IGNORED

PlusCart + TJ's 32-char txt + new font...

Andrew Davie

The 32 line text technology is originally by @Thomas Jentzsch

This screenshot is from the PlusCart by @Al_Nafuur on the prototype I'm running...

with my very own 3-pixel-wide Upper/Lowercase font for the actual text.

It looks remarkably good on my TV - no flicker at all.

One of those things "if I could change something to improve this, what would it be?"... "nothing. It's perfect".

This is technology that's just begging to be taken further...

32.thumb.jpg.5ce0fb1545959327b465c9edc82c78f0.jpg

I can see a text adventure in my near future...

Can you believe that font is just 3 pixels wide?!  Can you believe the above screenshot is from a '2600?

Unlikely, but here we have it!

• Like 10

Here's the topic from 2011 where the 32 character text display was developed on the 2600.  @solidcorp came up with the initial display, though it had some player alignment issues in a few locations that causes letters to be too far apart or too close together:

Text32.png

Then @eshu came up with a version without alignment issues for text:

32charnew.bin.png

though it had a player alignment issue on the right side that prevented it from working as a 128 pixel display:

32charnew2.bin.png

The text data for those 3 players gets shifted left 1 pixel to compensate.  In 2012 I used this arrangement for the credits easter egg in Space Rocks:

spacerocks.png

In 2016 @cd-w figured out a player arrangement that allowed for 128 pixel display:

128.png

At PRGE 2017 I showed Joe DeCuir a number of things we'd been working on, such as Bus Stuffing. The 32 character display impressed him the most.

• Like 7

I've made an interlaced 36 character display before:

36_Char_Interlaced_201805020.thumb.png.98ef3acf55c27e76c4250d2f2a556759.png

It's okay, but was meant to be developed further into something like CDFJ, BUS, etc... because it is just using rom right now. Lots of gaps but a good display if only 3 bit wide characters are needed.

There are also some other 36 character displays I made in that thread, but I believe that was the only interlaced one.

ZackAttack did work out a full 160 bit display for BUS stuffing. It's not interlaced but impressive. I wrote a test rom that focuses on one bit a time, to check the timing and it worked on my system.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Then @eshu came up with a version without alignment issues for text:

32charnew.bin.png

Thanks for the summary. ?

The above kernel is the base of my code. The main different is the single line vertical resolution. But I still made sure that there are always two lines used per pixel (improves LCD TVs display).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks for the summary. ?

gern geschehen!

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The above kernel is the base of my code. The main different is the single line vertical resolution. But I still made sure that there are always two lines used per pixel (improves LCD TVs display).

It supports single line resolution, there are 128x200 bitmap examples in the Bus Stuffing Demos topic. I didn't have space for a more detailed font in Space Rocks.

128bus.png

1 minute ago, SpiceWare said:

It supports single line resolution, there are 128x200 bitmap examples in the Bus Stuffing Demos topic. I didn't have space for a more detailed font in Space Rocks.

I know and I didn't want to imply anything different.

My kernel is using a LOT of RAM which is required by using standard 6507 assembler. I am pretty sure a CDFJ kernel can be done much more efficiently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Here's the topic from 2011 where the 32 character text display was developed on the 2600.  @solidcorp came up with the initial display, though it had some player alignment issues in a few locations that causes letters to be too far apart or too close together:

<snip>

in a situation like this, does one take the names or contact information of the main contributors and include it in the comments of the kernel so that it is memorialized in the klacks?

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You are creating it on-the-fly. So it must be RAM, no?

For the ARM it's RAM, but for the VCS ROM.
And "on-the-fly" means, that it is "assembled" to a static 28Kb ROM in the ARM RAM while the VCS is in it's waitroutine in it's own RAM.

6 minutes ago, D Train said:

<snip>

in a situation like this, does one take the names or contact information of the main contributors and include it in the comments of the kernel so that it is memorialized in the klacks?

I try to put links in my source like this in Frantic*:

// Constants used for divide by 5 logic using Reciprocal Multiplication
// http://homepage.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/bcd/divide.html
#define DIV_BY_5                0xCCCD
#define DIV_BY_5_SHIFT          18
#define DIV_BY_6                0xAAAB
#define DIV_BY_6_SHIFT          18

But I don't always think to do it.  Doesn't look like I did for Space Rocks, though I did add Eshu to the credits easter egg because I rewrote his kernel to use DPC+ data streams instead of ZP RAM.

Reciprocal Multiplication is a way to do hardware division on a CPU that only has supports hardware multiplication. Can read more about it here:

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 4:27 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

klacks?

oops, it's clacks, not klacks.

the clacks are a system of physical semaphores used to communicate over long distances in the discworld stories by terry pratchett.

in the stories, a character dies and is memorialized by sending his name back and forth (eternally) along the clack lines.

when pratchett died in real life, people decided to memorialize him by sending his name back and forth via their webservers.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/shortcuts/2015/mar/17/terry-pratchetts-name-lives-on-in-the-clacks-with-hidden-web-code

so I was playing on that.

:)

On 9/6/2020 at 1:57 PM, Omegamatrix said:

I've made an interlaced 36 character display before:

That reminds me.  On my hardware using that 36 char interlaced kernel:

On my 2600 four switch woody, the first two chars have artifacts consistently on both Harmony and Unocart.

On the 7800, it works properly intermittently, but never consistently.

IMG_20200909_215859.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 3:16 AM, SpiceWare said:

In 2016 @cd-w figured out a player arrangement that allowed for 128 pixel display:

128.png

Is the above demo a bus-stuffer, ARM based, or 6507?

I ask because I'd like to explore options for a full 128 pixel display on the PlusCart without the 3-pixel limitations per character.

Edited by Andrew Davie

7 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Is the above demo a bus-stuffer, ARM based, or 6507?

ARM based.  It's using DPC+, not BUS.

There's a test ROM in reply 143 with the reverse field characters, it also shows the player layout and how the ball is used to hide 1 extra copy of a player. Note 1 about having to use the PF to hide the leftmost copies of P0 is no longer valid as Stella's been updated to emulate that correctly.

There's source for another version in reply 169. It does not have the reverse field characters, but does have a line drawing demo that shows the full 128 pixels across.   Use Left Difficulty to switch between the two, and the Right Difficult to colorize the players and ball to easier see the layout.

556242238_ScreenShot2020-09-10at10_45_35AM.thumb.png.dffd2a999e5d79d2c7ec42730187ded3.png

1874600630_ScreenShot2020-09-10at10_45_25AM.thumb.png.92480ff045fb585752e9f8bcac1bd0a6.png

597361804_ScreenShot2020-09-10at10_48_26AM.thumb.png.0333145f7dd276166fc8befdf8ba455d.png

If the ball object is not used the display shows this:

244098911_ScreenShot2020-09-10at10_51_23AM.thumb.png.b9b92375b5ea8697ddf59fe9dbb1c6fd.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, orange808 said:

That reminds me.  On my hardware using that 36 char interlaced kernel:

On my 2600 four switch woody, the first two chars have artifacts consistently on both Harmony and Unocart.

On the 7800, it works properly intermittently, but never consistently.

IMG_20200909_215859.jpg

Thank you for reporting. On my systems it tested fine, but It is doing a lot of tight timing so I'm not surprised it failed.

Are your consoles NTSC?

14 minutes ago, Omegamatrix said:

Thank you for reporting. On my systems it tested fine, but It is doing a lot of tight timing so I'm not surprised it failed.

Are your consoles NTSC?

Yes.  NTSC.  

It's the first two characters and the first column of the third character that have artifacts.  So, it might still be a reliable interlaced 33 chars kernel with a small blank space on the left.  :)

20 years ago I wold not have ever believed this was possible on a plain-vanilla '2600.

That is, it's just standard 6507 code in action drawing this screen... pretty much a 32x16 text display.

This is the amazing PlusCart menu/display system in action once again... I'm having lots of fun designing fonts.

In my first-ever real programming job, my boss had to tell me that the font was good enough, and I "really should do some other stuff".... so it's definitely in my blood. I'm fairly confident now, that a decent text-adventure would work on this system. I've been talking to a certain person...

Anyway, posting this screenshot because new font, more lines per screen.... still think it's awesome.

And fascinating the history mentioned above -- it just shows how we all build on the advances of others, and the huge advantages for us all in freely sharing our code with each other.

512.jpg.4e2b0001b8a5ef20f0913d49682a681d.jpg

• Like 5