IGNORED

E.X.O. [Done]

7 hours ago, mdoerty said:

Looking forward to when this happens. Just got my package of the nine PRGe releases. Promotional material showed 10 games (with EXO also listed) plus a similar number coming soon. So I am hoping some will be out before Portland, so I can spread my purchases over time. 

I would second spreading out the releases.  Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic dopamine rush getting a box of nine games but man it was a struggle getting the hundreds of dollars together in time.  I feel that spreading out the releases would help us purchase them easier and maybe save @Albert some stress. 

28 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

I would second spreading out the releases.  Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic dopamine rush getting a box of nine games but man it was a struggle getting the hundreds of dollars together in time.  I feel that spreading out the releases would help us purchase them easier and maybe save @Albert some stress. 

Wouldn't you just buy the ones you could afford at the time and buy the others later? Why hold back games...

1 hour ago, AtariBrian said:

Wouldn't you just buy the ones you could afford at the time and buy the others later? Why hold back games...

Well that's what you do you pick and choose and get the others later.  I don't even know if it would be holding back you just apply them to the store when their ready rather than putting massive batches out. 

14 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Well that's what you do you pick and choose and get the others later.  I don't even know if it would be holding back you just apply them to the store when their ready rather than putting massive batches out. 

For some of us the only economical option is to buy in bulk once a year because we get so utterly boned on postage and import duty. Though now it's probably too expensive to do even that. The option to buy ROMs can't come soon enough for some of us. Much as I love having physical carts, they're becoming less and less viable.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, juansolo said:

The option to buy ROMs can't come soon enough for some of us. Much as I love having physical carts, they're becoming less and less viable.

Agreed ! :) 

I will be making Koppers available to purchase imminently (and Danger Zone, Tyre Trax and Dare Devil).  I have a few things I'm working out as I've never done that before.

E.X.O. will follow that model but as there is no physical release of E.X.O. yet, I have more things to figure out with that, depending on when that physical release is likely.

That said, E.X.O. is 100% going to be available as a digital purchase.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Agreed ! :) 

I will be making Koppers available to purchase imminently (and Danger Zone, Tyre Trax and Dare Devil).  I have a few things I'm working out as I've never done that before.

E.X.O. will follow that model but as there is no physical release of E.X.O. yet, I have more things to figure out with that, depending on when that physical release is likely.

That said, E.X.O. is 100% going to be available as a digital purchase.

Of course, finding the right flash cart for the system is also a challenge. I am open to suggestions as I know there are a variety of games that never made it past the digital format (or only a few copies were ever made).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mdoerty said:

Of course, finding the right flash cart for the system is also a challenge. I am open to suggestions as I know there are a variety of games that never made it past the digital format (or only a few copies were ever made).

There are a few flash carts available and some coming soon all with different features and capabilities, depending on what you want/need.

I made a summary here 

Right now if you want to run "everything" Dragonfly (not in production) or 7800GD (available very soon) would be your best options. (E.X.O. and my other games are tested and working with both of these).

Concerto + Expansion Modules would be another option but I've not tested E.X.O. with the Expansion modules as they are not available yet as far as I know.

E.X.O. won't work with a standard Concerto without the Expansion Module.

19 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

There are a few flash carts available and some coming soon all with different features and capabilities, depending on what you want/need.

I made a summary here 

Right now if you want to run "everything" Dragonfly (not in production) or 7800GD (available very soon) would be your best options. (E.X.O. and my other games are tested and working with both of these).

Concerto + Expansion Modules would be another option but I've not tested E.X.O. with the Expansion modules as they are not available yet as far as I know.

E.X.O. won't work with a standard Concerto without the Expansion Module.

Thanks. Sounds like the upcoming 7800GD is my best bet. Not in that much of a hurry. And looking forward to the (hopeful) physical release of EXO.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mdoerty said:

Thanks. Sounds like the upcoming 7800GD is my best bet. Not in that much of a hurry. And looking forward to the (hopeful) physical release of EXO.

I will also note that currently E.X.O. doesn't work with Backbit's 7800 adapter either. It would likely require @evietron to have the ROM of the game so she can figure out the specifics to see about getting it to work. Technically, I think the BBPro should be able to do it as the game is within the size limits she supports, and while the POKEY music is doing a lot of fancy tricks, she can likely get something going here too.

2 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

The last public demo is available. If the FW can be updated on the backbit to work with the demo then the final rom should too (both 512K with POKEY)

Does Koppers work on the Backbit?

Koppers works yes, but it has several graphical issues the entire time although it never locks up. But that has been an issue with most of your games on BBpro since the 7800 adapter was first relesaed.

• 2 weeks later...
WORLDWIDE EXCLUSIVE REVIEW OF E.X.O. Muddyfunster has allowed Atari7800Forever.com to get the first crack at reviewing the maze shooter/ adventure E.X.O. This review exhibits gameplay footage from all 5 worlds and has images never seen before online.
Muddy has some exciting news about this game coming soon, and Funkmaster V goes over the highlights and the lowlights of this much anticipated 7800 Homebrew.

exo thumbnail.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silver Back said:

Does this mean we'll see this one released soon?  Hopefully it gets a physical cart I think it deserves it as much as any game. But if it's rom only, will that rom work on concerto?

It is planned for a physical release, but that's likely to be towards the end of the year / PRGE time (need to talk to Al about that and the AA release schedule).

The ROM will be available for purchase soon, I'll post about that in the next couple of days. It won't work on a standard Concerto, but should work on the upcoming Concerto Expansion modules. When they become available, I'll see if I can get one to test upcoming releases (I don't have a Concerto to test on).

The E.X.O. ROM will work on Dragonfly, 7800GD, A7800V5.2+, MiSTer Core.

Full details in a few days :) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Cannot wait to buy a copy!

You mention A7800 as an emulator that will support the game, what about BUPSystem as an emulation option?

sTeVE

It will work on BUP but you won't be able to use the save slots and because BUP's POKEY implementation is not complete, some of the music sounds off. It "works" but I'd not recommend using it. A7800 version 5.2 or better would be my recommendation for playing under emulation, especially as you can set up an emulated High Score Cart and use that to save your progress as you play.

I'll provide a list of supported/recommended, platforms but right now that's :Dragonfly, 7800GD, A7800 v5.2+, MiSTer Core.

On other emulators (like BUP) your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing the Full Final Version of MuddyVision's E.X.O. on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

WATCH AT 1080p60 FOR BEST QUALITY

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew thanks for featuring E.X.O on the stream, glad you and Aerlan had fun!

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to play it on the show! It's so much fun and I'm really looking forward to doing a full playthrough on an upcoming After Dark!

- James

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been looking forward to this game for a long time, but I had been putting off playing it until I could play the full game on hardware with POKEY music. Now I can do that, and I've been enjoying playing the retail ROM and slowly making progress. 

Unfortunately I got a yellow screen playing on Kanika today. I don't know anything different I did compared to the other times I've played, so I'm not sure how to replicate it. 

On 8/20/2023 at 6:19 PM, Karl G said:

I've been looking forward to this game for a long time, but I had been putting off playing it until I could play the full game on hardware with POKEY music. Now I can do that, and I've been enjoying playing the retail ROM and slowly making progress. 

Unfortunately I got a yellow screen playing on Kanika today. I don't know anything different I did compared to the other times I've played, so I'm not sure how to replicate it. 

Karl, sent you a PM.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 12:19 PM, Karl G said:

Well, I just updated Karl's DF to the latest 1.09 FW on his DF around the 11th so that part is up to spec. In fact, I believed I played some EXO from his DF on my lab unit 7800. So that takes me to the next thought.. let me check some pics...

And...yeah his 7800 has one of the 'wonderful' Rockwell Mexico made 6502s in it. Also has a Rockwell TIA also which, I'm not sure I've seen before or noticed until now?

I didn't take any pics of the bottom of the console so I don't know if he has the deglitch cap added off the 6502's A15 line or not, although I did disable his extra timing circuit.