IGNORED

Announcing - Gravitic Mines

CyranoJ

On 9/7/2021 at 11:25 AM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Absolutely love the demo! I’ve downloaded and played through it. I’m now even more hyped than ever for the full release of this game my money is ready to go lol. What a game it is visually stunning for a Jag game and the controls are spot on, that was me playing using the Dpad on the pro controller. I’ll be adding rotary support to one of my spare controllers in the coming days just for this game. 

Thank you so much for the great feedback! Just so happy you love our work.

Anyone else loving what we did, please spread the word about the game! ? 

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 8:03 PM, agradeneu said:

Its a shame you got frustrated quickly, maybe I can help out.

I hardly can believe you died every 2 minutes in training mission 1? For beginners I recommend you to start with the training 1, 2 and 3, to get the feel with the gravity and controls.

Don't play with a rotary, it will make the game 2x harder. If you have a Pro, use that. 

Use the C button, hold it to rotate your ship into perfect landing position automatically, then use a little bit of side thrusters to make a save landing. Auto rotating makes your life a lot easier.:-)

It's not that hard if you use the control options we included.  I consider myself an average gamer, however, gravity games can be very hard to get used to for some.

Another trick is to use the thrusters very gently and the gravity/inertia to your advantage - let it sail!

A lot of people are probably thrusting too hard and loose control very quickly.

The controls are not your twitchy arcade style shmup, don't try to force it, let it flow.

Thank you for your help. It's a little better by following your instructions. I was able to pass the first 2 trainings but however it remains too difficult for me. The worst thing is when you have to maneuver and shoot at the same time. Sorry but I don't have any fun... Any chance you add a hide mode where you can disable gravity for bad gravity gamers like me? ?

Edited by RadiATIon

2 hours ago, RadiATIon said:

Thank you for your help. It's a little better by following your instructions. I was able to pass the first 2 trainings but however it remains too difficult for me. The worst thing is when you have to maneuver and shoot at the same time. Sorry but I don't have any fun... Any chance you add a hide mode where you can disable gravity for bad gravity gamers like me? ?

I think landing would be harder with zero gravity. Also I doubt it would be any more fun for you. Maybe the game is just not up your alley.

I remember some kiddos getting frustrated with constantly jumping into death in Donkey Kong Country. But it would not make any sense to take out the jumps, to please everyone.

So my advice would be to move on or............

stick to it and put some practice into it.;-)

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

Part of the fun of this type of game is learning how to fly. I really enjoy just flying around and practicing different things(landing, shooting, hoovering, etc.)  I sometimes do a level over and over because it fun to learn how to control the ship. The controls in this game are right and tight....put in the time, and you should have total control of the ship.

• Like 3

I was able to put a little time into the demo last night.  I also struggled with the controls, not because they're unresponsive or anything, but just because I've never played a gravity-based game before.  ...except maybe Flappy Bird, lol.  The controls are actually nicely tuned and perfectly responsive.

I kept crashing into walls because I accelerated too much, or because I couldn't get my brain/fingers to hit the correct thruster soon enough, or something similar.  But then I had a glorious moment where it clicked, and I was able to cruise sideways through some uneven terrain without crashing.  I still have a long way to go, but it was nice to see some progress.  I was eventually able to complete both missions, but I would say I was dying more like every 10-15 seconds for my first few minutes with the game.

It makes me think of the original Silent Hill and Resident Evil games.  The first few times I played those games, I struggled with those tank controls to the point where it nearly ruined the game.  But eventually it clicked and I was able to control my character without thinking.  And then I realized how effective that control scheme was!  Now when I play a game that let's me choose between tank controls and more modern analog controls (like Silent Hill 2), I always go with the tank controls.

I'm not worried.  I'll get the controls down, and I'll enjoy the game.  Nice work, Reboot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PFG 9000 said:

I'm not worried.  I'll get the controls down, and I'll enjoy the game.  Nice work, Reboot.

Thank you! Much appreciated, and glad you are enjoying it.

The additional training missions in the full version should help iron out any further problems with pilot skills :)

2 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

But then I had a glorious moment where it clicked, and I was able to cruise sideways through some uneven terrain without crashing. 

That's one of the great things about the mechanics in this game.  It may seem a bit difficult at first, but when you get in 'the zone' of controlling the ship it's sublime :)   <use your Reaction Thrusters and a pro controller : ) >

• Like 5

I'll second what everyone else said about taking time to practice how to fly the ship. Once you get it down, you'll find those parts that were extremely tricky at first to be a piece of cake.

Having said that though...the parts where large objects provide their own gravity can go die in a fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

And if you still have troubles with the controls, don't worry.

This is a gravity game, it takes a while to master the controls in these kind of games. I managed the finnish the first level, but never the second in this game, nor in Thrust for the Vectrex. Lunar Lander (the first gravity game) is even more difficult. I do appreciate the efforts to bring such a difficult genere to the Jaguar, but I will surely need some more practise (e.g. I wil now hit the trainining levels)...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

And if you still have troubles with the controls, don't worry. I'm sure CyranoJ will soon release a steering patch, just like he did for Checkered Flag.

*ducks*

Hopefully a 60fps patch for Chequred Flag as well :D

Edited by str0m
a
  • Like 1

The main key for me was to not rush. Don't fire engines on all cylinders and expect to stay in control. Take your time, sit back relax, get a feel for the controls, learn to drift, let gravity do the work for you, use the pro pad L/R thrusters and the auto-centre button to straighten up. 

There's nothing quite like drifting sideways through a tunnel just blipping the engines to keep altitude.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, phoboz said:

This is a gravity game, it takes a while to master the controls in these kind of games. I managed the finnish the first level, but never the second in this game, nor in Thrust for the Vectrex. Lunar Lander (the first gravity game) is even more difficult. I do appreciate the efforts to bring such a difficult genere to the Jaguar, but I will surely need some more practise (e.g. I wil now hit the trainining levels)...

What about Gravitar for 2600?

43 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

Looks absolutely gorgeous ?

So much care and attention to detail has clearly gone into this, huge and heartfelt congratulations to all involved. 

The Jaguar will soon be getting it's own Thrust/Oids /Subterrania

You lucky, lucky bast#ards ?

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 9:23 PM, CyranoJ said:

I would absolutely love to release ROMs that will work on emulators, but every time I do such things unscrupilous 'people' start making carts and selling them on ebay/etsy/etc. 

Might not be worth your time, but wouldn't it be relatively easy to add a bit of extra functionality in VJ that the game could check for like whatever you're presumably doing for Skunk and GD?

3 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Might not be worth your time, but wouldn't it be relatively easy to add a bit of extra functionality in VJ that the game could check for like whatever you're presumably doing for Skunk and GD?

Let's say that there are already ways to detect emulators without the need for patches, and CJ is aware of them ;)

Edited by Zerosquare