IGNORED

Using a Gotek on my Coleco Adam

rietveld

So you connected the Gotek drive to the ADAM FDD’s controller board via the ribbon cable?

What model Gotek drive is that as there are numerous models?

Looked like you formatted a 160K disk, correct? Well, actually, it would have to be if you are using a standard ADAM FDD although the firmware for larger disk formats is available and all that is needed is to burn to a chip and swap out the existing firmware chip to work with 320K, 360K or 720K disk images.

Did you try using the verify format option of File Manager?

Was the directory INITialized correctly?

Have you had time to copy files to the disk image file and verify them?

Have you tested a bootable program like SmartBasic or CP/M?

5 hours ago, NIAD said:

So you connected the Gotek drive to the ADAM FDD’s controller board via the ribbon cable?

What model Gotek drive is that as there are numerous models?

Looked like you formatted a 160K disk, correct? Well, actually, it would have to be if you are using a standard ADAM FDD although the firmware for larger disk formats is available and all that is needed is to burn to a chip and swap out the existing firmware chip to work with 320K, 360K or 720K disk images.

Did you try using the verify format option of File Manager?

Was the directory INITialized correctly?

Have you had time to copy files to the disk image file and verify them?

Have you tested a bootable program like SmartBasic or CP/M?

Fully working Gotek as Drive 2 on the Coleco Adam.

Booting into CP/M from the Gotek

Loading Cartsoft disks using the Gotek

Great stuff and the Gotek Drive will be a perfect fix if the disk drive mechanics breakdown, but the controller board is still good.

Can you power the Gotek drive from the ADAM FDD internal power connector or does the Gotek have it’s own power supply?

Also, is the Gotek drive a standard drive size and therefor can be mounted inside the Adam FDD case In place of the MPI disk drive mechanics?

9 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Great stuff and the Gotek Drive will be a perfect fix if the disk drive mechanics breakdown, but the controller board is still good.

Can you power the Gotek drive from the ADAM FDD internal power connector or does the Gotek have it’s own power supply?

Also, is the Gotek drive a standard drive size and therefor can be mounted inside the Adam FDD case In place of the MPI disk drive mechanics?

My Gotek is using a molex to floppy adapter on the end of the Coleco's drive power, it just takes the standard 5 1/4 connector to a small floppy connector, got it for $2.     The Gotek is the same size as a 3 1/2 floppy . I am using a $7 bracket that lets it fit into a 5 1/4 drive slot.  Pretty much any Gotek will work as they all just emulate a floppy drive.  I paid $22 for mine and  I flashed it  with a free version of "flash floppy" and it works with all Coleco .dsk images without any conversion. Just copy and paste the .dsk to the usb thumb drive .  The Gotek has jumpers that let you set it as Drive 1 or 2.  I am actually thinking of keeping it in place of the pkysical 5 1/4 for now since i can have my entire .dsk library on it at one time.

Edited by rietveld

Thanks.

Just looked over the Gotek website and actually answered some of my questions but appreciate your answers as well.

Seeing as we know your model works properly, I prefer to stick with the same model even though as you said, any of the Gotek drives should/would work. Can you share the model number, please?

i replaced the numeric display with this OLCD

https://www.amazon.ca/DSD-Tech-OLED-Display-Arduino/dp/B07D9H83R4

you can keep the stock display but it only shows disk numbers so you need to keep track of what is on each disk

i just replaced the display with an OLCD so that it will display the full disk name   

OLCD just plugs in place of the stock display

but again the stock display is perfectly useable as long as you know what is on the disk

Edited by rietveld

After watching some mod videos on the Gotek drives, a couple quick questions that I haven't stumbled upon answers to yet in the hopes that you know...

- Does the original firmware work with ADAM disk images as is or does it have to be upgraded to FlashFloppy?

- Does the original firmware support the display of disk image names on a new OLCD display such as the one you installed along with the disk image number and track or does it have to be upgraded to FlashFloppy?

4 hours ago, NIAD said:

After watching some mod videos on the Gotek drives, a couple quick questions that I haven't stumbled upon answers to yet in the hopes that you know...

- Does the original firmware work with ADAM disk images as is or does it have to be upgraded to FlashFloppy?

- Does the original firmware support the display of disk image names on a new OLCD display such as the one you installed along with the disk image number and track or does it have to be upgraded to FlashFloppy?

you need flash floppy to be a ble to use Adam .dsk files and to push the disk / track info to the OLED.   Flash Floppy is free and is super easy to flash .   just plug the gotek into a pc and us windows or linux to write the the firmware  .  Here is the main Github site for doing this.   Once the flash floppy is written to the Gotek all you need to do is copy/paste .dsk files onto a thumb drive, insert into gotek, and load like a real disk

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Firmware-Programming

• Like 1

Again thanks for the info.

i actually recall reading about the Gotek drive years ago, but never followed up once MicroFox released their Virtual Disk Drive.

While watching some mod videos, it seems that some drives do not come with the Header used for updating the firmware and some include a red power LED that is hidden away in the case and one only knows if it is installed if they open the case.

2 hours ago, NIAD said:

Again thanks for the info.

i actually recall reading about the Gotek drive years ago, but never followed up once MicroFox released their Virtual Disk Drive.

While watching some mod videos, it seems that some drives do not come with the Header used for updating the firmware and some include a red power LED that is hidden away in the case and one only knows if it is installed if they open the case.

Just now, rietveld said:

The gotek i linked you to comes with the header.  I dont even bother with a  special cable .  I just use a standard usb cable and jumper the pins   .  i have the same model gotek on my trs80 model 1, Dragon 32, ibm 5150, kaypro , osborne, PET, and heath kit.   For 25 bucks they are well worth getting one for each system. 

i dont mind walking anyone thru the process since i have done it at least 6 times so far

• 3 weeks later...

GOTEK UPDATE 

i built a 34pin ribbon cable with 2 drive connectors so i can have both the gotek and 5 1/4 drives hooked up to the single adam disk controller.   I put a small toggle switch in line on the drive select line of the cable and ca n now use ither the gotek or physical drive with just a flip of the switch

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Sixthview said:

I gave up trying when I found out about flashing it and all that Jazz as it was just too daunting of a task.

I have found some sellers offering a Gotek with Flash Floppy pre-loaded.  What version are you using, or would any version of Flash Floppy do the trick?

any version of flash floppy works

3 hours ago, Sixthview said:

I gave up trying when I found out about flashing it and all that Jazz as it was just too daunting of a task.

I have found some sellers offering a Gotek with Flash Floppy pre-loaded.  What version are you using, or would any version of Flash Floppy do the trick?

Please watch this video. It is a simple point and click process using a windows computer, USB a to usb a cable and a few jumper wires.  If I can do it anyone can do it.

You just choose FLASHFLOPPY as the software you want to flash not the amiga one in that video

Edited by rietveld