BITMAP "00000000"

BITMAP "00000000"

BITMAP "00011000"

BITMAP "00100100"

BITMAP "00100100"

BITMAP "00011000"

BITMAP "00000000"

BITMAP "00000000"

It is easier to introduce bitmaps as readable source code.

• Like 2

If you're using the command line tool intycolor to convert a BMP to image data, it has an option to output BITMAP statements instead of DATA. Like Nanochess wrote, BITMAP is more readable/editable but if your graphics are finished, DATA is a bit more compact in the code. The DATA statements are 16-bit with every two bitmap rows swapped, i.e. row2*256 + row1, row4*256 + row3, row6*256 + row5, row8*256 + row7. Unless you manually convert from one to another, you don't have to worry about this.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, carlsson said:

If you're using the command line tool intycolor to convert a BMP to image data, it has an option to output BITMAP statements instead of DATA. Like Nanochess wrote, BITMAP is more readable/editable but if your graphics are finished, DATA is a bit more compact in the code. The DATA statements are 16-bit with every two bitmap rows swapped, i.e. row2*256 + row1, row4*256 + row3, row6*256 + row5, row8*256 + row7. Unless you manually convert from one to another, you don't have to worry about this.

I've got Intycolor, how do I run it?

1 minute ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

I've got Intycolor, how do I run it?

IntyColor gets a BMP file (24-bits) as input and generates IntyBASIC bitmap data and card data for displaying.

For example, if you have a screen of 160x96 pixels named "Beauty.bmp" then you would do this:

intycolor -b beauty.bmp beauty.bas beauty

It would generate a compilable BAS file using "beauty" as the label for data (useful when you have multiple images)

If you only need the data (because you are including the image data into another program) then you add the option -n for no stub.

• Like 1

One suggestion for nanochess is to have all the text that can be invoked by typing only Intycolor.exe in a command line into a new notepad to refer to. I'm not sure many people are aware of typing Intycolor in command prompt will give a big list of command.  And clicking on it in windows will dismiss it immediately, maybe insert something like press any key to continue message.  I usually boot up Run and type or select the pretyped command of IntyCOLOR, usually it dismiss it when it done and I have a new .bas file. It may help people figure IntyCOLOR out better.  I think having a seperate manual for Intycolor would be good.  It is a great program, and I use it to transfer tilesets to Intycolor. 

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

One suggestion for nanochess is to have all the text that can be invoked by typing only Intycolor.exe in a command line into a new notepad to refer to. I'm not sure many people are aware of typing Intycolor in command prompt will give a big list of command.  And clicking on it in windows will dismiss it immediately, maybe insert something like press any key to continue message.  I usually boot up Run and type or select the pretyped command of IntyCOLOR, usually it dismiss it when it done and I have a new .bas file. It may help people figure IntyCOLOR out better.  I think having a seperate manual for Intycolor would be good.  It is a great program, and I use it to transfer tilesets to Intycolor. 

I'd agree, the command line is a lost tool/concept. I have a staff of 10 developers, any of them under 45 have no clue what it is. I do all my Inty Dev work with the command line and batch files (and judicial use of PAUSE ;-) )

• Like 1

A bit off-topic, but I dunno. I saw a survey the other day that indicated that up to 20% of all software developers prefer to use the vim editor. Of course Visual Studio was #1 but behind it other choices such as Sublime and Atom were neck to neck with vim. Apparently it was a multiple choice survey so the total exceeded 100%. My favorite editor, Emacs was down at 5%.