IGNORED

Anyone have a TI MAME keyboard map?

aftyde

12 hours ago, mizapf said:

This is a MAME question not necessarily related to the TI-99/4A emulations, right? In that case you should ask on the MAME forums: https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1

Well, I wasn't sure where to start. I was thinking it was a issue with the two keyboards. You pointed to mame so I started looking at my TI99 cfg and found my joy keys were double bound. sometimes talking out loud a little helps.

I'm finally finishing up this project and these last few details are frustrating. The 99/4a was our first computer back in the early 80s and my dad and I played the hell out of it (I was maybe 6 or 8 or so?). One time he stayed up all night trying to beat my Munch Man record, came out in the morning and the whonos and walls were invisible and things were flashing and my jaw dropped. He's 80 now so I'm building him a bartop, for old time's sake. We still have the 99 somewhere but the joys are broken and speech is messed up. It's emotional.

Sorry, I'm babbling. I asked here first because trolling here solved a lot of my problems. So thank you to everyone who doesn't know it.

IMG_20230108_152820428.jpg

• Like 9

@dkohDon't understand me as driving you away; the point is that I could not find out from your initial posting what MAME driver you were actually using in this cabinet, maybe even a dedicated Donkey Kong arcade driver. So are you using a TI-99/4A driver inside this arcade cabinet?

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

@dkohDon't understand me as driving you away; the point is that I could not find out from your initial posting what MAME driver you were actually using in this cabinet, maybe even a dedicated Donkey Kong arcade driver. So are you using a TI-99/4A driver inside this arcade cabinet?

No no, you didn't drive me away, you just pulled my head out of the rut I was in, which was focused on the two keyboards thing.

I'm using vanilla Mame on a Windows PC. I have a lot of games in a front end (Attract Mode) using just the regular "mame.exe ti99_4a -cart [romname]".

The TI is very difficult to turn into an arcade because of how many keys are used and used differently between games. I didn't want to lay down an entire keyboard on the bartop, so the arcade joystick and "fire" button are like the original joystick and the admin buttons are like the original keyboard (minus the X which is Mame's Quit, and II is Mame's Pause). Some buttons are doubled-up, like how one admin button is both 'Return' and 'Redo'. Joy-Left is mapped to Kbd-Left and Cursor-Left because games like ZeroZap only use the cursor (IIRC). Being like an arcade, there are some things that change behaviorally, like how it feels natural to hit "fire" when it says "press any key". "Fire" (CTRL) is not "any key". I can map one button to two or more keys but it always seems to affect some other game in some way. This is what happened with Donkey Kong and it tripped me up, thinking it was a natural/emulated keyboard thing. I've been going in circles trying to get something that works for everything without making too many sacrifices.

My current test is:

A-maze-ing (lots of 1, 2, 3, Redo, Back, etc admins)

Defender (make sure it doesn't warp on Fire (Enter?))

Donkey Kong (easy to mess up left, right, up with dupe keys)

Parsec (easy to mess up Fire with dupe keys, toggles on/off)

ZeroZap (doesn't use joystick movement normally)

I really wish I had a controls.xml or a chart or something where I could approach this methodically.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've been meaning to do a write-up on BYOAC. I'll post a link here if there's interest.

• Like 2