IGNORED

Should I make the Circus Vectrex more like the Atari version?

gorf68

So, I made a game for the Vectrex some time ago called 'Circus Vectrex' that was supposed to be just a tongue-in-cheek take on the classic 'Circus Atari' game. At one point I was thinking about polishing this game off, as it was, and releasing it as a cartridge.

I never did get around to it as the cost was a bit high for me at the time, and the game had a bit too much drift on some of the testers Vectrex. Although it seemed fine on mine?

Since then I've had a few people tell me I should make the start jump and in-game jump mechanic more like the Atari game and release it. 

So I've come to ask for, and would appreciate, some honest answers from people who are likely to know both systems.

Do you think this game is good enough / worth attempting to convert so it plays the same as the 'Circus Atari' game?

I've added a short video (sorry no sound, my bad) and an online playable link below so you can get an idea of the game.

https://drsnuggles.github.io/jsvecx/?rom=Circus

Or have a look on my (old) blog: http://garrysgamingblog.blogspot.com/p/programming-projects.html

Thing is I now have 10 spare eproms to do this with, as I've decided to use a writable chip with the full version of my 'Trapped' proof of concept game. (If it ever gets done)

So do you honestly think it's a worthwhile project or not (I've more projects than time just now ;) ) and your opinion would be welcome.

Edited by gorf68
  • Like 4

I think it looks great! I like the ball bounce just fine.  It gets straight to the point of the game.  I've played a lot of Circus Atari on the 2600 and to me it looks like you have captured the gameplay really well.  I definitely think its a worth while project.   I wouldn't worry to much about making it exactly like the Atari version.  I think if its fun to play that it won't matter.

Edited by adamchevy

I like it .. you must make an analog option to use the Vectrex paddle which has a push button wired to Vectrex button 4.

See https://www.playvectrex.com and look under Vectech for an article about the Vectrex Paddle (written by someone who’s name sounds vaguely familiar)

way back in the day I played the Exidy Circus Arcade game which has two pair of horizontal platforms off which the clown will jump .. and there is no see-saw flip.  Of course the Atari version does allow flip.

if you wanted to incorporate all these elements into the game, you could offer an option to select between the arcade version and the home version.

17 hours ago, gorf68 said:

So, I made a game for the Vectrex some time ago called 'Circus Vectrex' that was supposed to be just a tongue-in-cheek take on the classic 'Circus Atari' game. At one point I was thinking about polishing this game off, as it was, and releasing it as a cartridge.

I never did get around to it as the cost was a bit high for me at the time, and the game had a bit too much drift on some of the testers Vectrex. Although it seemed fine on mine?

Since then I've had a few people tell me I should make the start jump and in-game jump mechanic more like the Atari game and release it. 

So I've come to ask for, and would appreciate, some honest answers from people who are likely to know both systems.

Do you think this game is good enough / worth attempting to convert so it plays the same as the 'Circus Atari' game?

I've added a short video (sorry no sound, my bad) and an online playable link below so you can get an idea of the game.

https://drsnuggles.github.io/jsvecx/?rom=Circus

Or have a look on my (old) blog: http://garrysgamingblog.blogspot.com/p/programming-projects.html

Thing is I now have 10 spare eproms to do this with, as I've decided to use a writable chip with the full version of my 'Trapped' proof of concept game. (If it ever gets done)

So do you honestly think it's a worthwhile project or not (I've more projects than time just now ;) ) and your opinion would be welcome.

I think it looks awesome. Playing the circus atari would be great. Sign me up I need this game 

12 hours ago, gorf68 said:

Thanks, do you think it would be better with the 'jump' bounce of the original Atari version, or stick with the current 'ball bounce' version?

I put the link to this page on  the "Vectrex Fans Unite" Facebook group, so that you´ll get more opinions. Should you ever release this, I please would be interested. 

3 hours ago, vectrexroli said:

I put the link to this page on  the "Vectrex Fans Unite" Facebook group, so that you´ll get more opinions. Should you ever release this, I please would be interested. 

The (I think) latest download of the bin should be here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3fXRo4EaQ5iSC1mQTc5OVhzRTA/view?usp=sharing

A slightly older version is also on the Multi Cart 3.0 by Sean Kelly, if anyone has that.

If I were to release this on cart I may revisit the bounce mechanic, depending on peoples views.

would also have to look at stabilising the drift.

On some Vectrex this has been reported as ether not noticeable, or 'hardly noticed.'

On others it's been reported as 'very noticeable and distracting' to 'making it difficult to play.'

It would be interesting to see what results people on the Facebook group get.

This was never really fine tuned, but I would do that if a cartridge release is a possibility!

Thanks for looking.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rob Mitchell said:

I like it .. you must make an analog option to use the Vectrex paddle ... and there is no see-saw flip.  Of course the Atari version does allow flip.

Thanks, I was thinking about paddle support, but as yet, don't have Vectrex paddles. Will Atari paddles work? :)

A few people didn't notice you can flip the see-saw - any button on the controller flips.

10 hours ago, Rob Mitchell said:

1 hour ago, Rob Mitchell said:

The Atari paddle requires modifications which include two resistors and a new cable.  That results in one Vectrex Paddle.  So if you offer alternating 2 player option, I suggest sharing one Vectrex paddle.

https://www.playvectrex.com/

Hmm, I currently have two sets of Atari paddles, one of which is broke. Broken/pulled cable I think.

So this could be on the cards. Thanks.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:08 AM, gorf68 said:

Fun! Certainly worth bringing up to date (looks like your last compile was 2105) and updating based on feedback from play testers!

On 8/27/2020 at 3:42 PM, Rob Mitchell said:

I like it .. you must make an analog option to use the Vectrex paddle which has a push button wired to Vectrex button 4.

See https://www.playvectrex.com and look under Vectech for an article about the Vectrex Paddle (written by someone who’s name sounds vaguely familiar)

way back in the day I played the Exidy Circus Arcade game which has two pair of horizontal platforms off which the clown will jump .. and there is no see-saw flip.  Of course the Atari version does allow flip.

if you wanted to incorporate all these elements into the game, you could offer an option to select between the arcade version and the home version.

I agree about more than one version.  I would also change the lines to balloons or something else (maybe known Vectrex objects from other games?).  I suppose Spike and Molly (one of the few times I'd be supporting using them in another Vectrex game) could be the ones bouncing up and down, arms waving (that was in the arcade version, yes?), or just the stick-figure guys from the arcade.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 12:59 PM, ledzep said:

... I would also change the lines to balloons or something else ...

Initially they were balloons, but I couldn't get the full screen drawn whilst keeping the cycles down for the screen refresh.

So it was reduced to lines for testing, and it just stuck.

I burnt a test of this to a cartridge and some people are now interested in a possible release, so I may now look at tightening the drift and bringing back the balloons. I think the original graphic may be still in the code. I believe it was originally a six line 'circle' with a seventh line as a string