IGNORED

Public Service Announcement: RB+ is over

ggn

Hi folks,

Due to reasons I'd rather not discuss, I'm henceforth stopping all RB+ development and support. The github and bitbucket repositories will remain in place for a couple of days and will then be taken down.

Thank you for all your interest in this experiment, it's been a fun 6 years. It's time to move on. Please don't PM me or ask me about this using any means, messages will be ignored.

See you around,

GGN

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

32 minutes ago, ggn said:

Hi folks,

Due to reasons I'd rather not discuss, I'm henceforth stopping all RB+ development and support. The github and bitbucket repositories will remain in place for a couple of days and will then be taken down.

Thank you for all your interest in this experiment, it's been a fun 6 years. It's time to move on. Please don't PM me or ask me about this using any means, messages will be ignored.

See you around,

GGN

These tutorial threads will remain right? I sure hope so.

There is a lot of useful information in these threads for people still interested in using RB+.

You have always been very helpful ggn, thank you for all that you have done.

While I can understand not wanting to support such a package anymore for a multitude of reasons, I feel like completely removing it for others to access and use would be terrible for the Jag community. Why not just leave it in place so that others can use it in the future at some point? Not that removing it would prevent it from being hosted elsewhere I suppose.

I do appreciate you and everyone involved in making this package for those of us who like to mess around on the Jag in such creative way possible, a lot of cool things have been worked on and are still being done for the Jag as a result and for that, I thank you.

3 hours ago, RevEng said:

I didn't see a license file on the github... before you drop it, considering applying a license, so it might have a second life some day if someone else picks up the torch.

No idea about the license for rB+ but the license for using RAPTOR API (which rB+ uses) is pretty clear:

“The Software” refers to the RAPTOR Engine, which is provided as an assembled binary object file for use on the Atari Jaguar 64 bit Multimedia System.

“Author(s)” refers to the group, REBOOT (https://reboot-games.com)

Licensing:

This software is provided free of charge to anyone and everyone.

REBOOT accept no responsibility for damage or loss by its use or misuse.

REBOOT grants you the right to use this software within your own works provided that:

1. Clear identification of the use of this software is included within your own works, either by use of the currently aproved logo (provided), or textually.

2. The identification of the use of this software must appear within the digital works in a manner that is visible to the end user and upon any physical packaging.

3. The software may not be reverse engineered or modified without prior written consent of the author(s).

4. No source code forming any part of The Software is to be distributed without explicit permission from the author(s).

I've archived the final release of rB+ on the reboot-games.com site, but please do not contact myself for assistance with rB+ as I haven't had any major involvement with the project for years.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm laying around half brain-dead I gravitate towards familiar topics like video games, so off to AA I went. This thread's title caught my eye so I ended up reading through all the Jag Programming forums, never really poked around in there before... and wow. The mere fact that something like rB+ existed as an accessible entry point to virtually anyone makes this scene special enough, but it's so much more.
I didn't know there were so many underlying pieces from so many different contributors. Everything's open and free, nobody's keeping their toys locked away. There's seemingly perpetual active support/additions. Just one example, I knew U-235 is a sound engine but did not know it was released in 2011 and Linkovich is in its thread keeping things rolling to this very day.
Above all else though... I thought I was a patient guy. Nope. Receiving a bug report in the form of "it didn't work" alone takes a bite out of my patience. I have no idea how many of you, ggn in particular, remained so helpful in such a timely manner despite many discouraging things going on. There's the aforementioned "it didn't work" (continuously, even after being educated why that's useless), complaining about the tools or referring to non-existent bugs within them. Whining, snide remarks, sample projects being monetized, unfinished works being stolen and sold... so much shit that would've made me throw in the towel a long time ago.

On the other hand I did see the kind of positivity that makes you want to stick with things despite some headaches. The threads I enjoyed most were made by enthusiastic individuals persevering through all obstacles, making sure they gave it their all before taking time away from someone else by asking for help. It was fun moving from page to page, seeing ideas become reality, projects evolving. Everything's finally put together, the placeholder title/graphics are replaced with something to give the game its own identity, and just like that there +1 to add to the Jag's game library.

In other words... cool beans.

Edited by Buffalo Biff Burgertime
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, joeyaage said:

Sad news. I am Shocked.

At least it ever existed to begin with and is in such a state that people can still do a lot of cool things on the Jag if they really choose to learn and do so. I've spent years with it and haven't really released anything credible to show for it but that time has been used learning and even more so experimenting, with at least 1 mini game completed (yet to be released) and another full game nearly completed, with the hard part of finalizing the animation work needing to be done.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:13 PM, Zerosquare said:

@ggn: just to make things clear:

- would you allow someone else to take over the development of rB+?

It would be cool for someone to pick it up and expand upon it since it's such a great foundation as it is, but who would even bother really? As it stands, there are only a few more things I could even ask for from the package at this point but those are outside of the original intended scope or purpose of what this was to begin with (or so I believe anyways) and just makes me feel greedy for even thinking about extra "features" to an already freely available package.

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, since I replied to a private e-mail the other day and I've been getting some PMs, I might as well post here:

Just do whatever you wish to do with the project. Fork it, rename it, rip out bits of it and use it elsewhere, redo from scratch - it's all good! It's not like I'll lose millions on it or something. Just use your common sense and it'll all be fine. And for people that like FAQs, here is the same thing in that format:

Q: Can I....? (assuming using common sense)

A: Yes!

So, Merry Christmas to everyone and stay safe! (and have fun with this)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ggn said:

Ok, since I replied to a private e-mail the other day and I've been getting some PMs, I might as well post here:

Just do whatever you wish to do with the project. Fork it, rename it, rip out bits of it and use it elsewhere, redo from scratch - it's all good! It's not like I'll lose millions on it or something. Just use your common sense and it'll all be fine. And for people that like FAQs, here is the same thing in that format:

Q: Can I....? (assuming using common sense)

A: Yes!

So, Merry Christmas to everyone and stay safe! (and have fun with this)

Merry Christmas ggn!

OK, update time:

• This is being actively worked on at this moment. 
  • We have split the build into seperate modules: rB+, RAPTOR, U235, Zero, etc.
  • Commands have been renamed to make more sense (no more powa-whatever!) and each module's calls have been prefixed, eg:  rapPrint, u235PlayModule, etc.
  • Some commands have been unified (There is now one call for reading the pad, regardless of which DSP engine is in use.)
  • RAPTOR API2.x has replaced the old RAPTORv1 API, so this should now easily get ongoing support and fixes via the API and new functions when added.
  • The ROM builder now adds the fast GPU depack by default and enables 6MB mode on the skunkboard (Side effect: Bank2 of the skunk cannot be flashed with an rB+ ROM due to this)
  • General optimisations

We have also renamed this project to: JagStudio

JagStudio consists of:

• The build environment (rB+ toolchain and compiler)
  • RAPTOR API 2.x
  • U235 Sound Engine
  • ZeroPlayer Sound Engine
  • Any other module we add

The other reason for the rename is because the changes made will render existing rB+ code as uncompilable (we have a simple checklist for porting your code over, so don't fear! Search/Replace can do it!) and because we don't want support requests for JagStudio to go back into the rB+ forums.

We are currently working on:

• Finishing up all the calls
  • Testing all the calls
  • Documentation
  • Examples

Once all this is done, we will announce and release it.

Please be patient - it will be worth it.  And keep playing with rB+ in the meantime, as I said above, you can easily bring your code over to JagStudio when we release it!

The JagStudio Team

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8