IGNORED

Highlight centering incorrect

Thomas Jentzsch

36 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I designed the kernel to color one line above and below the selected menu entry. Currently there is no line highlighted above and two lines are highlighted below. Which look odd, IMO.

I also noticed this issue, and would love to see better centering. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have added a "Set Line Spacing" to the setup menu, which now allows for Dense (14 lines), Medium (12 lines) and Sparse (10 lines) display.  The highlight menu is now (mostly) centered based on the font chosen (that is, it's custom for each font type).  I imagine small improvements could be made here and there, but the basic mechanism is now there - and we'll be able to set the spacing so it's right.

Just checked in to DEV - will be available in the next beta release.

I rather like the "Medium" spacing with the "Glacier Belle" font.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

I have added a "Set Line Spacing" to the setup menu, which now allows for Dense (14 lines), Medium (12 lines) and Sparse (10 lines) display. 

?

The backend API needs this information too! Curently it decides by the firmware version how many lines (and chars per line) the client can display..

35 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

... and yet... it works fine for me!!

Did you have a look at the High Score table (Public ROMs/PlusROMs/High Score Club/High Score List.txt )?

Also the responses by the PlusCart API for the "Popular ROMs" and "Recently Added ROMs" folder depend on the amount of lines the PlusCart should be able to display.

10 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Did you have a look at the High Score table (Public ROMs/PlusROMs/High Score Club/High Score List.txt )?

Also the responses by the PlusCart API for the "Popular ROMs" and "Recently Added ROMs" folder depend on the amount of lines the PlusCart should be able to display.

No, I have never seen/used the high score table.

However, the latter two seemed to work OK when I tested an hour ago. I'm not near the machine right now.

But I checked by looking at the last ROM on one page and the first one on the next, and adjusted # lines and looked again. There did not appear to be any ROMs appearing/disappearing between the various # changes.  I'm pretty sure those two worked fine.

I will do some more testing tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

The High Score List is build by the API to show one page per Game..

The "Popular ROMs" and "Recently Added ROMs" are build by the API to show a result of 3 full pages..

I haven't thoroughly checked today, but I assume that the API is sending for a screen size of 14 lines.

The PlusCart side of things just pulls down as many lines as it needs for the display, which will be 10, 12, or 14.

When it pages, it tells the PlusCart the first entry of the page... and so it all works.

What doesn't "work" is the API assuming the size of 14 and making highscore.txt and most recent roms etc.., a multiple of 14 (or whatever screen size is assumed to be for the particular ROM version).  This doesn't make much sense to me.  I don't think of (for example) "3 pages of high scores".  I think of "the top 20 high scores".

I'm suggesting that the PlusCart can for the most part be considered a display device with an arbitrary number of lines (10, 12, 14 at the moment) and the API "serves" up to the maximum # lines.  Meanwhile. external stuff such as lists of recent files, high score tables, are completely independent of the # lines displayed by the PlusCart.

I'd rework the high score list as a separate game name menu, and you click on the game and you're taken to another view of the high scores for that game. Rather than one big text file which you have to page down many times to get to somewhere.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

What doesn't "work" is the API assuming the size of 14 and making highscore.txt and most recent roms etc.., a multiple of 14 (or whatever screen size is assumed to be for the particular ROM version).  This doesn't make much sense to me.  I don't think of (for example) "3 pages of high scores".  I think of "the top 20 high scores".

Top 20 would be 1 and (nearly) a half page per game. It would be hard to find the game you are looking for in the current solution. And some games currently don't have 20 scores...

Showing all games in one big text file and one game per page, was the easiest implementation for the highscore.txt function in the API. But to generate a somehow clean and readable text-file the API must know the amounts of lines per page the PlusCart will display.

18 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

I'd rework the high score list as a separate game name menu, and you click on the game and you're taken to another view of the high scores for that game. Rather than one big text file which you have to page down many times to get to somewhere.

Yes I thought of this too, but it would be a much bigger effort to build and we would need a second menu for the game variants. Maybe even a third menu if there are more than 1024 scores for the game variant..

Edited by Al_Nafuur

But if "High Score" was just a directory, with filenames being the name of the game (or game/variant), then a regular text display would work for the actual contents.  You're already effectively doing this with text files in the root menu. I plonk a text file there, it's in the menu and I click on it, I see the contents. Couldn't the high score system be just like that?  Seems like a cleaner way/implementation to me. 

The above would be a generic way to handle indexes/contents, too.  For example, the user guide would be nicer with clickable headings taking you to the contents relevant to the heading you clicked.  Each section would be a new file, placed in a directory "User Manual"

2 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

But if "High Score" was just a directory, with filenames being the name of the game (or game/variant), then a regular text display would work for the actual contents.  You're already effectively doing this with text files in the root menu. I plonk a text file there, it's in the menu and I click on it, I see the contents. Couldn't the high score system be just like that?  Seems like a cleaner way/implementation to me. 

the High Score.txt file is not a real text file it is dynamically generated by the backend from the Database, so if you score the first place in an High Score ROM you will find your user name immediately in this pseudo text file.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

The above would be a generic way to handle indexes/contents, too.  For example, the user guide would be nicer with clickable headings taking you to the contents relevant to the heading you clicked.  Each section would be a new file, placed in a directory "User Manual"

I thought of using "pseudo" menus to handle indexes/contents inside markdown files or even links in html files. But this would be a much bigger parsing effort in the backend than the current simple text file reader..

Edited by Al_Nafuur

• 1 month later...