IGNORED

Toaplan shooters to be reissued by Retro-Bit

Steven Pendleton

No, unfortunately, Slap Fight MD is not one of them, which is a shame because that's the best one by far and also the rarest and most expensive of them all.

http://retro-bit.com/toaplan-shooters/

I wonder what will happen with Zero Wing's translation for the European release... it does seem that they do have the bad translation in one of the screenshots, though!

Prices are not announced yet, so I wonder how much they will be $44.99 each or $159.99 for the set, which makes me somewhat hesitant. I have to go in town to check how much these go for now, but I think Same! Same! Same! is cheaper, Hellfire is maybe a bit more expensive, and Zero Wing is a little cheaper after the exchange rate. Not sure about Tatsujin since I've never seen that one for sale. Carts also not compatible with Japanese MD because they don't have the cutout for the cartridge lock, it seems, but it's easy enough to remove the cart lock or use a 32X (which I do have) or Mega Drive 2 (which I do not have) so it's not really much of a problem.

...and I checked Amazon and Tatsujin can be had cheaper than that before the exchange rate. Not sure how I feel about this collection overall. I got EXTREMELY excited when I got the email since my brain went "Genesis/MD Toaplan shooter reissues = AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SLAP FIGHT MD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111one11111!!!!!!" but sadly that's not happening. If it was, absolutely no hesitation. It isn't, so...

Edited by Steven Pendleton
made URL a hyperlink
  • Like 2

They actually fixed the YM3438 busy behaviour in Hellfire! Might be worth it just so I can actually play it properly on the Nomad now!

Also, the Fire Shark cart's color is "translucent air strike". I wasn't aware that air strike is a color, but now that I am, I think it might be my new favourite color.

• Haha 2

On 9/16/2020 at 2:52 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I preordered the Truxton and Fireshark ones this morning. Not cheap..and it does make the collection bundle the best overall purchase but Yikes! I think my pre-order for Mad-Stalker for the Genesis was cheaper from JPN.

I missed Mega Drive Mad Stalker somehow, unfortunately. I guess I can still play it on my PC Engine, but I do wonder how both console versions compare to the X68000 version.

Anyway, I have decided that I kind of want the whole set for no really good reason other than because I can, but every time I see that price I instantly don't want it anymore. I think I have all of the Japanese versions of these games on my MegaSD anyway as well as the PAL Zero Wing with the cheat code to make it run at 60Hz, but the thought of having an official bad translation Zero Wing that runs in 60Hz naturally is too tempting, as is the fixed busy behaviour in Hellfire so I can FINALLY play it on my Nomad.

I read the FAQ on their website and it says that these don't work in the Japanese Mega Drive because Japanese Mega Drives only accept Japanese carts... which is totally not true since they do actually fit, and only the cart lock in the Mega Drive stops it and non-standard carts work just fine, like EA carts. Still, all you have to do is get rid of the cart lock or use a Mega Drive 2. These are not region locked, so there's no reason they wouldn't work.

Apparently db Electronics designed the carts, too: https://www.retrorgb.com/toaplan-collectors-edition-bundle-pre-orders.html

5 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I missed Mega Drive Mad Stalker somehow, unfortunately. I guess I can still play it on my PC Engine, but I do wonder how both console versions compare to the X68000 version.

I read the FAQ on their website and it says that these don't work in the Japanese Mega Drive because Japanese Mega Drives only accept Japanese carts... which is totally not true since they do actually fit, and only the cart lock in the Mega Drive stops it and non-standard carts work just fine, like EA carts. Still, all you have to do is get rid of the cart lock or use a Mega Drive 2. These are not region locked, so there's no reason they wouldn't work.

I believe the MD version of Mad Stalker is designed more off the X68000 version. I believe the music especially is this way.

As for these carts not working on the JPN MD. All they had to do was make them in Euro style carts so the cartridge lock could still be used and yet the design of the cart would still fit in a US Genesis as well. So that seems odd they didn't go with a Euro cart shell design. Lost of other home brews have gone that route.

18 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I believe the MD version of Mad Stalker is designed more off the X68000 version. I believe the music especially is this way.

As for these carts not working on the JPN MD. All they had to do was make them in Euro style carts so the cartridge lock could still be used and yet the design of the cart would still fit in a US Genesis as well. So that seems odd they didn't go with a Euro cart shell design. Lost of other home brews have gone that route.

I'll have to look into Mad Stalker. Maybe I can find a copy in town. BEEP made it and they are one 17 minute train ride and a 5 minute walk from my house, so maybe they have a few extra copies, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I have never seen a European MD cart. I thought the are the same as US carts, but maybe I'm wrong. Unless you're talking about something like the Xeno Crisis cart, which has the cutout for the lock

https://shop.bitmapbureau.com/products/xeno-crisis-sega-mega-drive-genesis-cartridge

Still, I can just plug in my 32X, remove my cart lock, or use my Mega Sg, Nomad, or newly acquired MD2 (which sadly is a VA0 and has horrible audio. Good thing I only paid 1000 yen for it!).

Edited by Steven Pendleton

The Euro carts are shaped just like the Genesis carts but have the cutout for the cart lock as I believe that was on the European PAL units? I've can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure that all of the Euro carts have the cutout and that is why it many of the homebrew releases use that style cartridge since it will fit in all Megadrive/Genesis systems at that point. 

And I just got shipping notification for Mad Stalker this morning! Awesome!!! Looks like I will have it possibly early next week. 

13 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The Euro carts are shaped just like the Genesis carts but have the cutout for the cart lock as I believe that was on the European PAL units? I've can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure that all of the Euro carts have the cutout and that is why it many of the homebrew releases use that style cartridge since it will fit in all Megadrive/Genesis systems at that point. 

And I just got shipping notification for Mad Stalker this morning! Awesome!!! Looks like I will have it possibly early next week. 

That's for the Japanese Mega Drive Games, There's no cut out on PAL Games

8 hours ago, NinjaWarrior said:

That's for the Japanese Mega Drive Games, There's no cut out on PAL Games

I was mistaken then. I thought I had seen PAL megadrive carts in Genesis style shells for sale at my local shops in the past that had those notches in them? So only the recent home brews etc. using new shells have the notches in them for JPN MD compatibility then? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, mine finally showed up today! I put Hellfire in my Nomad and the music DOES play at the proper speed! That makes this the definitive release of this version of the game, then, as the music plays properly on all hardware types. Carts themselves look really good aesthetically and the cart PCB edges look great, as well. Extremely glad I got this set and will be putting some time into each of these immediately.

• Like 1

I put Zero Wing in my Nomad and played the whole thing today. It was considerably longer than I expected, as I'd never played beyond the second stage before. Excellent music for the first 2 stages (some of the best on the platform, for that matter), but then just kind of decent music for the rest of it. Now to play the rest of them.

My Truxton's serial number is also really low. I got #57 of 3500. The other 3 are in I believe the 1800~2500 range.

17 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Still waiting on shipping notification for my my copies of Fireshark and Truxton. I didn't get the entire set as I honestly couldn't figure out where I would them. 

It took me a while for them to get me mine. I got a tracking number over a week before the thing even shipped, for that matter, so I think that it's reasonable to think you may have a similar experience, but since you're in the USA, I imagine the actual "getting to you once shipped" part will probably be faster than it was for me.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 3:16 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

I put Zero Wing in my Nomad and played the whole thing today. It was considerably longer than I expected, as I'd never played beyond the second stage before. Excellent music for the first 2 stages (some of the best on the platform, for that matter), but then just kind of decent music for the rest of it. Now to play the rest of them.

My Truxton's serial number is also really low. I got #57 of 3500. The other 3 are in I believe the 1800~2500 range.

It took me a while for them to get me mine. I got a tracking number over a week before the thing even shipped, for that matter, so I think that it's reasonable to think you may have a similar experience, but since you're in the USA, I imagine the actual "getting to you once shipped" part will probably be faster than it was for me.

I'll just play the PC Engine CD Zero Wing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 3:16 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

I did receive my copies of Truxton, and Fireshark late last week but I've not popped them in to actually play. Again, I own actual loose carts of the games but these looked really cool and I figured a CIB officially licensed re-release is better than no CIB?

Anyway, I really like the quality and feel of these overall. But I do feel that that in the case of the Truxton case insert, the colors and printing seems to have lost detail compared to the original release back in the day. These also have reversible covers, which I wasn't aware of until I received them in. Firesharks covers are okay and I just left it with the original, but I think I swapped Truxton's to the alternate cover as I thought it looked better.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I really liked the interviews with staff. The puffy stickers are meh.

I didn't open the stickers and left them sealed up. Like I said, the only thing I had an issue with is that US cover being used for Truxton looks off from the original print release as the colors and too dark and detail is missing.

16 hours ago, nebrazca88 said:

TBH I find this a bit confusing.  If you're not going to get an original copy, why would you want a repro?  If you have an EverDrive you have everything.  And if you don't have the original, having a repro is like having an EverDrive that only has one game on it.

1. these are not repros

2. you're condoning piracy when these games are now legally available again?

3. this release is the absolute definitive version of Genesis/MD Hellfire, and is superior to the original version

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1