IGNORED

Iconic sound effects for the original Atari 800?

Guy1

Any of the effects from Centipede (especially the dancing spider tune) just scream 'Atari' to me. They are identical to the arcade machine.

The sound effects from Star Raiders (photons firing, the little warning tune when a starbase is surrounded or destroyed) are very identifiable at the Atari 800.

Edited by adam242
  • Like 1

The animated intro version is much better (different music)

Some of the poly noise sound is fairly unique.  Plenty around.  Koronis Rift, Spelunker (elevator and other), Whirlinerd.

The music from some Synapse games.

The shared sound effects from the Datasoft platform adventures.

Not sure if it is Atari 800 specific, but when thinking of the Atari 8 bit, I always think of the intro to The Tail of Beta Lyrae. There is a sound which in my mind sounds like a sea mine dropped from the sky and hitting the ground and exploding in every direction. Jeez it is hard to explain sound effects.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

First of it's any sound generated by the internal speaker, that's very unique.

I guess it also depends on what you were exposed to in the early days before the XL range.

For the Pokey sounds, I vaguely remember an early tune was put out, think it was called something like "Amorada".

8 hours ago, snicklin said:

I always think of the intro to The Tail of Beta Lyrae.

I was thinking along the same line.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Guy1 said:

Hey! It looks like the notes played in the Atari XL/XE Audio-Visual Self Test are the start of Spelunker (1983).

Oh, that piece is Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.  Dates from about 1874.

In addition to the above suggestions, I'll also add these two:

Pretty much everything (including the music) from Moon Patrol:

And also in the 'everything plus the music' category, Gyruss:

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

Actually, never mind what I just posted. Most iconic sound of the 800 not generated by the internal speaker: the "Seagull" type-in programme in the owner's manual. First thing I ever typed in, and I was mesmerized by the seagull's cries and the sounds of the "waves" in the background. Cool stuff for an eleven year-old.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Actually, never mind what I just posted. Most iconic sound of the 800 not generated by the internal speaker: the "Seagull" type-in programme in the owner's manual. First thing I ever typed in, and I was mesmerized by the seagull's cries and the sounds of the "waves" in the background. Cool stuff for an eleven year-old.

I typed this in also - anyone know of the disk that has this basic demo?

So I am going to go out in left field here, but how about a recording of the closing of the cart door on an 800? Or the sounds of an 810 or 1050 mech both when you first put a disk in, and maybe as it's reading data. All these game sound suggestions are good, but some physical sounds are part of the experience for me.

• Like 2