IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Because the hardware inside is only rated to take 9v max input from what Rafal advised me. That is why it needs to be a switching psu to ensure it is only kicking out 9v as anything over is likely to cause heatbuild up in the DF cart. This was also the reason why older 7800s I put DC-DC regulators into don't work with the power passthru from the DF cart. As the PSU on the DF is only 9v, it is only passing 9v to the 7800. But the DC-DC regulators I was using back then actually didn't kick in to +5 output mode properly unless the input voltage was more like 12v. Normal 7800 PSUs and other transformer PSUs put out over 12v without a load.

It's awesome that you included an interior photo post modifications when you worked on my 7800 a few years ago. I was able to search my email, see the photo, and see what appears to be a nice analog voltage regulator bolted to a huge (factory original I am assuming) heatsink so I guess I am good to go whenever the time comes for me to receive my dragonfly.

1 hour ago, john_q_atari said:

It's awesome that you included an interior photo post modifications when you worked on my 7800 a few years ago. I was able to search my email, see the photo, and see what appears to be a nice analog voltage regulator bolted to a huge (factory original I am assuming) heatsink so I guess I am good to go whenever the time comes for me to receive my dragonfly.

I also have all of those pics on hand as well of course. Most of my clients do not opt for the option due to the increased cost so it doesn't effect that many and even if it does, you can still use the original 7800 PSU to power the 7800 and a different PSU to power the DF cart and that will work fine. So It does require using two PSUs to do everything, but then everyone had a PSU for the 7800 already, and they already have to purchase a different one for use with the DF if they haven't one on hand so it isn't that big a deal. Newer versions of the DC-DC regulator I've been installing for over a year now do NOT have issue with the DF cart and work properly.

The DF cart has a lot crammed into that case so it isn't any wonder that is requires power directly to it to begin with.

9 hours ago, Eagle said:

Parallax worked for me but the rest didn't.

29 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Do you just a clicking sound when trying to run them? That is what I got with the other versions released. But I'm not home yet to test these for myself until later.

20 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Do you just a clicking sound when trying to run them? That is what I got with the other versions released. But I'm not home yet to test these for myself until later.

Yeah. I kind of hear a note, but nothing truly audible. 

RMT2LZSS it's Atari XL/XE Pokey dump of registers $d200 to $d209 ($4000-$4009 or $450-$459 for A7800)

From Atari Memory Map

D20F SKCTL

(W) Serial port control. Holds the value 255 ($255) if no key is pressed, 251 ($FB) for most other keys pressed, 247 ($F7) for SHIFT key pressed (*M). See the (R) mode below for an explanation of the bit functions. POKE with three to stop the occasional noise from cassette after I/O to bring POKEY out of the two-tone mode. (562).

For Atari 7800 will be 3 to $400F or $45F

Also have to write zero to first 9 Pokey registers

Well on the previous ones I tried, I would just a clicking noise that was in beat with the music. But it was a single click and not multiples indicating that it was just one voice that I might be hearing something from. All the later made pokey demos like the dual pokey etc. seem to work. And some of the other ones did work but it is hit and miss.

5 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well on the previous ones I tried, I would just a clicking noise that was in beat with the music. But it was a single click and not multiples indicating that it was just one voice that I might be hearing something from. All the later made pokey demos like the dual pokey etc. seem to work. And some of the other ones did work but it is hit and miss.

What your describing is what I'm hearing.  The Parallax demo is cool though.

18 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SJRF9RT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought one (because, power supplies), includes Ferrite core.

I bought this PSU which had one but still needed to add an extra ferrite core on PSU & some other lines.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QV8CCJ5

Got these ferrite cores which worked well for me in case others in same boat as me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWCSNW9

Can tuning get off on 7800? I wonder if its something I should double check on my system.

7 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Same here. The Parallax demo works but the other pokey demos just result in the clicking I spoke about before. Except for the Cybernoid450 file. That one just crashes the 7800 when I try to run it. Not sure it is signed with the encryption as I don't believe that one generates the 7800 rainbow logo.

20 hours ago, rj1307 said:

I finally found some time today and decided to test the Ballblazer with the original Pokey chip. The game ran all the time on both PAL and NTSC consoles and did not freeze.
Don't you have "Force" mode set in the RAM Menu?

20 hours ago, juansolo said:

Tried it with and without, behaviour is the same. We're starting to think it might me something power related on Cleggy's setup. Which is odd as it's all the same as both mine and Muddyfunsters and neither of ours are crashing. I'll be going over there on Weds and taking all my kit over so we can swap each part out in turn and see which one makes the problem go away.

FWIW, I still get the odd music thing with BB, but I've never had it crash on mine.

I take it back, I disable the RAM on mine and it is behaving properly now. Marvellous. Cleggy is getting to the bottom of his stabilty issues also. All good.

EDIT: ...and with the RAM set to disable, it detects the POKEY in Galaxian also. Handy that.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rj1307 said:

If you set the RAM option to Enable and not Force, that should also be fine, RAM is then only activated from the header settings. Unless the game has an improperly defined header then there may be effects like this. Will you check it out? 

Tested that and yep, they both work fine set to enable. So all my wierdness was with the RAM set to force, which as far as I can tell is only required to get the Pac-Man Collection 40th check to see if it's running on an XM and fire up the YM. I wonder if we can ask Bob really nicely if he'll change the way the check works...?

• Like 1

I received my Dragonfly cart about a week ago, it's beautiful and to my surprise the cart screen and buttons are really easy and intuitive to use. Good UI design there. The 3D printed case feels really sturdy and nice quality, and I love the cartoon dragonfly sticker too. Haven't set up developer mode yet, but will try that later. Overall it's an absolutely fantastic cart!  :thumbsup:???

I had an issue at first that the colors were all wrong, but after about an hour of troubleshooting I noticed that I had my new psu upside down (it has a tiny screen with only the number digits on it, and adjustable voltages), so I was running at 6V instead of 9V. :grin: Apparently that changes the colours.

1612940153865.thumb.jpg.50c249ee1b8dbe78ec909c9cb3773c75.jpg

20210202_144032.thumb.jpg.72d117014396081f6f74c8b866606361.jpg

1612940157768.thumb.jpg.999a00193ca572826f2d7fe20a0116d5.jpg

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 5

On 1/20/2021 at 2:28 PM, 7800 said:

Yeah, I noticed selecting the file will show the complete name. However, when I select the file... it shows the name but also loads the game soon after. Is there a way to select the game to show the name... without the game loading? Maybe a setting to press select once to show the name, then press again to load it?

Maybe on-screen menu eventually?

18 minutes ago, Swami said:

Maybe on-screen menu eventually?

The issue you quoted could be fixed in software, in the display driver code.  Just scroll the text (time delayed) until EOS and reset.

Many devices use this technique to display strings that do not fit the width of the display.

17 hours ago, Swami said:

My cart label has been coming loose and curling up. I would think this wouldn't be an issue in the cold Minnesota winter. Anyone else seen or fixed this?

Mine was pealing off pretty bad and would not stay. Fixed it with a $3 can of spray adhesive from the craft section in Walmart. Gave it a try since since previously used it on vinyl wall decals for years. So far so good been about a week now and its not budged 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 2:18 AM, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

I received my Dragonfly cart about a week ago, it's beautiful and to my surprise the cart screen and buttons are really easy and intuitive to use. Good UI design there. The 3D printed case feels really sturdy and nice quality, and I love the cartoon dragonfly sticker too. Haven't set up developer mode yet, but will try that later. Overall it's an absolutely fantastic cart!  :thumbsup:???

I have to say I agree and I am almost surprised. I was flipping between games and directories quick like after about 2 minutes. Excellent stuff.

I'm having low sound issues with a few roms on an RCA modded (no not sure which mod) model. Anyone else? My 7800 seemed fine before and normal carts sound ok. Maybe I'll try my normal unit.

Anyway, the thing is amazing. Worth every penny.

• Like 3