IGNORED

Arcade Archives: Super Punch-Out!! uses Japanese Rom?

DavidD

Super-Punchout! (arcade) was released on the Switch today.  I purchased it, started it up, and noticed something...

The digitized speech fighter intros appear to be all in Japanese.

The game doesn't appear to have a region-switching option anywhere, unlike other releases.  

Is there any chance there -wasn't- a western audio release for this title?  Youtube videos have a different announcer doing English intros, so I assume this was a simple mistake, but I was half wondering if there was something weird going on with the Punch-Out!! to Super Punch-Out!! kits...

• Confused 1

No Super Punchout was in the arcade I remember it being next to an original one some pizza place I ate at decades ago.  The rosters were mostly quite different.  They came out like a year apart in the US and between the two other than Pizza Pasta the rest of the roster made it into the NES and/or SNES home releases.

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

No Super Punchout was in the arcade I remember it being next to an original one some pizza place I ate at decades ago.  The rosters were mostly quite different.  They came out like a year apart in the US and between the two other than Pizza Pasta the rest of the roster made it into the NES and/or SNES home releases.

Well, the Switch version has an audio intro before each boxer -- and the audio sounds like it's Japanese.  Unless Super Punch-Out!! didn't have translated intros, then Hamster released the wrong ROM -- I wonder if they assumed the ROMs were identical?

Youtube shows folks playing the games with English audio -- "Ladies and gentleman... Bear Hugger"

The Switch version is below ... so, yeah, I guess they used the wrong ROM, or weren't aware that the US ROM was different.

Edited by DavidD

I believe Hamster only uses the ROMs they receive from the licensee. So they most likely were given only the Japanese version and had to make do with it. IMO, it's the biggest drawback for their stuff.

Edited by Magmavision2000

My guess is that either Hamster only did business with Nintendo of Japan and didn't try contacting Nintendo of America for the English ROM, or Nintendo simply doesn't have a ROM of the English version in their archives (which is rather concerning).

9 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

My guess is that either Hamster only did business with Nintendo of Japan and didn't try contacting Nintendo of America for the English ROM, or Nintendo simply doesn't have a ROM of the English version in their archives (which is rather concerning).

... or that it didn't occur to anyone?  I'm tempted to go along with that logic, too.

We know there were two versions of Super Punch-Out!! -- do we know that there was a Japanese audio version of the original Punch-Out!! ?  I'd assume so, but if that wasn't the case (for some weird reason), I could see Hamster overlooking the fact that the sequel had one...

6 hours ago, DavidD said:

We know there were two versions of Super Punch-Out!! -- do we know that there was a Japanese audio version of the original Punch-Out!! ?  I'd assume so, but if that wasn't the case (for some weird reason), I could see Hamster overlooking the fact that the sequel had one...

I did some searching, and it turns out that the original Arcade Archives Punchout uses (or used) the Japanese version. This person in a GameFAQS thread claims he heard Japanese voice lines, and that the patterns are different.

I have Arcade Archives Punchout, and I've never heard any Japanese voice lines, and I can't comment on the patterns since until getting it, I never played arcade Punchout, but it's something to consider: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/221229-arcade-archives-punch-out/76468600

12 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I did some searching, and it turns out that the original Arcade Archives Punchout uses (or used) the Japanese version. This person in a GameFAQS thread claims he heard Japanese voice lines, and that the patterns are different.

I have Arcade Archives Punchout, and I've never heard any Japanese voice lines, and I can't comment on the patterns since until getting it, I never played arcade Punchout, but it's something to consider: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/221229-arcade-archives-punch-out/76468600

That doesn't make any sense -- I have the Arcade Archives Punch-Out!! as well, and it uses the US voice clips for the intros.

Based on Super Punch-Out!!, there appears two be two sets of audio clips in the games:

• In fight audio -- which seems to be English for both.
  • Fight introductions -- these are unique (I believe). Super Punch-Out uses English in the fighting sequences, but has Japanese fighter intros.  Punch-Out has English fighter intros.

Yes, it seems like Hamster didn't include the "international" ROM.

• Like 1