IGNORED

TheC64 Full Size - Pre-orders Open for USA

StephenJ

It's here, and it's beautiful! I transfered everything from my Backbit cartridge over to a thumb drive and everything I have tried just works.  This is AWESOME!  Swapping disks is super easy, and so far everything just works.  I hope you guys get your 64 soon. It was worth the wait. 20201211_145817.thumb.jpg.f3d4342f9dfb1b7b896ac69387be22ce.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, themewsh said:

Question for those that already have units in hand: If you felt so compelled, using the Maxi could you load up an old word processor and save a file to the USB?

You would need to save the document to a d64 file on the usb, but yes it would probably work. You would then need to extract the file from the d64.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 1:55 PM, digdugnate said:

I had originally pre-ordered in August, but for a multitude of reasons cancelled my preorder when (more) delays were announced around November. 

I did the same. Shipping to Canada from Amazon USA was steep and the exchange rate is pretty punitive anyways, so I figured I was better off using my retro electronics budget elsewhere (it wasn't available on Amazon Canada). I'm hoping there is a Canadian distributor in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrhodes said:

You would need to save the document to a d64 file on the usb, but yes it would probably work. You would then need to extract the file from the d64.

Sweet! That works, I thought it might be “fun” to use it as an air-gapped writing tool. The thought being that if you’re sitting down to write something on a system with no internet connection to distract, and a extra couple steps to extract the work, my hope is that it will make for a good focusing mechanism - really make the time spent typing count.

I dunno, if that proves to not be the case, at least there’s always games!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 2:41 PM, themewsh said:

Question for those that already have units in hand: If you felt so compelled, using the Maxi could you load up an old word processor and save a file to the USB?

Yes.  I have had no problems saving or loading files to a usb stick. Swapping disks is very easy. 

• Thanks 1

Has anyone experienced any issues with disk images either not being written to, or being wrecked?  

I have a “The VIC 20” on the current firmware and a few times I’ve noticed things like high score files on disk images not being saved even though the program thinks it saved them.  I also managed to wreck a .71 disk image somehow that whenever is mounted, any access returns a 74,DRIVE NOT READY error, and it won’t format.  I’ve tried 2 different USB sticks.

• 2 weeks later...

My VIC came...it's neat! Enjoying it so far as a desktop distraction and also using it as a non-internet connected digital scratchpad that I can pull data from when needed seems to be working out. No issues to report, thanks to everyone that answered questions here. I hope these become easier to get soon so everyone has access.

The arrow means you have caps lock on.

In your .cjm file you could have a line as follows:

J:1*:JU,JD,JL,JR,JF,JF,,,,,,,,,

or

J:2*:JU,JD,JL,JR,JF,JF,,,,,,,,,

This would make all buttons on the joystick null except for directions and fire, i.e. it would be more like a original c64 joystick.

I suggest you download the manual and read it.

https://retrogames.biz/thec64/support/manuals-thec64

Also download and install latest update if you have not already.

https://retrogames.biz/thec64/support/upgrade-thec64

Edited by jrhodes
  • Thanks 1