IGNORED

Best 5200 A/V Mod

Albert

I need to modify two Atari 5200 systems with A/V mods. The mods need to have stereo A/V, composite, and S-Video output.  I will also be adding two RCA jacks to split chroma and luminance for use with 1702 monitors.  Can anyone recommend the best mod for this purpose?  The quality of video output is also important to me, as well as relative ease of installation.

Also, I need to do power modifications to two four-port systems to eliminate that damned evil switchbox.  I've not done this before, so any hints in the right direction for instructions would be helpful.

Thanks,

..Al

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

I don't recall there being a stereo mod for the 5200. I would recommend the UAV for the video mod.

I have two 5200s with A/V mods with the features I described above, but don't recall what mod it is.  I installed one of them myself eons ago.  Neither 5200 is currently working properly, one is just the mod, the other is a problem with the system.  They are both in storage at the moment.  I will dig them out at some point, since I want to replace the one system where the mod is bad.  The other one I'll probably need to pull the board out and send it to someone who can properly diagnose the issue and fix it.

Didn't you write a chapter on 5200 mods in a book, one of the them being the power mod?

No, that was for the 7800. I've never done a 5200 power mod before, although that's one that probably should have been in the book! 

Edit: Apparently I'm an idiot!

..Al

1 hour ago, Albert said:

No, that was for the 7800. I've never done a 5200 power mod before, although that's one that probably should have been in the book!

..Al

I have the book here, it is definitely a 5200 power mod. Unless Joe wrote that chapter. It looks like it was mostly cribbed from my old forum post. :ponder:

:P

Mitch

• Like 1

Just now, Mitch said:

I have the book here, it is definitely a 5200 power mod. Unless Joe wrote that chapter. It looks like it was mostly cribbed from my old forum post. :ponder:

I believe you, it's been some time since we wrote that book and it's mostly a fuzzy memory for me at this point (the book was published in 2004).  I'll take a look at it in the morning! 

Here's a link to your post where you described it in detail:

Here's a later thread from CPUWIZ with some photos:

Thank you,

..Al

Console5 sells a kit for the power mod and now includes a new wire harness (At my request) that allows you to easily disconnect should the main board need to be removed for future servicing. As for the video stuff. Well there is the Sophia that provides analog RGB via VGA or DVI I believe. Aside from that if you want s-video the UAV is the way to go for now.

Might as well box them up with that Lynx II so I can get those done for you as well?

13 hours ago, Albert said:

I need to modify two Atari 5200 systems with A/V mods. The mods need to have stereo A/V, composite, and S-Video output.  I will also be adding two RCA jacks to split chroma and luminance for use with 1702 monitors.  Can anyone recommend the best mod for this purpose?  The quality of video output is also important to me, as well as relative ease of installation.

Also, I need to do power modifications to two four-port systems to eliminate that damned evil switchbox.  I've not done this before, so any hints in the right direction for instructions would be helpful.

Thanks,

..Al

Yes get the UAV Boards from the Brewing Academy for S-VIDEO.  I have done the mods to the Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and XEGS.  The power mod for the 5200 from Console5 was what I used as well.  It is a very easy mod and well worth it.  As for the Audio, you will only have mono but I always just add the stereo Jack's and tie left and right together inside the console.  You then have mono stereo.  When doing that mod do not leave out the 50uF cap or your sound will be way too high compared to your other systems.  The hardest system to modify of the onles listed above was the 2600.  So many different versions.  I did my Heavy Sixer.  Sorry purists!  I never plan to sell so the new holes in the back don't bother me.  The video out of all of them is fantastic.  I only play on CRTs.  

R,

Paul

1 hour ago, paulderr said:

Yes get the UAV Boards from the Brewing Academy for S-VIDEO.  I have done the mods to the Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and XEGS.  The power mod for the 5200 from Console5 was what I used as well.  It is a very easy mod and well worth it.  As for the Audio, you will only have mono but I always just add the stereo Jack's and tie left and right together inside the console.  You then have mono stereo.  When doing that mod do not leave out the 50uF cap or your sound will be way too high compared to your other systems.  The hardest system to modify of the onles listed above was the 2600.  So many different versions.  I did my Heavy Sixer.  Sorry purists!  I never plan to sell so the new holes in the back don't bother me.  The video out of all of them is fantastic.  I only play on CRTs.  

R,

Paul

All I do on the audio is add a 2k resistor off R50 where I tap the audio from, and then from that I use a 10µf 16v cap from there to my RCA jacks. That resistor is what really is needed to bring the signal down as you are correct, it is too hot otherwise.

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, The MidniteWrtr said:

When doing the power mod from Consol 5 for the 5200, I see that a new power jack for a power supply is connected to the main board. What voltage is needed  i.e.. 5v DC, .5 amp. Any thought of which power supply to get?

Thanks.

Bob

The DC jack they provide is the same as what was used originally. Therefore, you use OEM power supply to power the console from.

I've seen mention of this before and I guess it isn't clear that you don't have to get a new PSU. The original will just plug into the newly provided DC jack without issue. Just have to make sure you wire the polarity correctly.