IGNORED

Lynx Prototypes Found: Rolling Thunder, GeoDuel, Vindicators, MORE

MacRorie

On 12/26/2021 at 12:11 PM, PFG 9000 said:

Hi MacRorie.  Any updates on this?

Sorry, thought I replied to this, but I do not see the reply.  I have slowly started to put download links on the website.  They are in the description.  I will keep adding to them as I get time.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 6:09 PM, MacRorie said:

Sorry, thought I replied to this, but I do not see the reply.  I have slowly started to put download links on the website.  They are in the description.  I will keep adding to them as I get time.

The only Lynx page with download links (pretty sure I went through all of them) is Battlezone Demo.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 6:09 PM, MacRorie said:

The only ones that are listed gives a 404 error when you click on the link.

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I get the distinct feeling that it is not technical problems that are holding up the release, but the desire to squeeze more juice from the orange :)

Y'know, this is why we can't have nice things.  I told myself I was not going to respond to this because no good would be done by responding, but it sticks in my craw.

{rant deleted}

However, as it happens, on Friday, I had contacted AtariGamer.com to have them host every single one of the files.  They agreed to do so.  When they are ready to release them, there will be a post here.

Enjoy yourself.

Edited by MacRorie
Apology accepted.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I bought the prototypes I was interested in and have little interest in the rest. I am not invested either way in what happens with them.

I just didn't think people's suggestions for how you might distribute the files, ten months after you said you would release them, were really helpful, and indeed I was right as you already found a way. I'm sorry for upsetting you.

Are they going to be downloadable and playable on real hardware, or just in the online emulator?

• Like 1

Well people can get bogged down and sometimes don't have the time to follow through, I'm guilty of that myself.  Wasn't very nice to question his motives though.  I hope they are downloadable so we use try them on the GameDrive.  Atari Gamer is a fantastic Lynx site, maybe the best, so it's a great home for the games.  FWIW, the only playable-only roms they have are retail games.

• Like 1

I'll have the ROMs playable on the website soon - probably need a couple of weeks to sort through it all. We're not planning to make them downloadable just yet but you'll be able to play them in our web browser based Lynx emulator.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Igor said:

I'll have the ROMs playable on the website soon - probably need a couple of weeks to sort through it all. We're not planning to make them downloadable just yet but you'll be able to play them in our web browser based Lynx emulator.

Just now, 4ever2600 said:

Sweeeet... does that include Friendly? ?

That might be a bad idea . . . just saying ;-)

I was curious about this ROM as I've not seen it before, loading it as is didn't work so I converted it to a 512K LYX file and that got it working. I'm of two minds about this, it is part of the dump but it deff isn't family friendly (but then I never claimed that the site or the content is). I do like how the sound is synchronised with the video though ?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Igor said:

I was curious about this ROM as I've not seen it before, loading it as is didn't work so I converted it to a 512K LYX file and that got it working. I'm of two minds about this, it is part of the dump but it deff isn't family friendly (but then I never claimed that the site or the content is). I do like how the sound is synchronised with the video though ?

All of those ROMs have to be converted. They are raw binaries.

EDIT: okay, most of them. Some of the completed games can be loaded once you put a header on them. 

also, IIRC, the buttons will speed up or slow down the “action.”

Edited by MacRorie
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Igor said:

I'm of two minds about this, it is part of the dump but it deff isn't family friendly (but then I never claimed that the site or the content is). I do like how the sound is synchronised with the video though ?

Well, I tried to put just a *brief* cut on my YouTube channel and someone reported it within a day. Yours is a private site, but, then again, people are …. people. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

Well, I tried to put just a *brief* cut on my YouTube channel and someone reported it within a day. Yours is a private site, but, then again, people are …. people. 

I mean they can report it to...me? I would also say this counts as art and historical preservation. Is there a back story to this particular ROM do you know?

18 hours ago, Igor said:

I mean they can report it to...me? I would also say this counts as art and historical preservation. Is there a back story to this particular ROM do you know?

Yeah, I get it.  But, people being what they are . . . . 

All I was told was that it was a tongue-in-cheek test of the scaling abilities done by the person who gave them to me.  This person was a member of the original team.

Edited by MacRorie
Auto-correct is stupid
  • Like 1

Maybe I'll put a warning on it, covers some of the bases at least! What will be funny is to take a photo of it running on a modern LCD modded Lynx and put that on social media (censored of course) - bet that will generate a bunch of discussion ?

• 7 months later...
On 12/31/2021 at 12:09 AM, MacRorie said:
On 12/26/2021 at 9:11 PM, PFG 9000 said:

Hi MacRorie.  Any updates on this?

OK, polite bump.

Just now, miker said:

OK, polite bump.

These are all in the process of being released at Igor's AtariGamer site.  He has been diligently working on it, but with the arrival of his new baby, I am thinking we should cut him a little lack. ;-)

18 hours ago, MacRorie said:

These are all in the process of being released at Igor's AtariGamer site.  He has been diligently working on it, but with the arrival of his new baby, I am thinking we should cut him a little lack. ;-)

Can you post a link to this?