IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

The power issue was that some earlier 7800s that I added the switching regulator to, didn't power on and work properly with the DF. It was because those earlier regulators required a +12v average input voltage in order to start switching and drop down to the +5 needed to power the 7800. Since the DF adapter is exactly 9v input. It wasn't enough to actually turn on the regulator inside the console properly. I contacted everyone I knew whom I had done that and offered to replace it out at my expense but only 1 or 2 clients opted for this. The rest were fine with just using the two PSUs. Obviously I now use a more expensive switching regulator that will operate on as low as +7v input to work and those are fine with the replacement PSU setup needed for the DF carts.

I actually have a DF with both power cable options. I didn't power mod mine to use a barrel jack but I have had a few come in that did have this done in the past. Course one thing I never liked about that barrel jack option is that you never quite know what polarity was used. The DF sets up this cable with  center tip positive, but most consoles I've done the barrel jack mods on are center tip negative so that a more common Genesis model one, SMS or Jaguar PSU could be used. Still, I'm glad I got it for those few consoles I've service that had it done by others that wired it the other way.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

SOFTWARE UPDATE!

This is an update of both the AVR and CPLD programs, which may be problematic for some. :( 

ATTENTION!
***Do not update AVR to version 1.08 if you have not updated CPLD!***

Changes:
- changing the method of controlling SRAM memory, which should eliminate the problem with freezing of some games

- adding POKEY support at $800 and DualPokey at $810 (write only, RANDOM will not work). Dragonfly will automatically recognize whether DualPokey is to address at $440 or $810
- adding RAM banking - 2x16kB, to switch the bank, write 0 (lower bank) or 1 (upper bank) to the address $FFFF
- minor changes to the AVR program

The attachment contains the necessary files and instructions for updating. Please see the ReadMe.txt files first.

Link to the Altera Max Plus II program: https://megawrzuta.pl/download/f016e59320ee71a0e354ef2eb961a778.html

Quartus II can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software-kit/711920/intel-quartus-ii-subscription-edition-design-software-version-13-0sp1-for-windows.html

Quartus can also be downloaded for Linux.

You do not need to download everything, as I remember correctly, all you need is the main program (Intel® Quartus® II Software (includes Nios® II EDS)) and the addition to the Max7000 series (Intel® MAX® II, Intel® MAX® V, Intel® MAX® 3000, Intel® MAX® 7000 Device Support).

Let me know if the stability improved after the update ;) 

The file blacklamp800ntsc.a78 tests a Pokey at an address of $800 (thank you @Eagle).

DragonFly.zip

blacklamp800ntsc.a78

Edited by rj1307
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Eagle said:

@darryl1970 I used Quartus and USB Blaster (Windows 10)

4526B172-F806-4149-A92F-D15BAD2542CF.jpeg

Thanks. I might check that out. I had trouble getting past the accept terms for Quartus, but it appears Max+ MAY be installing now. It just sat quietly for a LONG time before the install popped up. I'll report back.

Just purchased a ByteBlaster II just for this release. I heard that Rafal wasn't sure the USB Blaster would work. Glad he got it going! It's been a lifetime since I used a parallel port, so here goes nothing. LOL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eagle said:

*** ATTENTION ***

Probably you will need enable RAM  in DF settings after update !!!!

I think I can do this. Max isn't finding my device, so I figured I would try Quartus. When I click on the link to download "QuartusSetup-13.0.1.232.exe", I get an unstyled web page that downloads. I click that I accept the agreement, but nothing happens.

Does this have to be on an XP machine? I was about to install XP on this spare PC I am using, but want to make sure it's not me first.

Thanks!

Update: I think this disk image may have been using Internet Explorer. The download works now that I installed Firefox.

What the specs for the USB cable? As crazy as this will sound, I've never had to do this on anything in the past so I don't have any jtag programmers on hand or cables to match. Just wasn't something I've needed...

I see the schemes in the files for the LPT cable setup, but that brings two issues for me. One is that I no longer have a working computer with a 25pin LPT port on it that has a modern OS, nor do I have any 33Ω resistors on hand currently. 

So that is what I was asking about the USB programming cable?

7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

What the specs for the USB cable?

You need the "Altera USB Blaster" programmer for the USB port, the USB cable alone is not enough.

6 hours ago, Hastor said:

As someone with only Windows 7/10 machines (and a Mac that belongs to my job), is this difficult to do? Risky?

Unfortunately I don't work with Windows 7/10, my main system is Linux and Windows XP for old stuff. But as far as I know, my friend @Eagle installed Quartus under Windows 10.

Thanks for all of the help. I never got my parallel port ByteBlasterII to work on Windows 7 & up (even tried XP mode). Couldn't install XP on my core2duo, and I didn't want to wait for my ATOM XP box to process, just to possibly fail.

Purchases a USB Blaster on Amazon, and it worked well.

I did have to install Quartus first. Then I had to find my USB Blaster in the device manager. I selected to update the driver from a location on my machine, and chose the drivers directory in Quartus. After that, it finally happened.

@ZeroPage Homebrew Check Amazon. I found the same one for about $9.00. It worked well. A little more, but no wait form China. That was US though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

Thanks for all of the help. I never got my parallel port ByteBlasterII to work on Windows 7 & up (even tried XP mode). Couldn't install XP on my core2duo, and I didn't want to wait for my ATOM XP box to process, just to possibly fail.

Purchases a USB Blaster on Amazon, and it worked well.

I did have to install Quartus first. Then I had to find my USB Blaster in the device manager. I selected to update the driver from a location on my machine, and chose the drivers directory in Quartus. After that, it finally happened.

@ZeroPage Homebrew Check Amazon. I found the same one for about $9.00. It worked well. A little more, but no wait form China. That was US though.

When did you order it? I also ordered one from Amazon yesterday but won't be getting it until Saturday currently. Mine also cost more than $9 but .. oh well.

4 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

When did you order it? I also ordered one from Amazon yesterday but won't be getting it until Saturday currently. Mine also cost more than $9 but .. oh well.

I purchased this on the 21st. Arrived on the 23rd. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F5H5LPZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

3 hours ago, Hastor said:

Once I hear some success stories here I might order something for myself to update. Wanna see what works out for Win10 people, if anything!

I used Windows 10.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Should hopefully be able to let you know over the weekend...

I hope you get it quickly.

Do I have to get the Dragonfly powered or is the CPLD powered by the USB Blaster?

Without powering Quartus throws

Info (209060): Started Programmer operation at Thu Aug 25 07:56:37 2022
Error (209040): Can't access JTAG chain
Error (209012): Operation failed
Info (209061): Ended Programmer operation at Thu Aug 25 07:56:37 2022

but I'm in doubt to use a separate power source or not.