IGNORED

IntyBASIC Programming Contest 2020 Rules

16 minutes ago, nanochess said:

Just read all the comments.

Sorry, but it is way too late to extend the deadline (barely 5 days!!!) already several people is working behind scenes to prepare for judging the contest.

The 2018 contest was extended by one month, but if I remember right this was talked about one month before the deadline.

Hi Nanochess,

Not to be rude, but the last contest's deadline was extended only two days before the August 1st, 2018 deadline to September 1st, 2018.

At any rate, I will respect it although I'm disappointed. But, hopefully it's not too late to implement some sort of grace period with a penalty (as I've mentioned in post 72 of this thread).

Edited by PuzZLeR
Changed a word.

29 minutes ago, PuzZLeR said:

Hi Nanochess,

Not to be rude, but the last contest's deadline was extended only two days before the August 1st, 2018 deadline to September 1st, 2018.

At any rate, I will respect it although I'm disappointed. But, hopefully it's not too late to implement some sort of grace period with a penalty (as I've mentioned in post 72 of this thread).

Oh my! What can I say? My mind isn't being too exact this time! ??

Sorry, but not this time. The COVID pandemic is hitting hard the Mexico City, and if we extend the contest one month more it would impose lots of stress over me, because I don't know what can happen in one month even if I am careful. It's a time to not delay things if you understand me.

9 minutes ago, nanochess said:

Oh my! What can I say? My mind isn't being too exact this time! ??

Sorry, but not this time. The COVID pandemic is hitting hard the Mexico City, and if we extend the contest one month more it would impose lots of stress over me, because I don't know what can happen in one month even if I am careful. It's a time to not delay things if you understand me.

I would think it the other way around, that the pandemic is delaying (or extending?) things. Nevertheless, I'm sorry to hear this situation over there. It's bad over here too in Toronto. Be safe my friend.

I will try and submit something, but it doesn't look too good for me. Now my program isn't compiling any more. I will post a question in the Intellivision Programming forum very soon. Hopefully you, and some other Great Minds can come to my rescue very soon.

20 hours ago, nanochess said:

BTW, welcome, Rinka! I hope you enjoy programming for Intellivision, many people will be happy of helping you with your doubts in the Intellivision Programming forum.

thank u for the welcome, im happy to be here, and thank u for intybasic, the book, and all that u have done for programming and retro gaming ??

i wont be submitting anything this contest. im just not ready. but will still use intybasic in the future

hmmmmm... last try here... nobody has confirmed a female participant before... last try again: if u extend the contest just to 2 weeks u will get your 1st female participant

lol - how is that for a valentines day special historic moment for the contest! ??

22 hours ago, PuzZLeR said:

I would think it the other way around, that the pandemic is delaying (or extending?) things. Nevertheless, I'm sorry to hear this situation over there. It's bad over here too in Toronto. Be safe my friend.

I will try and submit something, but it doesn't look too good for me. Now my program isn't compiling any more. I will post a question in the Intellivision Programming forum very soon. Hopefully you, and some other Great Minds can come to my rescue very soon.

2 hours ago, Rinka said:

thank u for the welcome, im happy to be here, and thank u for intybasic, the book, and all that u have done for programming and retro gaming ??

i wont be submitting anything this contest. im just not ready. but will still use intybasic in the future

hmmmmm... last try here... nobody has confirmed a female participant before... last try again: if u extend the contest just to 2 weeks u will get your 1st female participant

lol - how is that for a valentines day special historic moment for the contest! ??

Just knew a judge broke his wrist and had surgery, so I don't want to risk his recovery.

I'm delaying the contest deadline by one month.

P.S: Of course this doesn't mean that future contests will also have this incredible extensible deadline. ?

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, nanochess said:

Just knew a judge broke his wrist and had surgery, so I don't want to risk his recovery.

P.S: Of course this doesn't mean that future contests will also have this incredible extensible deadline. ?

Unless another judge gets his wrist broken.  You know ... things happen. :grin:

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2021 at 5:12 PM, nanochess said:

Thank you Nanochess. I also do honestly hope I haven't upset anyone, as I was merely, like Rinka, just making a request. I was going to be accepting of any decision.

Also, I honestly would've preferred the original deadline instead of someone having been hurt, sincerely.

On 1/29/2021 at 5:12 PM, nanochess said:

Ha ha. Sure. But, keep in mind, I was only really asking for six months more than I was asking for an extension, which I hope all future contests give us - at least six months of development time. ?

Again, thank you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 8:19 PM, Rinka said:

nobody has confirmed a female participant before...

Speaking of female participants, I just came across the 2010 book "Barbie: I Can Be A Computer Engineer" in which Barbie is making a computer game with robot puppies. However she soon admits she can only come up with design ideas and can't write a single line of code (despite being a computer engineer!) so she needs help of her male friends Steven and Brian to do any actual programming, but in the end she would take all the credits! Four years later it blew up in social media, and Mattel had no choice but to withdraw the book with an apology. Perhaps Mattel needs to release a new book "Barbie: I Can Program Intellivision Games"...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Speaking of female participants, I just came across the 2010 book "Barbie: I Can Be A Computer Engineer" in which Barbie is making a computer game with robot puppies. However she soon admits she can only come up with design ideas and can't write a single line of code (despite being a computer engineer!) so she needs help of her male friends Steven and Brian to do any actual programming, but in the end she would take all the credits! Four years later it blew up in social media, and Mattel had no choice but to withdraw the book with an apology. Perhaps Mattel needs to release a new book "Barbie: I Can Program Intellivision Games"...

Maybe a retroactive book, "Barbie: I Programmed Intellivision Games Under a Male Pseudonym".  Also, in 2016, Mattel released a "Game Developer Barbie" Doll.

• Like 1

I read elsewhere:

The Intellivision had a relatively large number of female development staff (usually on graphics but some on design). There isn't enough information on every developer to say for sure but the percentage seems higher to me than any other first-party from the '80s. Connie Goldman, Julie Hoshizaki, Monique Lujan-Bakerink, Ji Wen Tsao, Peggi Decarli, Minchau Tran, Karen Nugent, Donna Fisher were all involved in making Intellivision games for Mattel.

so perhaps Barbie wouldn't have had to use a pseudonym. :)

(Sorry for derailing the topic)

35 minutes ago, carlsson said:

so perhaps Barbie wouldn't have had to use a pseudonym. :)

(Sorry for derailing the topic)

It still seems like the kind of story that would sell these days: how a woman managed to "break the glass ceiling" in a "male-dominated field", even if the story is completely fictional.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to all contestants! As I feared, another month has slipped by without any continuous retro programming sessions, just a bit of dabbling here and there so I'm not submitting anything this time around. However the total number of entries seem to meet the minimum requirements so the contest can be concluded.

Currently doing the final touches on Pandora before the final submission.

This latest version should be the one reviewed by the judges instead of the one submitted by the original deadline.

No changes made to Infiltrator or Eggerland since the deadline changed, so the files already submitted are still good.

Question to contest organizers: are you planning on sending a confirmation email for each entry received? I'm thinking that would be good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Currently doing the final touches on Pandora before the final submission.

This latest version should be the one reviewed by the judges instead of the one submitted by the original deadline.

No changes made to Infiltrator or Eggerland since the deadline changed, so the files already submitted are still good.

Question to contest organizers: are you planning on sending a confirmation email for each entry received? I'm thinking that would be good.

I'll ask about this because other person is the one receiving all the entries.

7 hours ago, cmadruga said:

I wonder if we will see at least one more entry before the deadline. Would be nice.

Yes, that would be nice.  You have just a few days to whip up your next masterpiece!  GO! :)

I would invite @nanochess as well -- our other highly prolific Intelliprogrammer -- but he's disqualified on account of, you know, being the head judge.

-dZ.

• Haha 1