IGNORED

Battlemorph reprint and soundtrack

Songbird

CD Version as a download for emulators would be what I'd love most ;-)

In the meantime, I'd for sure order an audio CD (and/or digital download of that if it were available).

I picked up the Tempest audio CD a while back from myAtari on eBay and really liked that.

1 hour ago, KevinMos3 said:

Hovercraft

A crazy-in-all-the-right-ways sexy midnight black feline hovercraft ?  Some of us love our CD units.  I put some 90's music on the VLM in the background every time I'm soldering up a project, and I get to play the good version of Hoverstrike whenever I want.  I put cinepak cartoons on it for my kids.  Don't regret the purchase for a minute.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Songbird said:

Eventually I might try combining it with the Jaguar CD Unleashed BIOS to see if I can fake out enough calls to get it to boot on a Skunkboard. Then, if I'm seriously pursuing a cartridge version, I would fix all the peripheral stuff like Memory Track calls swapped for EEPROM calls, adding a small amount of music back into the game, etc. until I fill up a 6MB cartridge. :)

I believe CJ has implemented ADPCM audio decompression in his Bad Apple demo ; it could be useful to store more music in the cart.

It is also possible to create bank-switching cartridges to go beyond the 6 MB barrier ; since the original game is CD-based, it doesn't need fast access to ROM, and so the cartridge's data bus could be reduced to 8 bits to lower costs.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:05 PM, cubanismo said:

A crazy-in-all-the-right-ways sexy midnight black feline hovercraft ?  Some of us love our CD units.  I put some 90's music on the VLM in the background every time I'm soldering up a project, and I get to play the good version of Hoverstrike whenever I want.  I put cinepak cartoons on it for my kids.  Don't regret the purchase for a minute.

Plus where would you be without your pilot profile picture?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, racerx said:

Won't happen...Thunderbird won't let that go.

Gotta pony up for a real copy or go pirate on Etsy.

Well, there must be some reason.  I would think if some money could be made and or the community would be made a better place by its presence, then why not.  If it were my IP then I would at least want it out there for others to enjoy.  I'd really prefer not to go pirate but the prices for originals are very prohibitive.

20 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

Well, there must be some reason.  I would think if some money could be made and or the community would be made a better place by its presence, then why not.  If it were my IP then I would at least want it out there for others to enjoy.  I'd really prefer not to go pirate but the prices for originals are very prohibitive.

Clearly you weren't here when Thunderbird was a regular. Neither of the pros that you listed matter to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That survey is tough.  I've owned the game since '96 and it's one of my favorites on the Jag.

- I wouldn't pay $20 just for an audio CD.  That much is certain.

- I'm not sure if I'd pay $50 for the game (+ audio CD) again, but I'm more likely to do that than just buy the audio CD for $20.  I would like to see it available for others to buy and enjoy because it really is a gem on the Jag and I wasn't aware of how much the ebay price has gone up over the years, so I like the idea of re-releasing the game on disc.

- I'd like to have it on cartridge, but only if in-game music weren't totally neglected (so, unlike IS2).

Thanks Carl, already have it on CD, no real interest there.

BUT... I am 100% interest in getting it on cartridge, and I would buy it right now if you had it available.

Instead of completely getting rid of the cut-scenes, a screen shot or something would be nice. Also some digital music instead of CD audio music would be nice. I assume you'd do something like that though.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Hyper_Eye said:

Clearly you weren't here when Thunderbird was a regular. Neither of the pros that you listed matter to him.

Clearly I was not.  I have been on sporadically since 2001 or 2002 but not to the extent that I would know who he is.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Realistically I would need at least 50-100 pre-orders on one or both CDs to make those worthwhile, particular if released with nice retail packaging, manual, etc. And I'm sure that a cartridge version would be popular since it would allow a lot more people the opportunity to play the game, but that is of course a lot more work. Thus the cart version won't happen this year. But maybe over the next few months I can try hacking the game to run on the Skunkboard just to see what kind of effort it would take to make it a nice product.

Edited by Songbird
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Songbird said:

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Realistically I would need at least 50-100 pre-orders on one or both CDs to make those worthwhile, particular if released with nice retail packaging, manual, etc. And I'm sure that a cartridge version would be popular since it would allow a lot more people the opportunity to play the game, but that is of course a lot more work. Thus the cart version won't happen this year. But maybe over the next few months I can try hacking the game to run on the Skunkboard just to see what kind of effort it would take to make it a nice product.

Hell i'll get a reprint of the game probably if you make it. 

There are certainly 100+ Jag CDs in the wild and this WILL sell.  Trouble is the game was pretty common so i think anyone with a Jag CD has it already.  A cart will be the big seller. 

36 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Trouble is the game was pretty common so i think anyone with a Jag CD has it already. 

I have 3 CD units and no Battlemorph.  I almost pulled the trigger on an eBay copy last week, but with the prospect of a reprint with a soundtrack CD included for less, I couldn't justify it.

Thing about the CD unit is CD-Rs keep non-collectors from paying crazy eBay prices, but I'd feel guilty playing a burned copy when a real one is on offer that still actually benefits the rights holders, so I'd definitely purchase it then. That's how I came to own World Tour Racing: tried it out from a .cdi copy, then found out it's one of the games still for sale.  Bundling the soundtrack would make it even more compelling for me, but I'd still buy it without it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

I have 3 CD units and no Battlemorph.  I almost pulled the trigger on an eBay copy last week, but with the prospect of a reprint with a soundtrack CD included for less, I couldn't justify it.

Thing about the CD unit is CD-Rs keep non-collectors from paying crazy eBay prices, but I'd feel guilty playing a burned copy when a real one is on offer that still actually benefits the rights holders, so I'd definitely purchase it then. That's how I came to own World Tour Racing: tried it out from a .cdi copy, then found out it's one of the games still for sale.  Bundling the soundtrack would make it even more compelling for me, but I'd still buy it without it.

This, but I only have 2 CD units.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I already have the original Jag CD version of the game so a re-issue isn't of much interest to me.

The soundtrack CD is however, this game has some of the best music of any game EVER!  The soundtrack CD would be an essential purchase.

I'd also be interested in the cart version and / or an expanded ROM for the Jag GD.  I'd pay good money for a decent official ROM.

Keep up the good work Carl.   

On 7/27/2020 at 10:03 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

Hell i'll get a reprint of the game probably if you make it. 

There are certainly 100+ Jag CDs in the wild and this WILL sell.  Trouble is the game was pretty common so i think anyone with a Jag CD has it already.  A cart will be the big seller. 

I have a Jag CD and alas no BattleMorph. Bids on original copies on eBay get a little too crazy for me. Looking forward to the re release. At least that should bring down the original somewhat...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I would be more inclined for a cart version, I got a sealed mint copy of this recently from ebay and the price was not expensive - I think about $70 from a seller in Germany and it was sealed and mint and there were a few other copies available at the time especially in Europe... Just not sure how rare this title actually is.

Still working on a CD reprint for Battlemorph; in fact, we've been doing manual layout for the past few weeks since we don't have the original print files. No meaningful progress on a cartridge version, and FYI having a traditional cart would most likely not include music. Having said that, I'm also looking at other options for Battlemorph including a license for the Jaguar GD and/or a release on a SD card which would still include the manual, case, etc. So that means there are a number of possibilities here with relative retail prices:

CD reprint with case + instructions $$

SD card for Jaguar GD with case + instructions $$

Download for Jaguar GD $

Cart version $$$

The goal would be to offer a cheaper license for the download for people who just want to play, while of course the physical versions would cost more, with the cart version costing the most. Probably I should do another poll. :) In the meantime, feedback is welcome.

• Like 4

On 7/21/2020 at 7:03 PM, CyranoJ said:

No on CD. Let the toilet die.

The Game Drive is showing promise to do that.   Over time as those that want a GD are given the chance to buy them, and when the CD support is fully established, that might just happen.   Finger's crossed!  :D

On 7/21/2020 at 7:09 PM, joeatari1 said:

I enjoy my toilets.  Long live the toilets! ?????????:rolling::lolblue:

On 7/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, KevinMos3 said:

Hovercraft.  Not a toilet.  Hovercraft.  ?

Jaguar and CD unit makes a good hovercraft.   Add a regular cartridge at the top of the two and it makes a good toilet.

1 hour ago, Songbird said:

...No meaningful progress on a cartridge version, and FYI having a traditional cart would most likely not include music. ...

Really excited about this Songbird.   I would love to have Battlemorph on cart that I could just pop in and play.   I think without music it would be great as Cybermorph also does not have music.  And Cybermorph is a regular play for me.  

Also want to get the soundtrack.   And if there was any way to make it where the cart version could cue CD tracks from the sound track (or from whatever CD you put in) that would be awesome.

As for another Battlemorph CD, sure, could use another copy.  But really want Battlemorph on cart.

• Like 2