working on an exclusive 2 player co-op mode and Challenge Mode with power ups and special level challenges.  Stay tuned for more info! :D  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ATARIAGE DAY 2022: FALL EDITION

THIS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!

image.thumb.png.4e98180760fb7a4f108513c2b3f789c8.png

Make sure you tune in this Saturday and Sunday to ZeroPage Homebrew for the biggest LIVE UNBOXING and INTERVIEW EVENT OF THE YEAR for Atari Homebrew! ZeroPage Homebrew will be hosting AtariAge Day 2022: Fall Edition celebrating all the newest Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Atari Jaguar releases!

Saturday Nov 12 & Sunday Nov 13, 2022
LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT (Click for your local time)
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

We will be talking LIVE to the developers of TWENTY FOUR GAMES that are hitting the AtariAge Store:

• Blocks (2600) - Jeremiah Knol & Jeff Haber
  • Boulder Dash (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch & Andrew Davie
  • Gorf Arcade (2600) - John Champeau
  • Grizzards (2600) - Bruce-Robert Pocock
  • Lode Runner (2600) - Dion Olsthoorn
  • Oozy the Goo Slime Quest (2600) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • Qyx (2600) - John Champeau
  • RAPTOR (2600) - Andrew Pauley
  • RubyQ (2600) - Silvio Mogno
  • Stratovox (2600) - Carlos Centeno
  • VROOM! (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch
  • Rob 'n' Banks (5200) - Ryan Witmer
  • 2048 (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Attack of the PETSCII Robots (7800) - Mike Saarna
  • Dragon's Havoc (7800) - Todd Furmanski
  • Galaxian Arcade (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Keystone Koppers (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Popeye (7800) - Darryl Guenther
  • Slide Boy in Maze Land (7800) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • UniWarS (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Chaos Engine (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Gods (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Stormbringer (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS EPIC LIVESTREAM!

- James

• Like 2