IGNORED

Cool Free NES Tetris "Kraken" themed game !

Awesome NES game FROM BELOW ?

That's right, came across this and thought I would share. Not just in the classic 8-bit NES style but in fact actually available to play online in a browser based NES emulator

or even better download the latest ROM file direct from the author to play in an emulator or even on actual NES compatible hardware using Flashcart / Everdrive etc. 

https://mhughson.itch.io/from-below

A fun and impressive game! Check out this screen shot as well an excerpt of the description. Link to itchio . com for more info and ROM downloads. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.9cc37de0c2ddccb0173136c20b36c847.PNG

The Kraken cometh...

From the deepest trenches of the ocean, the Kraken has come to lay waste to your city!

The archers have slung every arrow.
The burning tar has run dry.
Every piece of military weaponry has been dispatch.

And yet... the Kraken moves forward, climbing the towering walls of your seaside fortress.

With no ammunition left, the city itself moves from a barricade, to a weapon!

The stones of the walls are broken off, and hurdled down at hideous creature. And it just might be enough to
slow it down till morning, when surely help will arrive...

---

Hi! I am working on my first Homebrew NES game, FROM BELOW! 

It a falling block puzzle game featuring:

Soft Drops
Hard Drops
Wall Kicks
T-Spins
Lock Delay
3 modes of play:
Kraken Battle Mode

The signature mode of FROM BELOW. Battle the Kraken by clear lines across the onslaught of attacking Kraken Tentacles. The Tentacles push more blocks onto the screen every few seconds, forcing to act quickly, and strategize on an every changing board.

nes_tetris_july_03_gameplay_edit.gif.f612edbacd3915eafbfc0e0e5735b0f8.gif 

Classic Mode

The classic block falling mechanics you know and love without any new gimicks. Modernize for 2020, with Hard Drops, Lock Delay, and more, making this (hopefully) the best feeling puzzle game on the NES!

Turn Based Kraken Battle Mode

Similar to "Kraken Battle Mode", but instead of the Kraken attacking every few seconds, it advances its tentacle every time you drop a piece. Make every move count, as this move favors slow, deliberate play!

https://mhughson.itch.io/from-below

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 3

The word is, but the shapes they don't own.  That's why quite a few other games since Tetris legally got away with it such as Puzzled/Joy Joy Kid on Neo Geo.  Same exact shapes, but the gameplay isn't the same so they didn't get sued.  You just can't use the word tetronimoes to describe them or you're in for it.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 10:42 PM, Tanooki said:

The word is, but the shapes they don't own.  That's why quite a few other games since Tetris legally got away with it such as Puzzled/Joy Joy Kid on Neo Geo.  Same exact shapes, but the gameplay isn't the same so they didn't get sued.  You just can't use the word tetronimoes to describe them or you're in for it.

They do own the shapes as I understand it.

22 hours ago, PikoInteractive said:

They do own the shapes as I understand it.

They can't, or they really really don't care about who uses what which opens a huge open door to exploit them in a court battle.  Web/mobile Falling Lightblocks is straight Tetris, there's even a flaunted free skin/music top for it to 100% clone the NES release.  It plays, scores, and runs clear classic Tetris.  SNK has the game I mentioned during Tetris in its early huge prime with Puzzled as I said.  There are quite a lot of others as well that use the shape, some used more of the shapes.  Some did it into a pit or other ways, 3D block, etc.  Tetris owns that and tetronimos, but not the shapes.  It's like owning a square or a circle.