IGNORED

Captain Comic

3 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Ah...I think you are referring to the bilinear video filtering.

From the A7800 folder, open the A7800.ini file under notepad (Or any other simple text editor).

Change this:

image.png.96afd609608f064e519f8ccd161d56ae.png

To this:

image.png.c4e9af07b6bda44bfd086de3b5b47ae0.png 

Cheers mate yeah it was the bilinear filter, i knew it was looking like some sort of filter was being used. Alot of the time with SNES/GEN emulators i switch this option on or off depending on the game. Personally i prefer no filtering with NES and Atari emulators and/or 8bit gaming in general. I can see how filtering could make some 7800 games look alot nicer so i guess it's personal preference. Im assuming Matt has the feature turned off with ADS hence the reason im used to no filtering ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2020 at 3:06 AM, splendidnut said:

Sad to see that you removed all the downloads.  I wanted to give this a try after seeing the youtube clips, since it seems you improved upon the player movement compared to the original DOS version.

Thanks @splendidnut yeah i had worked on ironing out the player physics. Especially when it came to the jumping routine however i did have some more plans to smoothen things out a little more.

To be honest i kind of miss working on the project. Had only just completed the first levels layout and was yet to populate and refine item locations then enemy AI.

Like i said in a previous post the project was far from a game and needed alot of work. You never know i might pick it up later down the track if i feel screen to screen transitions would be significant enough. Id much rather screen scrolling like the original had.

So many other side projects that i haven't posted. The beauty of that is there isn't any expectations or disappointment :)

• Like 6

So i decided to re-upload the latest build i had for those like @splendidnut who hadn't a chance to play around with it. Was playing it myself today and kind of wish i kept at it. It's rough and not much of a game as i never populated the levels with features, items and enemy AI is fairly lackluster.

Anyway i had learnt alot about player physics and how to refine the players jumping mechanics. Was something i had always wanted to achieve on the 2600 yet struggled. So there is definitely some positives that came from this project.

Another gripe i had with this project was i wanted land based enemies. The issue is the height of captain comics fireball as it would fire overhead. Was thinking of a bouncing fireball like super mario bros. That would arise the similarity issue so i could never think of a way other then using tallsprites. Furthermore i was trying to prevent using any additional enemy sprites larger the 16 pixels high.

Anyway the ROM is attached to the first post

• Like 8

Awesome!  Thanks for posting that @TwentySixHundred

My first impression is that this is a pretty good start.  I definitely like the physics engine better than both the original and the NES versions.  Overall, the game seems to work quite well as a paging platformer.  Though I can definitely see the desire of wanting this to be a scrolling platformer like the original.  The 7800 needs more horizontal scrolling platformers!  :)  -- (If I were to make a 7800 game, that's probably what I'd do.... which I should do at some point)

After I made that post the other day, I ended up playing the DOS version of Captain Comic quite a bit.  I was a bit surprised at how much better I was at the game than when I was a kid.  I succeeded at the "leap of faith" jump on the moon level, on the first try!  I gave the NES version a go... and agree with the other assessments people made in this thread.

Overall, I think you've really started to capture the spirit of the original and I hope you do continue with this project... whenever that may be.

Thanks again for sharing.

----

Some random thoughts that came to mind:  Given this POC, I could easily envision either a 2600 version being made OR with the current graphics style, this could easily be an A8/5200 game.  Just some food for thought.

Also some links I found that might be useful with development:  (wrapped in a spoiler section due to actual spoilers when following the links)

• Thanks 1

Thankyou @splendidnut for the links and kind words. That sort of development insight is exactly what i was looking for when creating level design. The amount of useful information in those links is invaluable. Really makes me want to continue on with the project so im going to have a good read through and see if it sparks the fire.

I might continue on the side along with City Sim and a few others i have lined up so i don't burn out. Was also thinking about the page scrolling and i guess it's not that bad, however i will need to think more about how enemy AI works so it fits the concept. IE: like the enemies will chase onto the next screen but with a slight pause or something so it's not unfair. (enemies need alot of work)

Yeah the "leap of faith" on the moon stage i would call kind of iconic. Both my brother and myself would take turns trying to make the jump. Last time i played i was the same as you and remembered the jump but nailed it first shot ?. As a young lad we thought it was difficult yet these days it really isn't.

Anyway lots of good memories with Captain Comic in the day, see how things go.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

@TwentySixHundred I finally got around to testing this game on my CC2 today. What a truly phenomenal effort I see unfolding! Great graphics, cool screen-by-screen horizontal gameplay, and fun, unique characters!

I was able to get it to load using the following text in my MENU.TXT file:

7800:	Captain Comic	CAPTCOMC7512	78QUICK

I hope to see more development with this one, as it has huge potential! Another platformer like this is needed for our Atari 7800 that we love so much. Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words @phattyboombatty

Yeah i have kind of put the project to the side for a few reasons i had mentioned in older posts. I do open the source from time to time and think i really should work on the enemy AI and add some content. The first level was never completed other then the screen layouts.

I had some decent background tiles ready for the following levels that only ever made it into an early demo. Anyway i would really like to fix the enemy AI and items some time in the near future.

Im sure the motivation will arise someday as i always liked the DOS game.

Thanks for checking it out :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Captain Comic on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 2

On 8/30/2020 at 10:44 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

First release ROM of this WIP - feel free to have a play around on the first level :)

Far from perfect and lots of work to go however it is playable

ads.thumb.png.24aefa6eca693307c0462b08bdea0969.png

Latest Build: Captain Comic.bas.a78 512.13 kB · 102 downloads

Did you take inspiration from ICT? and mashed SMB in there?

Nice graphics! I'll need to try this AND JUST BECAUSE... can you try to access an invalid world for me plz?

15 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Oh. 

Nice game!

Btw, this game is a better ICT than ICT. I'll see if I can make something like this in 320 modes and if I can, I'll show you! (If I try at all. also, it would be asm 52K)

Edit: I just wish the jump physics were better, other than that I'll play this any day! You might want to add music as well. Is this done?

Edit 2: Are you still working on this?

Edited by Ecernosoft

On 9/26/2020 at 7:25 PM, TwentySixHundred said:

Cheers Karl, yeah for some reason the file is 1kb larger?

I usually just compile and run straight from ADS so i hadn't really taken notice of the compiled files.

So now my findings is that i can't manually run the .bin file i posted in A7800 as it's just returning an error.

Further more i can run the .A78 however the quality looks drastically bad compared to the built in A7800 with ADS.

I have no idea why i can't run the files properly in the same quality as the built in emulator of ADS. Anyway here is the .A78 file ?

Having said that it's showing 512kb when uploaded here... Strange lol

Hey, since you are using atari dev studio could you show me how to get the .bin from it?

3 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

Did you take inspiration from ICT? and mashed SMB in there?

Nice graphics! I'll need to try this AND JUST BECAUSE... can you try to access an invalid world for me plz?

I started this in 2020 way before ICT and not inspired by SMB, as splendidnut pointed out it was an old DOS game. The second level cannot be accessed as i have commented out that code because it only has like two pages or so.

It's also far from complete, infact it's in very early stages and has just sat on the backburner. I really didn't think the community had much interest in this project and thought it was just nostalgia on my part.

The ROM is 512k only because it was very early development. I had no idea how much ROM space the level design would take as the plan was to create many levels.

Next to no enemy AI, jumping physics and additional tweaks were all planned but once again very early dev. There really isn't all that much to this game at the moment other than what is playable. This one i would like to continue even if just for my own memories.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I started this in 2020 way before ICT and not inspired by SMB, as splendidnut pointed out it was an old DOS game. The second level cannot be accessed as i have commented out that code because it only has like two pages or so.

It's also far from complete, infact it's in very early stages and has just sat on the backburner. I really didn't think the community had much interest in this project and thought it was just nostalgia on my part.

The ROM is 512k only because it was very early development. I had no idea how much ROM space the level design would take as the plan was to create many levels.

Next to no enemy AI, jumping physics and additional tweaks were all planned but once again very early dev. There really isn't all that much to this game at the moment other than what is playable. This one i would like to continue even if just for my own memories.

Yeah. I wanted to do more for ICT but it took too long. (I was coding in assembly and I'm only 14!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 11:35 PM, TwentySixHundred said:

Oh you have at least one person interested - me! Since this was the first game I played on a neighbor's IBM back in the day and I always found the NES version to be off.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SearsRoebuck said:

Oh you have at least one person interested - me! Since this was the first game I played on a neighbor's IBM back in the day and I always found the NES version to be off.  

And me of course. Any platformers are interesting to me since I like those games. To the degree that I enjoy super Mario bros special. No joke, I beat it in one sitting (but I had save states)

• 7 months later...