IGNORED

HSC17 Round 17: The Tombs of Doomb!

4 hours ago, graywest said:

Desert Falcon: 55061 (standard)

No screenshot - after the game over message, the score disappears. ?

What do you think, play on Advanced? It seems a bit disappointing especially the jerky scroll (I'm on PAL) ?

12 hours ago, carlsson said:

Two games that don't display last or highest score, so no screenshots:

Crypts of Egypt - 6000+ pts (not sure what my final score was, but you can pump a lot of points by shooting the dragons/ghosts)

CoE maybe we can track any progress: screen's completed?

17 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

:thumbsup:e

King Tut's Tomb is much more of a game on the new settings: Difficulty 1 and No Backfire (NTSC may play on Difficulty 2 if it's too fast)

Got to level 7 or so, the dirty tactc of using terrible colour schemes got me in the end!!

Looks like the mazes repeat, wonder if the missions are starting on every 5th screen. It seems to get harder then easier again :ponder: 

KTT The missions start on various stages e.g. #9 #41 etc so we won't use them, just start on the default "Sands of Time". Checking out some of the other game options now, think I might plug in a 2nd stick :idea:

6 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

What do you think, play on Advanced? It seems a bit disappointing especially the jerky scroll (I'm on PAL) ?

Advanced for Desert Falcon sounds good to me. Yes, I'm used to the 7800 version where the scrolling, colors, enemy graphics, etc. are much better. This isn't a bad version, though - I'm having some fun with it.

Edited by graywest

King Tut 27,206 stage 7 would be great for 2 player, the game options let you have one person firing/laying mines/uncovering the tunnels etc also has night mode!

Pyramid Run 4,430 got to the 3rd level but failed on the end of level screens, I just figured the moving bars DO NOT kill you I was avoiding them, it's the spikes at the edge that are deadly, the moving bars push you onto them should be able to do this next go then!. On the 3rd level it seemed too hard as an endless stream of Archon escapees came at me

Pharaoh's Curse 3665

Advanced Desert Duck 18,542

Revenge of the Mutant Camels 31,950 / 8% completed! Ok the KM is how long you need to survive each level. to access the shop press fire once on the current level square on the map then you can move up/down to choose items.

Various Screenshots:

1705671395_PyramidRin.thumb.jpg.f7517eb434c21dd2af46ea8aec663d5a.jpg1753748056_PCurse3665.jpg.d3028c813084348652844744c967f379.jpg195099896_KTTSt7.jpg.e2b571d6f51e6f67e70ad0d7aa0f4819.jpg1018355746_KTTMiner.jpg.16cf395e7b8e605857329fb0a7aa0211.jpg1206621941_KTTDigger.jpg.9777deb737eb6dbf2ee8f1b872ba1698.jpg1142504653_KTTDark.jpg.575d1e1b503487727e0d5e406f774766.jpg1059430442_KTT27206.jpg.c95174c5b18186b9a50511aa8fd01dc0.jpgRoTMCs.thumb.jpg.f3b1af776f168ae4c7edfb7ddd5dbcb3.jpgRoTMC.thumb.jpg.9997f6219be927ecee1194177ac483c9.jpg1143572374_RoTMCStatus.thumb.jpg.59c40decba2869722b3f6f6bd4e9199f.jpg1017558887_PyramidRunEOL.thumb.jpg.048e51cf93e576a0782c14d0f69550fd.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, graywest said:

Pharaoh's Pyramid: 16,701

Also quite a good game. I played on Slave and Intermediate (the default settings). Has there been any consensus on what settings to use for this one?

Just been playing Pharaoh's Pyramid -  default options are fine, it levels up builder is pyramid II etc and the other setting is speed as far as i can see. It's a good game, tricky rto get the levels cleared without losing a life or getting the magic gizzmo. After building the pyramid on level 6 level 7 said "watch out" and I wasn't sure if there was something else to do - will start to read the instructions soon!!

PPyramid.thumb.jpg.71049b235499cddf0530f09164658d65.jpg744702172_PPyramid16853.thumb.jpg.aa2e7e10e378f3810c1f3bdfd103bde5.jpg

16,853 I've just built my first pyramid :-D

• Like 2

Pharos Quest (Turbo Basic) not a bad version of Pharaho's Curse really.

Doesn't show score at end of go but you can use ctrl-1 to pause it/un pause it or press Break and type PRINT P to show your score, you can then try GR.17:CONT to resume perhaps (not tried that last bit!).

Also played Pyramid also from KEsoft, didn't get very far as the cards didn't match up but might have another go or two.

Next up for me is The Sands of Egypt - use a translator disk (OS/B required) if you have an XE machine, the holmes archive has a bunch of them. [edit[ Uggh! Straight into an unmappable? maze of desert, I found a rope but that's it... atarimania has some comments indicating it might be worth a play and it has a reasonable rating, plus slx liked it so might be asking him for some hints soon!! [edit] oooh I just found the swimming poll (see comments on atarimania!!) [edit] now I'm stuck in the darn pool !!!

Edited by therealbountybob

The Tombs of Doom!

first tables

scoring may change - the points shown are ranking points not HSC points...

[edit] Also dropped Crypts of Egypt, see Caco's comments above, it's just too hard but if anyone does figure out the first screen then post for a bonus point or two :)

Main Games

Pharaoh's Curse

*completing the default level "0" will get 7pts plus 1pt for each of the other 3 skill levels completed
  1st   graywest                 17,790    10*
  2nd   trbb                         3,665     6
  3rd   carlsson                    2,575     5
  4th   jblenkle                     2,050     4
  5th   roadrunner                   740     4
  6th   Caco                           435     3

King Tut's Tomb

play with No Backfire and on Skill 1 Professional - use Option / Select to set this.
  1st   trbb                           27,206     7
  2nd   deteacher                  19,370     6
  3rd   graywest                     8,755     5
  4th   Caco                           5,548     4
  5th   roadrunner                   4,914     4
  6th   carlsson                       4,444     3

Lost Tomb
use the whips to break the walls, get the chests and get out!

1st   deteacher                 41,840     7
  2nd   jblenkle                      2,720     6
  3rd   carlsson                     2,000     5
  4th   roadrunner                  1,360     4
  5th   Caco                            200     4

Pharaoh's Pyramid

default skill, get the bricks at the base and take them to the top!

1st   trbb                           16,853     7
  2nd   graywest                   16,701     6
  3rd   roadrunner                   2,826     5
  4th   carlsson                      2,221     4
  5th   Caco                             655     4

Crpyts of Egypt

Desert Falcon

play on Advanced
  1st   graywest                    44,151     7
  2nd   trbb                          18,542     6
  3rd   Caco                           7,400     5
  4th   roadrunner                   5,707     4

Pharos Quest

Turbo-BASIC Pharaoh's Curse!
  1st   trbb                           2,050     7
  2nd   carlsson                     1,400     6

Pyramid Run

take the default options

1st   trbb                            4,430     7
  2nd   roadrunner                     650     6

Revenge of the Mutant Camels

Report % complete as well as score

1st   trbb 8%                     31,950     7

Puzzle Bonus

Lorien's Tomb

1pt for playing, 1pt for reaching level 10, some extra points for additional screens beaten! Let me know.

graywest 2pts?

trbb 2pts

jblenkle 1pt?

Caco 1pt?

Pyramid (KESoft)

1pt for playing 1pt for beating a screen?

trbb 1pt

Adventure Bonus

just for fun but you may get some additional points, who knows... not me :ponder:

The Tomb of Death

---

The Sands of Egypt

trbb - stuck in the pool! this one is too hard and not enjoyable as you start in an unmappable maze so try another one with a suitable theme: e.g. Curse of the Pharaoh.

Beneath the Pyramids

---

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 9:51 PM, therealbountybob said:

Pharos Quest (Turbo Basic) not a bad version of Pharaho's Curse really.

Doesn't show score at end of go but you can use ctrl-1 to pause it/un pause it or press Break and type PRINT P to show your score, you can then try GR.17:CONT to resume perhaps (not tried that last bit!).

Also played Pyramid also from KEsoft, didn't get very far as the cards didn't match up but might have another go or two.

Next up for me is The Sands of Egypt - use a translator disk (OS/B required) if you have an XE machine, the holmes archive has a bunch of them. [edit[ Uggh! Straight into an unmappable? maze of desert, I found a rope but that's it... atarimania has some comments indicating it might be worth a play and it has a reasonable rating, plus slx liked it so might be asking him for some hints soon!! [edit] oooh I just found the swimming poll (see comments on atarimania!!) [edit] now I'm stuck in the darn pool !!!

Although it's (rightfully) out for this round, it's a nice game. You need to map the desert dropping items (it's not that big but not very orthogonal either). Gather all the stuff you can find in the desert (above and below the cliff), then head for the pool. Before entering the pool you'll have to endear the camel to you as you won't be able to reach a location with a critically needed tool without it. While the graphics are really nice considering the age and make good use of P/M graphics, it's often a "hunt the word" game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roadrunner said:

More scores -

Crypts Of Plumbers 

very easy 57 points
Not so easy 36 points

Egypt Ball 9,300

Loriens Tomb 5,800

got to a screen i couldn't figure out so quit game
one piece left with no match for it

Here's a hint - I'm not sure which screen you're on, but you can match more than two pieces at the same time. Try dropping one piece between two others that are identical.

• Like 2

King Tut's Tomb - nice game, nicer graphics than Tutankham - but "professional" difficulty is really quite challenging for an amateur player like myself. 4299

Pharaoh's Curse 1950 - didn't remember it to be that tough - lots of quick deaths when carried away by the bird or by mummy/pharaoh appearing where it can't be shot before being killed. Multi-room / maze games were just soo cool to be deterred by difficulty.

Desert Falcon 2900 (quite jerky - couldn't find the hieros before reaching the Sphinx)

HS King Tut 4299.png

HS Pharaos Curse 1950.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slx said:

Although it's (rightfully) out for this round, it's a nice game. You need to map the desert dropping items (it's not that big but not very orthogonal either). Gather all the stuff you can find in the desert (above and below the cliff), then head for the pool. Before entering the pool you'll have to endear the camel to you as you won't be able to reach a location with a critically needed tool without it. While the graphics are really nice considering the age and make good use of P/M graphics, it's often a "hunt the word" game. 

:thumbsup:

I had a couple of goes but only found a rope (that crumbled away!) so I gave up, maybe one more play before the round is over :)

@roardunner we have dropped a load of games and you are still playing them!!! See first post for the reduced line-up!

5 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

I had a couple of goes but only found a rope (that crumbled away!) so I gave up, maybe one more play before the round is over :)

@roardunner we have dropped a load of games and you are still playing them!!! See first post for the reduced line-up!

I thought we were playing 21 games? :( 

No bonus point for each game?

• Like 1

Desert Falcon - 8577 pts (Advanced)

King Tut's Tomb - 4579 pts (Difficulty 1, no backfire)

Revenge of the Mutant Camels - 12360 pts (3% completed)

As expected, Desert Falcon gave me no time at all to take a screenshot.

I also tried to load Pyramid Run, but it only ended in a black screen on my 130XE. I managed to load Pyramid the solitaire game, but most of the keys noted didn't work, and after randomly pressing some keys, none of those that worked in the first place worked any longer. I managed to break out into Turbo BASIC and could see the listing, but it didn't help me.

It would leave the text adventures for me to play before I have gone through all the games remaining in this round, and time to spend the second half of September on improving some of the scores already set.

king-tuts-tomb-4579.jpg.030bd794483722b191f56bef9d3967d2.jpg

revenge-mutant-camels-12360.thumb.jpg.31df877c244f5c2698de82d3eb4b43b1.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

There are several items in the desert, some of them hidden and only to be found using one of the other items. Mapping the desert is key to getting it done in time. There is no chance of finishing this without lots of saving (tedious, as you need to swap discs) and "learning by death", as they say in the adventure genre.

• Like 1