IGNORED

ENTRY 2020: MR. TURTLE

MR. TURTLE has to collect 5 pearls.

Each level he will have to run, jump, swim & fight through obstacles to attempt and collect each of the 5 pearls and win financial independence for life.

Normally called freedom 55 he's a bit lazy so it'll just be freedom 5 as he gets free food anyways and carries his home on his back.

He can defeat enemies by throwing tridents at them to ward them off or disintegrate them.

He can go into turtle shell mode and be safe from attack but cannot swim again til he comes out of it.

Will drown if he stays underwater too long so he must watch his air meter.

Collected pearls will be displayed as letters of the word PEARL on the screen top left.

obstacles include , drowning, spikes and lava.

currently only 2 distinct enemies. Will be adding some more. 

each of the 5 proposed levels will look unique and have a unique platform designs.

I appreciate this contest being held and this has given me motivation to finsih this project. Here is a video of the current work in progress.

Edited by digress
  • Like 11

From Wikipedia:

Tootsie Pops are known for the catch phrase "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?". The phrase was first introduced in an animated commercial which debuted on U.S. television in 1970. In the original television ad, a questioning boy poses the question to a cow, a fox, a

turtle and an owl. Each one of the first three animals tells the boy to ask someone else, explaining that they would bite a Tootsie Pop every time they lick one. Eventually, he asks the owl, who starts licking it, but bites into the lollipop after only three licks, much to the chagrin of the boy, who gets the empty stick back. The commercial ends the same way, with various flavored Tootsie Pops unwrapped and being "licked away" until being crunched in the center.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, digress said:

MR. TURTLE has to collect 5 pearls.

I appreciate this contest being held and this has given me motivation to finsih this project. Here is a video of the current work in progress.

I find the AIR snap back distracting.

Instead of redrawing the Air the way you do to keep it centred, have you tried just keeping track of where it is along the 20 cards and updating the bar (accounting for wraparound)

Like Super Cobra does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

From Wikipedia:

I've seen that commercial but I only remember the owl.

46 minutes ago, Tarzilla said:

I find the AIR snap back distracting.

Instead of redrawing the Air the way you do to keep it centred, have you tried just keeping track of where it is along the 20 cards and updating the bar (accounting for wraparound)

I shall try to implement it this way. It does look better .

Welcome to the party.  You can probably use 1 MOB to display the air meter.  Pearl, wouldn't be too important and can be brought up upon pause.  I use this to display bar of fuel. 

air00:
BITMAP "X......X"
BITMAP "X......X"
air01:
BITMAP "X......X"
BITMAP "X......X"
air02:
BITMAP "X......X"
BITMAP "X......X"
air03:
BITMAP "X......X"
BITMAP "X......X"
air04:
BITMAP "X......X"
BITMAP "X......X"
air05:
BITMAP "X......X"
BITMAP "X......X"
air06:
BITMAP "X......X"
BITMAP "X......X"
air07:
BITMAP "X......X"
BITMAP "X......X"
air08:
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"
BITMAP "XxXxxXXX"

BITMAP statement only be taken by pairs, so this is what I come up with.

• Like 1

Thanks. It's fun to compete a little and I'll probably make a better project because of it and the useful feedback I get.

So the AIR bar I got figured out. I just tracked where there air bar is depending on scroll.

I made a small 20 point table which translates where each character should be depending on which scroll column i'm currently at . Then I can 1 bar character at a time draw it even if it wraps around.

Like suggested I only update the '()PEARL AIR' once at level start as it never changes til you get to another pearl.

The biggest problem I was having was the flicker when I reset the scroll of all the MOB's. So I blink them all off just before the scroll reset and put them back immediately in the new place and it looks good.

I take out the hornpipe for now and throw something else in there. 

My suggestion would be not to get caught up on a rabbit hole around this feature.

In Gooninuff I just bring up a health bar when the protagonist gets injured, not all the time. I also use a MOB to show it, which facilitates things and saves some real estate.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 11:18 AM, Zendocon said:

What, no references to Tootsie Pops?

On 9/30/2020 at 1:55 PM, digress said:

Hmmm, that went over my head. I'm not sure what you mean?

On 9/30/2020 at 2:55 PM, Tarzilla said:

I didn't get the tootsie roll reference either.

On 9/30/2020 at 3:49 PM, digress said:

I've seen that commercial but I only remember the owl.

Mr Turtle:

• Like 3

Of all the animals, I thought Mr. Turtle was most significant for two reasons.  He's clearly elderly and seems to have lost his teeth, and yet he still can't make it to the Tootsie Roll center without biting.  Second, I had understood as a kid when I saw the commercial that turtles are supposed to live to be 300 years old, so in that many years he tried and failed to get to the center without biting.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:55 PM, Tarzilla said:

digress knows the true kiddie pool origins of Mr Turtle ;-)

I didn't get the tootsie roll reference either.

I think it’s mostly due to the “mr” title the boy gives each of the animals including the turtle that is nearly exclusive to that commercial (in American pop culture, at least)

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's starting to be fun rather than just frustrating. I finally got enough working smoothly .

Now I'm adding some more enemies/obstacles. 

Bit too easy right now.

I can't figure out how to link a youtube video anymore on the new system. Anyone know? The below is upoaded directly. Not very practical.

Edited by digress

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a practice rom. I had to correct some code running over into the next area but it works now.

Just 2 short levels so far

left right move left right

down go into shell mode to protect yourself from bite / strike of  fish/birds/shark

button 1 jump if on ground

up swim up if in water

button 2 shoot pitchfork

fish can be eaten if you use head only but will hurt you to the body.

you can drown if you air runs out. swim up to surface to refill air

grab the pearl at the far ight of each level. eventually there will be 5 levels.

turtlepsg.rom

• Like 3