IGNORED

IIc Keycap Broken

Cebus Capucinis

I am finally getting around to replacing a keycap that got broken on my IIc. As the photos show, the issue isn't that it cracked but that the stem broke off completely.

Any strategies to get this out? The problem is that the cap broke in such a way that tweezers can't get enough of a grip to pull it, and I'm leery to super glue something to it to get more leverage.

IMG_20200809_072313.jpg

IMG_20200809_072322.jpg

Hello Cebus Capucinis,

Did you poked toothpick into the broken key caps (hole) and super glue onto toothpick only ? Just 1 toothpick ? or more than 1 ? Have an photo on toothpick on the hole ? If just 1 toothpick , I think it would not be able to hold cap (9)...

Edited by Caterpiggle

1 hour ago, Caterpiggle said:

Hello Cebus Capucinis,

Did you poked toothpick into the broken key caps (hole) and super glue onto toothpick only ? Just 1 toothpick ? or more than 1 ? Have an photo on toothpick on the hole ? If just 1 toothpick , I think it would not be able to hold cap (9)...

Yep! Because the keycaps have the holes that go through the bottom, I didn't want to get any glue to fall into the key itself, hence my reticence.

I just used 1 toothpick, put just enough superglue on it for it to only cost the sides of the keycap, then waited a second or two for it to firm up so it wouldn't drip. Then pulled the old one.

Oh, I should mention that the keycap in the pictures is a "new" one with the shaft underneath still complete. So it was just getting the old one out and replacing it with an entirely new one.