IGNORED

Atari 7800 Homebrew: Into The Void / Number Crusher

fultonbot

36 minutes ago, fultonbot said:

Will anyone have a problem if I split my games into three separate threads, with the latest demos available in the first entry?
I don't want to clutter-up the forum but I also don't want to be an outlier who does things differently for no particular reason.

I think by the point you are intending them to be separate games, they deserve their own threads for discussion, updates, etc.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, Muddyfunster said:

would the driving controller or paddle be an option?

This please.

I like this game and agree with Muddyfunster. The gameplay would benefit from paddles or driving controller support. Thanks for sharing.

On 7/24/2020 at 10:27 AM, bhall408 said:

Is dual/stereo POKEY a thing on 7800 homebrews like it is on 8-bit? (I've never heard of that for 7800, but games like Yoomp! on 8-bit sure sound awesome with it)

Quoting myself... Now that Dragonfly is out, I think TIA+POKEY+YM would be the way to go for amazing sound. ie, no sense in dual POKEY as found in 8-bit games.

While the Dragonfly is mono out, we'll convert that to stereo in Argon (already done for TIA & POKEY), and at some point later provide an API so you can optionally do panning under program control.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2021 at 11:34 AM, bhall408 said:

Quoting myself... Now that Dragonfly is out, I think TIA+POKEY+YM would be the way to go for amazing sound. ie, no sense in dual POKEY as found in 8-bit games.

Quoting myself... again...

We ended up doing Stereo TIA, Stereo POKEY (1 chip) and dual POKEY/POKEYMAX (in stereo) for the current release of Argon.

We finally found some license compatible code such that we can add YM as well, so that will show up at some point. It just isn't in the current build.

So feel free to give it a go -- if you will be doing dual pokey, you just need to have the flag set properly in the A78 header. Ping us if you need help/feedback on that.

1 hour ago, SlidellMan said:

Hmm...I think you could update your firing routines. Have a power-up that gives you a longer reach, but as a trade-off: a slower rate of fire.

Yeah, it's still the one from my first attempt.   Now that I'm happy with the progress on the boss levels I'm going to return to the main part of the game and update it based on the other stuff I've developed since.

3 hours ago, bhall408 said:

Quoting myself... again...

We ended up doing Stereo TIA, Stereo POKEY (1 chip) and dual POKEY/POKEYMAX (in stereo) for the current release of Argon.

We finally found some license compatible code such that we can add YM as well, so that will show up at some point. It just isn't in the current build.

So feel free to give it a go -- if you will be doing dual pokey, you just need to have the flag set properly in the A78 header. Ping us if you need help/feedback on that.

Just one pokey.  Can I side-load my games on Android?

18 hours ago, fultonbot said:

Just one pokey.  Can I side-load my games on Android?

Yes - you can either have them in a folder on the device (local storage) or you can have them in your Google drive, and then access them across all your devices.

Use the .a78 file format for 7800 games.

See:

Add games to My Library in Argon - Android device  

Add games to My Library in Argon - Google Drive  

• Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Into the Void on tomorrow's (Fri Apr 2, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

PLEASE NOTE SPECIAL START TIME OF 12PM (NOON) PT DUE TO HOLIDAY WEEKEND

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Last Stand: Halloween on tomorrow's (Fri Oct 29, 2021) HALLOWEEN stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Love the new interstitials between waves!

We had featured the prior version in last months "Spooktacular" section of Argon...

That section ends this coming Friday, to be replaced with a winter/holiday themed collection later this month.

I could see Winter Holiday themed "Last Stand" as a future sequel ;-)

Halloween Spooktacular Landscape Final.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beta version now live,
Still lots of bugs to stomp and needs massive game balancing.
Now there are 25 levels of different enemies, 8 levels of power-ups.
I made all the "holiday" graphics I could think of, and then, well, I just made more stuff to shoot at.
Starts at Halloween, then goes to Xmas, New Years, Valentines Day, etc.
A bit of slow-down at the higher levels, but the code is messy and unoptimized so there is room for improvement (hopefully) 
See binary attached below:

Play It Here:
JS7800: Atari 7800 Emulator (raz0red.github.io)

Watch It here:

laststand2023_beta_1_0.78b.a78laststand2023_beta_1_0.78b.bin

laststand2023_beta_1_0.78b.zip

Edited by fultonbot
  • Like 4