IGNORED

My Experience with TRS-80 Mod III Keyboard Repair

johndias

Hi all, I wanted to share this because I found it interesting and I've gotten so much help from these forums I'm excited I have info to give back to the community!

Anyway, the keyboard on my model III worked fine with the exception of the "," key. So, I searched here, watched some videos and read some blogs and I was fully prepared to address with repair to the graphite pad on the plunger. To my surprise, that is not at all what I found!

First, I noticed that the PCB looked a lot less "busy" with fewer solder points...

1322870393_I2KC018CKeyboardBack.thumb.jpg.f526d172fc6a8eb769f383f1e46ef2ba.jpg

Indeed, after removing the problem switch I understood I was dealing with something different than what I've seen in tutorials. The switch only has two conductors.

362183097_Keyswitchtwoconductors.thumb.jpg.ec48a21d820b863637fa784e276663ac.jpg

Here's the switch disassembled

:946843149_Switchassemblyplungerspringcontacts.thumb.jpg.432ecdfb0de71b0b955cd296954b4d14.jpg

The way that this works is the plunger (on the right) has a shim that pushes against a plastic tab on the contact mechanism (left). This makes the connection between the two contacts which are separated by a plastic insulator.

Some closeups of the contact mechanism... maybe hard to see, but on the side view there's a thin plastic layer between the two conductive plates.

88387660_Closeupofcontacts.thumb.jpg.3982a81f100ac48a3b38141cbe3ef84b.jpg

The metal tab is springy and is pushed down by the plunger shim.

1411082041_Contactmechanismcloseup.jpg.c72a4385bf0f93ac93aab76ff1b522cd.jpg

Here I've removed the metal spring to expose the plastic tab that forces contact between the two conductors.

2047642538_Contactpressuretab.thumb.jpg.1112a6ca512d3d5506fe1f8e995c36e0.jpg

Testing the contact mechanism by pushing down on the plastic tab with a screwdriver tip.

1855738958_Contactpressuretabtesting.thumb.jpg.c9a6f23dfa04508be7dd7df40d866d30.jpg

In the end, I found nothing at all wrong with the switch. It wasn't even dirty, although I suspect that maybe some debris got lodged in the mechanism and when I disassembled it the debris was knocked loose. Anyway, I soldered it back in place and my "," key works fine now!

514181375_Successfulrepair.thumb.jpg.6e4456691ebc902c9f2b64f21e70b821.jpg

Hope this helps someone who ends up with a keyboard similar to mine! In the end, this looks like a much better design than the graphite and rubber boot switches I've seen others have to deal with - hopefully less prone to problems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tandy used ALPS mechanical keyswitches for the III/IV and I think also the later Model I with the keypad. You can tell from the sculpted matte finish key caps, but also from the signature T stem on the key mechanism. The main downside is that ALPS stopped making them, and Cherry won the mechanical keyboard market.

The original Model I used a very hard to repair type of keyboard that was molded as one big piece of plastic, with metal finger contacts and a square frame plunger thing that the key cap slips into. Pulling out the plunger is likely to mess up the metal fingers. I have an old Lear Seigler ADM3A terminal that I'm restoring where those square frame plungers have split and the keys stick. TI-99/4 and Atari 800 also used those kind of keys. I've read where people used a hole drill to cut an entire key mechanism out of an Atari 800 keyboard to get repair parts.

• Thanks 1