IGNORED

"Erodine Means Fertile Soil" new game project

gorgh

Hello friends,
couple days ago I started new game project, my aim is to create a game similar to Invasion of the Zombie monsters on ZX Spectrum. The game engine is more or less ready. What you see is bitmap mode, not the character mode, so there will me bigger variety of shapes, because there is no limit of characters. The fifth colour is achieved with sprites. Hope you enjoy it, and have some remarks and advices,
take care,
Kamil

i.xex

• Like 29

The running animation looks very good and fluent. Reminds me of the game „Impossible Mission“. The jumping animation is in contrast very static. I feel like a similar fluent animation would greatly improve the visual impression. Overall, the graphics style so far sets the right mood for a zombie game ?

• Like 1

Hi starfighter and _The Doctor__, thanks for your comments, the jump sequence will be changed, already have animation frames for that, the arm movement is also good advice, so far the game is not very spectacular but I can assure you that it will be more exciting while the development progresses

• Like 1

thanks popmilo, putting objects in the foreground solves problems with masking, that's a very nice trick used in Zombie ZX Spectrum game, and moving sprites each character also reduces number of frames needed and also decreases the computation time, very smart idea. Meanwhile I'm working on adding enemies, should show playable level on Sunday!

Edited by gorgh
typos
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

hi Yautja, yes the game is basically finished, I just wait for the music from Caruso. It will work on 64kb RAM but the memory is fully packed with the code and data, like maybe 1 kb left :)
We plan to release it in the ABBUC Software compo

• Like 6

well, this way of drawing graphics has many advantages- you can have big sprites since only one sprite is drawn during one frame, there's no limit of "tiles" since it's all done in bitmap graphics, and the animation frames need only one data for each frame (no shifting sprite bit-wise), so it's very efficient memory-wise

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...