IGNORED

PlayStation 3 Turns On and Then Immediately Turns Off

Games Retrospect

Hi! So my cousin gave me his broken Super Slim PlayStation 3 and since I have some free time here and there, I made it my personal mission to try and fix it. I got it today and disassembled the whole thing, cleaned it as much as I could (it was really dusty) and replaced the HDD with one that worked. The problem is that the system is not working properly: when you turn it on, it immediately turns off. As far as I know, this is a common issue (yellow light of death is the internet is to be believed), but I can't seem to find if there's an actual solution. My cousin's solution was to wrap a bunch of rubber bands around the system and this seemed to work for a while (it might be similar to what's happening to this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-_RL1h-4U). Although I like to troubleshoot these kind of problems, I'm by no means a technician or anything like that. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do other than start to replace parts, take it to someone else (who, god forbid, knows what they are doing) or throw it away. Again, I have some free time and I'd love to sort this out myself, but there are so many ideas out there that I wouldn't even know where to start. Should I use thermal paste, should I re-ball, should I disassemble the PSU? I don't know, any ideas are more than welcome. Slim

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Games Retrospect