IGNORED

Dedicating an unused RPi 3 as a TRS-80 emulator.

Omega-TI

I don't have a TRS-80 Model III case to put a Raspberry Pi in, but I have a TRS-80 emulator running the spare otherwise unused RPi 3B+ shown below, but I also want to run the COMPOSITE monitor shown in the image with it, as I need to task the HDMI monitor for other purposes.  Does anyone know if the composite screen works by default when the appropriate cable is plugged in?  Before I go to the trouble of making special replica badging, and buying the cable, I'd like to know in advance if it'll work.  

2062180819_PotentialModelIII.thumb.JPG.6feb1a7d4d3c9886db182d0822311d77.JPG

Also, does anyone know of a good source for the composite video cable?

1 hour ago, youxia said:

For the cable, you need to buy a dedicated one. Every major RPi seller should have them, they cost a few bucks. Zune cables also work but are more expensive.

For the config, change the sdtv options: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

Thanks, this might do the trick.  I had already paid and received the emulator when @retrofan11 posted the message about the guy making money off of another guys work.  I'm not knowledgeable "under the floorboards" with Linux/Raspian and am quite unsure how this emulator is even setup.  All I know is that it boots directly into the emulator.   I am however quite good at following step by step instructions.  Anyone willing to run this FREE emulator on a RPi 3 to see if it works in composite, and if so, the steps you took?

If I can get confirmation, I'll buy the Zune cables and always have a "Mini TRS-80" on hand to play with.  I'm running out of room in the den, but I can still justify a cute little setup like this, and I'm probably not the only one. ?

Since the TRS-80 is B&W, things should look decent on this small monitor.

• 1 month later...

I had a chance to today to play with a 4 pole video cable today.  Although it was not the correct one, I did get video when the plug was halfway inserted, so I confirmed the composite works as-is.  So I've decided to delve a little bit further into the dedicated TRS-80 emulator project.

Since I'm getting forgetful, I figured I better label the three most important keys, because I'll probably not be using this every day.

I might have to label the Home key at some point as well because that usually starts some of the games.

Keys.thumb.PNG.2e85682a0fc45cc02166aaaa47111ac6.PNG

The composite cables are cheap!  So I'll play around with this for a while, but eventually I'll hook it up via HDMI and put the beige TI on the composite side of the larger (shared) monitor

CHEAP.thumb.JPG.e57ae58872c9a5bf61cd3e10d8e26f31.JPG

That's it for sticking my toes in back in the TRS-80 realm.  It was kinda fun!