IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

Software update.
Changes:
- The maximum data transfer speed in developer mode has been doubled.
- The possibility to change the baud rate for RS232 has been added in the MENU.
- Contrast adjustment for the LCD display has been added in the MENU.
- Forced startup of the console without a game loaded has been added. To do this, turn off the cartridge, press and hold the ESC button and turn on the power.
- In the development mode, loading a new game does not require turning off the power, just press the ESC button.
- Minor cosmetic fixes

To update the cartridge, upload the dragon.bin file to the root directory of the SD card, insert the SD card and turn on the cartridge's power supply. The bootloader will start automatically, after it is finished, delete the dragon.bin file from the SD card.

v1.03.zip

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Software update.
Changes:

- Acceleration of loading games from the SD card
- Added support for 272kB and 528kB files
- An option to enable / disable showing the file name before loading the game into memory has been added to the Menu. Disabling this option speeds up file loading by 1.2s

After updating the software, it is necessary to set the newly added options in the Menu.

I also updated the user manual:Manual.pdf

v1.04.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2020 at 6:25 PM, rj1307 said:

Software update.
Changes:

- Acceleration of loading games from the SD card
- Added support for 272kB and 528kB files
- An option to enable / disable showing the file name before loading the game into memory has been added to the Menu. Disabling this option speeds up file loading by 1.2s

After updating the software, it is necessary to set the newly added options in the Menu.

I also updated the user manual:Manual.pdf

v1.04.zip 14.76 kB · 4 downloads

272 and528 kb files?

Didnot know,that such files exist?

272K and 528K are effectively extensions of the 144K format with 32K always available and 16K switchable via banks compared to 256K and 512K which only have 16K always available.

This is good news for me because if I eventually need to expand Spire of the Ancients beyond 144K I would have to use one of those formats and this would be the only way I could test it on hardware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmittyB said:

272K and 528K are effectively extensions of the 144K format with 32K always available and 16K switchable via banks compared to 256K and 512K which only have 16K always available.

This is good news for me because if I eventually need to expand Spire of the Ancients beyond 144K I would have to use one of those formats and this would be the only way I could test it on hardware.

I didn't these had RAM? interesting.

I'll start a separate thread to derail this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a shot in the dark, but if there was enough interest... would you consider working on an SD cart for the Sega SG-1000??

...or even more of a shot in the dark, would you be interested in a commission for a "one off" SD cart for the Sega SG-1000. I don't know if something like this would be logistically worth the time and effort, but thought I'd ask.

1024px-Sega-SG-1000-Console-Set.jpg

4 hours ago, rj1307 said:

Interesting topic, but definitely not now, I have too much work to do with the assembly of Dragonfly. Besides, I would have to have such a test console.

Of course... I was thinking WAY down the road after everyone gets their Dragonflies. 

On 12/17/2020 at 3:51 PM, larryleffaovell said:

Got my Dragonfly today. Serial number "006", equipped with a Pokey Max and a YM2151. Did some quick tests to ensure that everything is working - it is.

Ballblazer is working like the original cartridge (the latter carries an additional Pokey chip). The YM2151 demos are very nice, never thought that this would be possible on the 7800.

Dragonfly's shell is a 3D printed one. Nothing special here, but it feels very solid, fits perfectly in 7800's slot and nothing wobbles nor shakes.

It's menu is simple and easy to understand...would be nice if could display long filenames. Maybe in a later firmware update.

So I'm very happy with this module. The only thing is that only hell knows, and this the only Con so far, why this nice Dragonfly sticker is glued at the backside of the module :)

IMG_20201217_150014.jpg

IMG_20201217_150031.jpg

IMG_20201217_150051.jpg

IMG_20201217_150215.jpg

is it possible to order it?

the project is suberbo. In order to avoid problems even for those who sell ... to put a games list WHERE WITHOUT THE ADDITIONAL CHIP YOU CANNOT HEAR THE SOUND.

the cartridge is fantastic, but it could be of little use if then maybe a favorite game, it can be without sound. Also how do homebrews work?

maybe it's easier to upload a 10 minute video to youtube with a demo of the latest release cartridge

51 minutes ago, andreaspv said:

the project is suberbo. In order to avoid problems even for those who sell ... to put a games list WHERE WITHOUT THE ADDITIONAL CHIP YOU CANNOT HEAR THE SOUND.

the cartridge is fantastic, but it could be of little use if then maybe a favorite game, it can be without sound. Also how do homebrews work?

maybe it's easier to upload a 10 minute video to youtube with a demo of the latest release cartridge

I have a Dragonfly, it works with original releases, including those that use POKEY. It works with homebrew, including those that use POKEY and Yamaha sound chips. This is all well documented in this thread if you read back a little.

There is no need for a list of games where you can't hear the sound, as there aren't any as of now. No one has reported such issues.

Hope this helps.

24 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I have a Dragonfly, it works with original releases, including those that use POKEY. It works with homebrew, including those that use POKEY and Yamaha sound chips. This is all well documented in this thread if you read back a little.

There is no need for a list of games where you can't hear the sound, as there aren't any as of now. No one has reported such issues.

Hope this helps.

so, do you recommend buying the cartridge with the POKEY?