Jump to content
IGNORED

Zeviouz (2600)


cd-w

Recommended Posts

Zeviouz for the Atari 2600 was unveiled today on Zero Page Homebrew channel - I highly recommend watching the show if you have not seen it already!

 

Here is the binary version for everyone to playtest - it is around 80% complete, with the following features missing:

  1. Andor-Genesis Motherships.

  2. PAL60 support.

  3. High-score table.

  4. Atarivox support (not sure about including speech?).

  5. Attract mode.

  6. Two-Player Support (turn-based, not simultaneous).

 

The game is a direct port from the 7800 source code, with lots of optimizations and tweaks to make it work on the 2600.    The main differences from the 7800 version are:

  1. The scrolling background uses the playfield instead of tiles.

  2. The sprites (by Nathan Strum) are based on the arcade version.

  3. The ground enemies are animated, e.g. buildings open-up to fire.

  4. The level layouts are modified to reduce flicker.

 

Note that it is a CDFJ/ARM game and will only work on a recent version of Stella or a real Atari 2600 with a Harmony cart.  

 

Let me know if you find any bugs, or have any suggestions!

 

Chris

zeviouz00_NTSC.bin

  • Like 39
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a big forum comment person, but I felt compelled to comment on this one.  Since getting back into Atari, I had considered getting a 7800 purely for Xevious.  I have fond memories of playing the arcade game in my youth at the pool during lifeguard breaks.  I caught glimpses of Zeviouz (2600) on ZPH at work today when my boss wasn't around.  As soon as I got home, I downloaded and played it with my Sega Genesis controller.  Bravo, both to @cd-w and @Nathan Strum.  And looks like I'm still good with just my Light Sixer!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for making this game @cd-w! It was such an incredible surprise to turn it the 2600 on the stream and have the game be Zeviouz! Thank you for having us premiere it live on ZeroPage Homebrew, it's so much fun doing these types of reveals!

 

The scrolling playfield background is an astounding achievement, the detail in it is unbelievable. Everything is top notch in the game from the sound, to the graphics, to the programming to the sheer variety of enemies and the amount of gameplay. It's one of those game you have to remind yourself that you're playing it on an Atari 2600!

 

- James

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure which one I'm more blown away with, the sound/music that sounds amazing considering it matches the original sounds very well and is being produced on the 2600 or the graphics, which feels like an entirely different (more capable) console, maybe in an interlaced/scanline mode. The scrolling, flipping panels, speed at which the ship moves... really impressive stuff!

 

I could easily see this being a 2600 homebrew best seller!

Edited by Clint Thompson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Thank you for making this game @cd-w! It was such an incredible surprise to turn it the 2600 on the stream and have the game be Zeviouz! Thank you for having us premiere it live on ZeroPage Homebrew, it's so much fun doing these types of reveals!

 

 

Thanks for featuring Zeviouz on your show today!   I really enjoyed watching the big reveal, and seeing you and Arelan having fun with the game.   This is the reason that I write these games, so that others can enjoy playing them!

 

Cheers,

Chris

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

I'm not sure which one I'm more blown away with, the sound/music that sounds amazing considering it matches the original sounds very well and is being produced on the 2600 or the graphics, which feels like an entirely different (more capable) console, maybe in an interlaced/scanline mode. The scrolling, flipping panels, speed at which the ship moves... really impressive stuff!

 

The sounds come directly from the Atari 7800 version so I can't take credit for that, but I will take credit for the smooth scrolling and sprite engine!

 

Chris

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cd-w said:

The game is a direct port from the 7800 source code, with lots of optimizations and tweaks to make it work on the 2600.

congrats @cd-w!  I was checking out the show from work earlier today, and watching this was nuts.  You and @Nathan Strum have really outdone yourselves.

 

I was wondering, how many lines was the original source code and how long do you expect it to be when you've finished?  any idea of how *much* of the original code will remain when you're done?

 

fascinating project and tremendous result!

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, D Train said:

congrats @cd-w!  I was checking out the show from work earlier today, and watching this was nuts.  You and @Nathan Strum have really outdone yourselves.   I was wondering, how many lines was the original source code and how long do you expect it to be when you've finished?  any idea of how *much* of the original code will remain when you're done?   fascinating project and tremendous result!

It is difficult to compare lines because the 7800 version is 6502 assembly and the 2600 version is denser C code.    However, I translated around 7000 lines of code from the 7800 version into around 5000 lines in the 2600 version.   Approximately 50% of the logic from the 7800 version will remain in the final game.

 

Chris

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...