IGNORED

Sega Genesis console cartridge slot pins corroded

TwentyFourSeven

I found an old Sega Genesis model 2 (I believe) that has opposing cartridge slot pins that are corroded with green.  I'm not sure what happened, but they seem to be out of shape and position.  I am unable to bend them back into position in order to make contact with cartridges.  Do I need to de-solder and replace the entire cartridge slot on the mother board or can I replace individual pins?

Thanks!

Genesis Console.jpg

Genesis Console pins.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 1:22 PM, TwentyFourSeven said:

I found an old Sega Genesis model 2 (I believe) that has opposing cartridge slot pins that are corroded with green.  I'm not sure what happened, but they seem to be out of shape and position.  I am unable to bend them back into position in order to make contact with cartridges.  Do I need to de-solder and replace the entire cartridge slot on the mother board or can I replace individual pins?

Thanks!

Genesis Console.jpg

Genesis Console pins.jpg

In my experience, you would have to de-solder and replace the entire pin connector.  I had one of the short motherboard model variants come into my hands recently with the same problem.  I fought with it for about 1 hour, trying to clean and realign the pins, and I never could get it right.  So, I replaced the cart connector, which is a PITA with my cheap de-soldering tools.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a Genesis like this not too long ago. Baffling how just the one spot becomes corroded and bent like this.

I think though that it might still be repairable. Did you try a jewelers screwdriver to really get in there and bend those pins out and back into shape? I would try that, and if successful then scrub them with a toothbrush and some isoprop really really well. While it looks bad from the pictures I can totally see fixing this with relative ease without replacing the entire connector.