IGNORED

TI BASIC/TI EXTENDED BASIC Games that are worth to be compiled...

tmop69

On 11/28/2020 at 10:38 AM, tmop69 said:

@Tursi ok, I've found the problem, but not the solution.

and run it on RXB, you'll get the same behaviour of the compiled version on the initial screen. ? 

So now, how to fix it?

Well.. without needing to come to too deep a knowledge, I support we could just try fixed point...

It's not used in too many places... I can't debug deep today, but we can try this:

3910 H1=100

3930 H=(INT(2*RND))+INT(H1/100)

3950 H1=H1+(ASC(SEG$(L6$,F+2,1)))

I think the usage of H1 from 4040-4060 (and the later use of H) is probably okay without floats. It gives us the right shape, anyway! :)

I also noted this at 3900:

3900 RANDOMIZE VAL(SEG$(L6$,F+1,1))

I'm not sure how the compiler generates random sequences, but this suggests to me some of the bumpy bits may be slightly different, but we're probably okay as long as they are /consistent/ every run.

Edited by Tursi
editor is broken again...
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Well.. without needing to come to too deep a knowledge, I support we could just try fixed point...

It's not used in too many places... I can't debug deep today, but we can try this:

Reveal hidden contents

3910 H1=100

3930 H=(INT(2*RND))+INT(H1/100)

3950 H1=H1+(ASC(SEG$(L6$,F+2,1)))

I think the usage of H1 from 4040-4060 (and the later use of H) is probably okay without floats. It gives us the right shape, anyway! :)

I also noted this at 3900:

3900 RANDOMIZE VAL(SEG$(L6$,F+1,1))

I'm not sure how the compiler generates random sequences, but this suggests to me some of the bumpy bits may be slightly different, but we're probably okay as long as they are /consistent/ every run.

?  Many thanks!

It seem now to work correctly, so compiled V1.1 of Atlantis is here. ?

[GAME] Atlantis V1.1 (1984)(Intrigue Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip

• Like 5

Now that makes the game playable! Thanks! I hadn't tried the first version you made to compare but was bored to sleep by the XB conversion I produced. I timed that one at over a minute just to to launch the game and another 3.5 minutes swim across three screens. Plenty of speed now to add more features to the game. :D

• Like 2

A new update to Atlantis (now v1.2).

Thanks to @ti99iuc for the tests and for finding a crash moving into a screen. The crash was caused by a memory full, so I had to do some change to gain some memory. In particular, the initial screen was removed and the game is now splitted into separate joystick and keyboard versions. Moreover, now the oxygen is decreasing slowly.

The screens have some differences from the BASIC version, however this is not impacting the gameplay and the speed boost is worth the use of this compiled version. The "purists" can continue to use the slow original version. ;-)

A couple of new compiled games:

Battleship. A classical game.

Breakpoint. A simple Arkanoid clone. The speed of the compiled version has now added some challenges to this game.

[GAME] Atlantis V1.2 (1984)(Intrigue Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Battleship (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Breakpoint (1984)(Bearb)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.2.9.xlsx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, tmop69 said:

A new update to Atlantis (now v1.2).

Thanks to @ti99iuc for the tests and for finding a crash moving into a screen. The crash was caused by a memory full, so I had to do some change to gain some memory. In particular, the initial screen was removed and the game is now splitted into separate joystick and keyboard versions. Moreover, now the oxygen is decreasing slowly.

If the compiled program is running out of memory, you have the option to put the runtime routines in low memory. This gains almost 8K of code.

If the XB source program is running out of memory, you can split the XB program into 2 parts.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

If the compiled program is running out of memory, you have the option to put the runtime routines in low memory. This gains almost 8K of code.

If the XB source program is running out of memory, you can split the XB program into 2 parts.

I've tried placing the runtime routines in low memory, however using ModuleCreator V2.0 to generate the SSS I'm getting an error on linker:

*L99 v1.6.3

*** Cartridge LO-MEM out of bounds <start=2160, end=4000>

Any advice (apart from using MakeCart)?

I've never used any of the module creators. I understand that these modules have the RAM contents stored in the cartridge and then copy it back to RAM when needed. It seems like any tool for creating a module should be able to handle low memory as well. What is the objection to MakeCart, since it sounds like it works for this?

Atlantis is update to V1.3 with the runtime routines in low memory, so the original title is back. The SSS is in GROM format.

New games:

- Goblin: another classic game! Added joystick support and speed selection;

- Breakout: an Arkanoid clone, with various options for the game;

- BigMur: another, simple, Breakout clone from France.

[GAME] Atlantis V1.3 (1984)(Intrigue Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Goblin (1984)(D. Groff)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Breakout (1984)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] BigMur (198x)(Picke)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.3.0.xlsx

• Like 7

One modern-ish XB games program to consider for compilation - I don't think we have an FG99 version yet- by hloberg.

MILLE BORNES is a card game I play with cards and with dos and windows.  This is a nice TI99/4a version in XB. Speed isn't a problem but it would be nice to have it available on FG99!!   I like the game anyway....

The game is at

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=671080

cheers

s

• Like 3

Some compiled games for the new week:

- Camelot. I recompiled this classic game, since the other version published on this forum hasn't all the needed delays for the gfx anims. English and Italian version in the SSS;

- Mille Bornes. The text only card game. @blackbox please, test it and let me know if all is ok, since I've not read the long manual and played it. Just checked the code and applied the appropriate fixes to have it compiled;

- Poc Man. A German, original variation, of the Pac Man game.

- Pac Man Game. Another Pac Man clone. You can select the number of ghosts.

Have fun. ? 

[GAME] Challenge of Camelot (1984)(Gary Garrett)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Mille Bornes (2019)(Hloberg)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] PocMan (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Pac-Man Game (1984)(HC)[Compiled by TMOP]_8.zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.3.1.xlsx

• Like 7

@tmop69 Curious about how you accomplish your delays in the compiled games.

When I massaged my games for compiling I increased the calls to user input routines to bulk up the delays.  This under the objective of further decreasing input lag over the speed increase already incurred from compiling, with appropriate release detection to make sure a single key press is not detected beyond the player's intention.

4 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

@tmop69 Curious about how you accomplish your delays in the compiled games.

When I massaged my games for compiling I increased the calls to user input routines to bulk up the delays.  This under the objective of further decreasing input lag over the speed increase already incurred from compiling, with appropriate release detection to make sure a single key press is not detected beyond the player's intention.

I've used a CALL LINK("SYNC") from XB256 for the input. In this case 3 frames were enough. For gfx it depends on the game.

• Like 2

Many thanks TMOP, I have been playing the compiled version this morning and it plays just like the XB version but a little faster!

Players should note- when the computer has very rapidly made his move you can see the card he used with the "last card played" field.   Caps lock should be ON when answering Y/N regarding discards.
At one point you are told "Press any key to continue"- if you press the ENTER key for ANY, no problem--- the flashing cursor indicates ENTER is required.

A great Canadian game and a delight to be able to play it on "the real iron".

Now if only I could work out how to get that other Canadian game Toc/Tock into a computer program- it is LUDO played with playing cards instead of dice- a little like "Sorry!" but older.

Thanks!   s

On 12/14/2020 at 12:23 PM, blackbox said:

Players should note- when the computer has very rapidly made his move you can see the card he used with the "last card played" field.   Caps lock should be ON when answering Y/N regarding discards.
At one point you are told "Press any key to continue"- if you press the ENTER key for ANY, no problem--- the flashing cursor indicates ENTER is required.

Not sure if this is experienced also in the XB version or only in the compiled one due to increased speed. Just let me know if some delays have to be added.

When I compile some normal XB games I have a little routine that is great for a delay in keyboard input / joystick input.  Here's an example;

Normally we would write this for joystick input with fire.
1000 CALL JOYST(1,JY,JX) :: CALL KEY(1,K,S) :: GOSUB 4000 ! gosub to game updates whilst waiting for joystick
1010 IF JY=-4 AND K=18 THEN 1100 ELSE IF JY=4 AND K=18 THEN 1200
1020 IF JY=-4 THEN 1150 ELSE IF JY=4 THEN 1250
1030 IF K=18 THEN 1300

With the compiler in mind, we would like a small delay? So I would write this
900 T1 = 0
1000 CALL JOYST(1,JY,JX) :: CALL KEY(1,K,S) :: GOSUB 4000 :: T1=T1+1 :: IF T1>8 THEN 1005 ELSE 1000
1005 T1 = 0
1010 IF JY=-4 AND K=18 THEN 1100 ELSE ...... blah blah blah, same as above example

This allows us a small delay that does not impede on the rest of the game (in this case because it goes to game updates instead of letting the user use the keyboard / stick until T1 reaches 8.  Don't forget to put T1 back to nill else it'll never let you use the keyboard again!)

I hope this could be of use to anyone.  To note, it might only be useful to either me, or others , that code in this particular way, having a gosub to a routine that updates the game whilst waiting for the keyboard.  

It's Christmas Eve, so it's time for the compiled game #130! ? 

Tutanchamon's Tomb, it's a nice platform that has gained a lot after being compiled. It's now fluid and fun to play.

There are 4 screens. The game version that is on the wild has a gfx glitch on screen 2, some other on screen 3. Screen 4 was totally broken (unplayable!).

With the support of @ti99iuc  we fixed and tested all the levels. A speed selection was added at the beginning (1 is easy) to add longevity. Use joystick to move (fire will bring you back at the top of the floor in a safe position).
You can return to previous screen in case some of the doors/keys are in a unreachable position (they are generated in a pseudo-random way).

If someone has a clean version of the game (or has the original magazine), please contact me, so we can have the original screen 4.

Merry Christmas! ?

[GAME] Tutanchamons Tomb (1986)(Remco Polman)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.3.2.xlsx

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

New compiled games to start the New Year with the TI99:

- BreakOutJS, break the wall;
- Dracula, a Cars&Carcasses clone;
- Adventure, a text adventure;
- 3D Road Race, car racing game;
- Dive Bomber, a clone of Bombs on NY;
- Knight's Tour, move the knight on the board;
- Attaque sur la Ville, a strategy game;
- Gloster, block the monsters;
- PilzWurm, a Centipede clone;
- Zeichendefiniren, another Breakout clone;
- Schlange Ei, a Snake clone;
- Goldsuche, find gold;
- Motocross, drive in a circuit;
- Bridge Guard, defend the bridge;
- The Zombie Horde Galore, avoid the zombies;
- The Eaters, another PacMan clone;
- Don't Fence Me In, a Tron clone (1 or 2 players).

Happy New Year! ? 

[GAME] 3D Road Race (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Adventure (1983)(Sceptre Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Attaque Sur La Ville (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] BreakOutJS (198x)(Burghardt Knedel)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Bridge Guard (1982)(Mark Smetana)[Compiled by TMOP.zip [GAME] Dive Bomber (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Dont Fences Me In (198x)(Arcade Action Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Dracula (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Gloster (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Goldsuche (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Knights Tour (198x)(Curt Garcia)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Motocross (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] PilzWurm (1983)(Juergen Hoppstaedter)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Schlange Ei (198x)(Klaus Vidoni)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] The Eaters (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] The Zombie Horde Galore (1982)(Arcade Action Software)[Compiled by TMOP].zip [GAME] Zeichendefiniren (198x)(Unknown)[Compiled by TMOP].zip TI99_Compiled_Games_List_V1.3.3.xlsx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjnurney said:

hi all

are these .bin files useable with the flashrom?

thanks

You can use them on the real TI99 with the FinalGROM/FinalROM and the 32K expansion. Just rename the file with 8+3 chars schema. You need to specify the suffix "_8.bin" to instruct the FinalGROM/FinalROM on the correct format.

22 minutes ago, mjnurney said:

thanks i only have the flash rom at the moment...

I don't know/have the Flashrom, anyway these .bin files can be burned into a real SSS cart, so I assume that this can be done also on your cart, but it's better to have the confirm from the gurus on the forum. The +32K memory is anyway needed to run the games.

They should work fine in the FlashROM (it isn't called the FinalROM), as long as you follow the naming convention @tmop69 identified to get your FinalROM to recognize it. Note that you must also have a 32K memory expansion of some type for it to work though, as the loader lobs it into 32K space and executes it there.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

They should work fine in the FlashROM (it isn't called the FinalROM), as long as you follow the naming convention @tmop69 identified to get your FinalROM to recognize it. Note that you must also have a 32K memory expansion of some type for it to work though, as the loader lobs it into 32K space and executes it there.

? FlashROM is the ancestor of FinalGROM, that I was thinking it was called FinalROM...

Anyway, all the games are working on it, since are in 8.bin format that is supported. Only Atlantis V1.3 is in .G format and works only with FinalGROM, since it needs extra space so the runtime has to be placed in the 8K memory (ModuleCreator failed to convert it, so I used Makecart). If you want to run it, use the previous V1.2 that has the title screen removed to gain some extra space to avoid runtime errors in some screens.