IGNORED

E.X.O. [Done]

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.abd1f61b1662ce5237c91a289433faf3.png

Some work in progress updates showing some experimental environmental effects and the new tile sets for Level 2 (The Factory) and Level 3 (The Ruined Temple). I've already made some minor tweaks on the Inca style head blocks.

I've also made some code changes and palette changes based on the feedback received so far (thanks!).

I will be putting together another demo that will fit on the mateos cards but probably not for a little while.

Also finished the shooting code for Danger Zone so i'll probably give that it's own thread soon.

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

The latest demo build of E.X.O. is available directly on the rather excellent JS7800 https://raz0red.github.io/js7800/

This build is slightly different to the one from a few weeks ago (some palette fixes, a couple of points where the player deaths felt a bit cheap are revised and a few other general code tweaks).

Plans for the next major version:

• Include level 2 (factory)
  • Thinking about revising the title section and removing the instructions etc.. I don't like the text with the 8 wide font so maybe rethink this section
  • Level select option - The game isn't totally linear. After level 1, select either level 2 or 3, but both need to be completed to open up level 4.
  • Ability to save progress so you don't have to start at level 1 each time you play.
  • Custom pause screen
  • Balance and more tweaks to level 1

• Like 8

Well, been trying to play this in JS7800 and have found a few things. For starters, I've lots lives soon as I enter a screen that I know didn't have an enemy there? This happened on the screen with the laser beam gate you have to time. I got through it and dropped down to the next screen below that I know starts off safe and my ship exploded and I was back at the start of the game? But I couldn't get it to reset or anything and the Life counter switches between 7 and 0? No buttons nothing. I have to reload the page to get it to start over. So that is the 1st major issue I've run into. i also thought the missiles on the ground and ceiling that come after your could be shot with the standard shot? Now they can only be taken out when using my missiles as well?

I've managed to get as far as I could with the previous release so yeah looks like the timings and difficulty has actually be increased from the original?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well, been trying to play this in JS7800 and have found a few things. For starters, I've lots lives soon as I enter a screen that I know didn't have an enemy there? This happened on the screen with the laser beam gate you have to time. I got through it and dropped down to the next screen below that I know starts off safe and my ship exploded and I was back at the start of the game? But I couldn't get it to reset or anything and the Life counter switches between 7 and 0? No buttons nothing. I have to reload the page to get it to start over. So that is the 1st major issue I've run into. i also thought the missiles on the ground and ceiling that come after your could be shot with the standard shot? Now they can only be taken out when using my missiles as well?

I've managed to get as far as I could with the previous release so yeah looks like the timings and difficulty has actually be increased from the original?

Thanks @-^CrossBow^-

The missiles have never been killable with the standard shot, only the player missile, that hasn't changed.

The timings on the most part have not been changed, where they have been changed, it's to make things easier. (the laser fence for example is slightly easier, some of the barrier enemies have been slowed down).

There are also a couple of points where rockets have been removed as they cause cheap deaths when approaching the screen from the reverse direction.

I've checked and rechecked the screen with the green laser barrier, I can't replicate the bug you mentioned. Will investigate that some more.

The next version demo will have a lot more balance tweaks to level 1 to make it easier and less brutal. (however if you think this is hard, I suggest checking out one of the 8bit versions of Cybernoid!).

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated :)

• Like 3

Having a very tough go at this as well.  The difficulty would be perfect for perhaps the third or fourth level, but out the gate, I'm really struggling; worse than the previous build.  The thing is it's not that "off".  Just needs some tweaking.  The timings to make certain spots and speed of enemies if slowed some, I believe would make a very significant difference.

Curious, is the development of this game being performed under a PAL system?  The reason I'm asking is that 16-17% speed difference between the NTSC (60Hz) and PAL (50Hz) systems typically experienced, may be just the thing needed here.

Suggestion of perhaps one or two of the following:

1.  Slow enemy, force field, and other timings down ~15-20% (Under NTSC).

2.  Allow multiple hits to the player (2 or 3) before the player is destroyed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. One of the biggest challenges with getting the balance right is that I play the game a lot when testing so it naturally becomes easier for me. The challenge feedback is really useful as I'm biased/ less prone to notice the difficulty. Ultimately I want a game that's a challenge, but not one that's frustrating to the point it's not fun. :)

@TreborInteresting point about the PAL and NTSC differences. I develop pretty much exclusively in NTSC, the same for the 2600, so I don't think it's that. I think JS7800 runs as NTSC.

@mksmith Thanks Matt, I looked into this and the collisions seem ok :

col2.JPG.a26f3e51a4b0ba569a18c3729c97cfc3.JPGcol1.JPG.fee4ad4c1f2cc9f85515b5eb4e452eff.JPG

Neither triggered a collision explosion. I'm going to look into it some more using my torture room screen and record some videos to check nothing in awry.

Some additional balance changes I've made to Level 1 :

• Slowed the patrol aliens down by around 20%, vertically and horizontally (the laser screen patrol aliens were already slower so they are not adjusted).
  • Screen #11 (Momento Mori)adjusted the design to make navigating the traps easier. Aliens patrol slower, further and the drop gaps are widened.
  • Screen #14 (Dulce Periculem) : Laser trap timer extended by 1 second.
  • Screen #20 (Mustang Sally) : 2 rockets removed, 1 rocket moved to a more fair placement.
  • Drone aliens no longer spawn if you are within 20 pixel of the screen edge (prevents deaths where you could be killed by a spawning drone as you move to change screen).
  • Turrets now wait longer before shooting their first shot, usually at least 2 seconds (except screen 5 - Cecco's Rise) as the turrent is in the middle of the screen so an adjustment shouldn't be needed)

A new JS7800 / A7800 ROM will be posted shortly.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Yeah the difficulty is no joke with EXO however i just keep going back for more punishment :)

That's me in a nutshell.  The game looks so great and the gameplay is enjoyable, just a bit too difficult, too much of a struggle to perform some functions 'just right'.

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

Ultimately I want a game that's a challenge, but not one that's frustrating to the point it's not fun. :)

Exactly.  I definitely don't want easy.  There is no real fun flying through a game that's easy peasy, but currently the pendulum is swung a bit too much the other way.

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

Some additional balance changes I've made to Level 1 :

• Slowed the patrol aliens down by around 20%, vertically and horizontally (the laser screen patrol aliens were already slower so they are not adjusted).
  • Screen #11 (Momento Mori)adjusted the design to make navigating the traps easier. Aliens patrol slower, further and the drop gaps are widened.
  • Screen #20 (Mustang Sally) : 2 rockets removed, 1 rocket moved to a more fair placement.
  • Drone aliens no longer spawn if you are within 20 pixel of the screen edge (prevents deaths where you could be killed by a spawning drone as you move to change screen).
  • Turrets now wait longer before shooting their first shot, usually at least 2 seconds (except screen 5 - Cecco's Rise) as the turrent is in the middle of the screen so an adjustment shouldn't be needed)

A new JS7800 / A7800 ROM will be posted shortly.

This sounds fantastic!  Looking forward to trying the new ROM. :)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Trebor said:

That's me in a nutshell.  The game looks so great and the gameplay is enjoyable, just a bit too difficult, too much of a struggle to perform some functions 'just right'.

Exactly! The game looks great, it makes me want to play it and i want to beat it :). The rage kicks in after making it a decent ways through and losing all my lives. That's all well and good, until restarting and blowing out 3 of my lives on the first few screens again ?. Personally i think if the first checkpoint was a little easier to reach, it will lower the punishment ?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Exactly! The game looks great, it makes me want to play it and i want to beat it :). The rage kicks in after making it a decent ways through and losing all my lives. That's all well and good, until restarting and blowing out 3 of my lives on the first few screens again ?. Personally i think if the first checkpoint was a little easier to reach, it will lower the punishment ?

:)

With the lower speed on the blocking aliens, it should be a bit easier to get to the first checkpoint now.

• Like 2

Thanks again for the fantastic feedback guys.

Emulator build 231_1b

Balance changes in full

• Screen # 3 (Banyan Tree) : Removed a rocket that could result in a cheap death on first entering the screen.
  • Screen # 4 (Broom Cupboard) : Reduced drones from 5 to 4, increased the spawn delay slightly
  • Screen #11 (Momento Mori): Adjusted the design to make navigating the traps easier. Aliens patrol slower, further and the drop gaps are widened.
  • Screen #13 (Central Cavern) : Reduced drones from 5 to 4, increased the spawn delay slightly
  • Screen #17 (The Gubbins) : Adjusted turret slightly.
  • Drone aliens no longer spawn if you are within 20 pixels of the screen edge (prevents deaths where you could be killed by a spawning drone as you move to change screen).

Remember the screens aren't linear, the screen# doesn't directly equate to the order you see them, it's just a reference number that you can pretty much ignore. Always better to refer to the screen name if you spot an issue.

Thinking of adding a couple of training screens :) (How to pilot your Salamander 101)

exo231_balanced1b.bas.a78

Edited by Muddyfunster
formatting
  • Like 4

Not the timing we deserve...but, the timing we need.

It still took a few attempts; however, this time around with each succeeding game, progress was made...until:

1042548596_EXO-LVL1-COMP.thumb.PNG.b52a1a35f6490fcea0266d63bec39ada.PNG

Thank you, Lewis! 

It is no cakewalk, it takes practice and patience.  The design, layout, eye candy, and gameplay truly make you want to play more.  The mini goals and checkpoints are working out perfectly now.  Despite the numerous deaths it is well worth it, and with this build I experienced obvious and significant progress through each trial until completion of the level achieved.  Difficulty 'sweet spot' found, IMHO.

Slowed the patrol aliens down by around 20%, vertically and horizontally (the laser screen patrol aliens were already slower so they are not adjusted).

The biggest and arguably most needed adjustment.  It makes such a difference.  Excellent job!

Screen # 3 (Banyan Tree) : Removed a rocket that could result in a cheap death on first entering the screen.

Screen # 4 (Broom Cupboard) : Reduced drones from 5 to 4, increased the spawn delay slightly

Huge thumbs up here.  That Banyan Tree adjustments is especially crucial for those just starting.  Even being familiar with it, I saw way too many 'cheap deaths'.   The Broom Cupboard adjustment is also a huge plus; especially for those starting out and making allowance for just being within and passing the first few boards.

Screen #14 (Dulce Periculem) : Laser trap timer extended by 1 second.

Absolutely amazing how much a 1 second difference makes.  It is still a tight squeeze and needs coordinating, but not ridiculous so, anymore.  

The other adjustments are greatly appreciated as well. Everything that just needed a 'tad' adjustment truly felt received, and the level provides a well-rounded challenge now.  The game will never classify as easy, and stating the difficulty is average would be a hard sell; however, that feeling of hellacious difficulty is no longer present either.  

Still indeed, many will find it to be harder than average, or just plain hard.  It is a welcomed difficulty though.  And the game comes across as fair playing, just challenging.  It's really great stuff.

Cannot wait for more E.X.O.!

*EDIT:  Very minor nitpick...My *cough*borderline*cough* OCD is begging for the "PRESS FIRE" to be shifted one character space to the left, it is slightly right justified.

*EDIT 2:  Still testing...This happened once with the prior build and thought maybe the emulator or I just pressed something.  Evidently I was incorrect as a very similar thing just occurred.

What just happened: Dropping down from Memento Mori into Descent To Madness the screen goes black and the game locked up immediately.  

In the previous build, it was in a different spot (Sorry don't recall the screen names), the screen went black, but shots could still be heard for a bit when firing, then finally game lock-up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1