IGNORED

The Official Atari Age Secret Santa 2020 thread

CaptainBreakout

So... I suggested that before work today... we finally open the package.

Kids were excited. I tried to get a pic of them jumping around.  That was difficult.  I think the mood is best captured in this action shot.

2112280752_runningaround.thumb.jpg.d25a0d2815a649da9474c749d9609284.jpg

I was a little concerned they would knock over the tree.  So I suggested we needed to open it, and to be calm since we're going to use a knife.  Of course my son wanted to do it. And therefore also my daughter did to. So that slowed them down enough to use my knife with some guidance.

692366368_openingcarefully.thumb.jpg.1a9ca501b6025bb999682f1ba22f569b.jpg

There was a lot of stuff in the top layer!  I had to say "Do NOT grab!" about a dozen times.

Anyways... this was one of the top items...

162904310_Notebookkit.jpg.35f694612e86fcbd1496a14343de0d5e.jpg

Great job Santa!   A craft kit for the kids that had nothing to do with video games.  That won major points with my wife.  NICE!

Also there were these...

1331347695_PirateCards.thumb.jpg.682c2a3ee70d2a0c8210b6ca3fcfc80f.jpg

A pirate-themed card game! 

(Nevermind the antique golden book -those are everywhere around the house right now.)

Neat!  I know a lot about pirates!  I like card games (old school MtG player over here)!

I tore open a pack, even though I was due to get in the car for work... and looked over a couple of cards.  First one I saw was "The Inquisitor".

Wasn't expecting that, come to think of it now. But does anyone? ;)

This is cool. There was a bunch more, but we decided that was enough for one morning.  Before I could get the box out of reach, the kids grabbing a new Hot Wheels Donkey Kong car and ran upstairs with it.

Couldn't get a picture of that.

Wow Santa!!!  This is a lot of fun!

Edited by CaptainBreakout
I also noticed, on its side, was an in-the-box 7800 Jinks! I don't own that, but I guess now I do! How does Santa know these things, seriously?
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I've been patiently waiting but tonight seemed like a great time to open my SS gift. Delicious candies (the kids are trying the sour wheels right now - they are sour!), a Giana Sisters keychain, A Secret Santa C64 cart, and a gift certificate (not shown) to the AtariAge store! I feel like I hit the Secret Santa jackpot!

IMG_5608.thumb.JPG.d3dbd1088f92e3612fc8172462222e81.JPGIMG_5609.thumb.JPG.c4e614ad3ce287dca678b8f84d31a487.JPG

I haven't played the Secret Santa game yet but it's a cart for the Commodore 64. I absolutely LOVE stuff like this! I am beyond excited to check it out. If we were doing a draft of gifts and I had first choice, this would have been it!

Thank you Santa! The past month has been rough for me. It was awesome to sit down with my gift and get lost in it for awhile. I am so excited to play the game!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Like 13

Holy Cow! I don't even know how to appropriately say thanks. Here's a picture of the game...

IMG_5613.thumb.JPG.87e778ed9a7aa378b07f32a5e1c71f2d.JPG

There are 34 presents on Santa's sleigh. Each time you hit one it disappears and you gain 1 point. If you knock all of the presents off the sleigh Santa will refill it and you can keep going. Secret Santa is a breakout-style of game. The sleigh is long so a big part of the difficulty is actually getting the ball above the blades since it will ricochet off them. I love that the paddle has my AtariAge name on it. My 14 year old pointed out that I should have chosen a much longer name lol.

We played for almost two hours alternating turns. I was really happy to break 100 (and took the picture below when I finally did) but then got into a groove and finished my last game with a score of 328.

IMG_5616.thumb.JPG.7d375df2e6d1ce88c0d07578f77e4909.JPG

This is beyond awesome. I love breakout style games. I got my first Atari for Christmas in 1980. My parents bought Breakout to go with it. I played it like crazy and it's the only game I remember my dad ever playing. Later I played Alleyway for the Gameboy a ton, Arkanoid for the NES a bunch and Stonix is one of my all-time favorite Intellivision homebrews (although I refer to games released today as boutique releases). SS 2020 is of course my new favorite :)

According to my family I live on AtariAge. I can't believe I've never seen this game before. Beyond awesome!

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, cvga said:

Holy Cow! I don't even know how to appropriately say thanks. Here's a picture of the game...

IMG_5613.thumb.JPG.87e778ed9a7aa378b07f32a5e1c71f2d.JPG

There are 34 presents on Santa's sleigh. Each time you hit one it disappears and you gain 1 point. If you knock all of the presents off the sleigh Santa will refill it and you can keep going. Secret Santa is a breakout-style of game. The sleigh is long so a big part of the difficulty is actually getting the ball above the blades since it will ricochet off them. I love that the paddle has my AtariAge name on it. My 14 year old pointed out that I should have chosen a much longer name lol.

We played for almost two hours alternating turns. I was really happy to break 100 (and took the picture below when I finally did) but then got into a groove and finished my last game with a score of 328.

IMG_5616.thumb.JPG.7d375df2e6d1ce88c0d07578f77e4909.JPG

This is beyond awesome. I love breakout style games. I got my first Atari for Christmas in 1980. My parents bought Breakout to go with it. I played it like crazy and it's the only game I remember my dad ever playing. Later I played Alleyway for the Gameboy a ton, Arkanoid for the NES a bunch and Stonix is one of my all-time favorite Intellivision homebrews (although I refer to games released today as boutique releases). SS 2020 is of course my new favorite :)

According to my family I live on AtariAge. I can't believe I've never seen this game before. Beyond awesome!

Well I know who your Secret Santa is! ? (No not me)

This is a great Secret Santa season! Keep the pics and observations coming! :)

EDIT: Commodore monitors are STILL awesome. 'Nuff said. :)

Edited by ClassicGMR
Yep
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cvga said:

I can't believe I've never seen this game before.

I believe it can be explained by the fact your copy is the only physical one, final assembly on November 16. Actually it started off with an older routine of mine for bouncing a ball, which I had not developed further. Then I decided I could flesh it out into a game. I agree that the sleigh perhaps is a bit on the long side, making it difficult to get the ball past it. While test playing, I got just above 100 points so over 300 is a feat.

Here is an unlisted demonstration video for those curious, which also explains some of the cryptic messages on the box.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

I believe it can be explained by the fact your copy is the only physical one, final assembly on November 16.

Some people knit sweaters, some people hand make cards, some people craft one of a kinds from Popsicle sticks... why not a hand-made, one of a kind game? ?

Pure awesome!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, carlsson said:

I believe it can be explained by the fact your copy is the only physical one, final assembly on November 16.

Wow. I don't even know what to say except Thank You again. Amazing!

11 hours ago, carlsson said:

I agree that the sleigh perhaps is a bit on the long side, making it difficult to get the ball past it.

Not too long, just long. Perfect for the challenge!

8 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

Some people knit sweaters, some people hand make cards, some people craft one of a kinds from Popsicle sticks... why not a hand-made, one of a kind game? ?

Pure awesome!

Agreed!

• Like 5

Ok, so it is the evening before Christmas Eve and time to open up my package as well. My Secret Santa was very generous and sent me a Genesis/Mega Drive Everdrive cart with 8 GB, a very nice looking Link t-shirt (at first I thought it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles due to being all green), two bags of quality chocolate and a very cool, fold-out greetings card that worked well as the image backdrop.

Thanks a lot, Santa! In particular the Everdrive will come very handy as it will let me explore a wider library of Mega Drive games than the dozen or so that I've already got.

secret_santa_2020_open.thumb.jpg.d289c64e3dce4c0dbc9b9950a824ec76.jpg

• Like 10

Man, across the board secret santas are killing it with gift ideas! I just received my package today but I'm going to wait until Christmas to open it.

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Thanks a lot, Santa! In particular the Everdrive will come very handy as it will let me explore a wider library of Mega Drive games than the dozen or so that I've already got.

If you haven't played it yet I recommend trying Devil Crash. Not only is it fun but the graphics are true works of art.

• Like 5

Thank you Secret Santa!!!! Your right, the homemade toffee is super addictive! The wife and I really enjoy it. Only a couple pieces left.Yummy! 

Awesome Xbox games to play while I'm on vacation next week...two open world RPG's to play, which one shall I to play first???? hhhmmmm

The Buckyballs are a neat little diversion. I keep them near the xbox to mess around with when games download updates.

Thanks again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! ?

gifts from AA SS 2020.jpg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, carlsson said:

Ok, so it is the evening before Christmas Eve and time to open up my package as well. My Secret Santa was very generous and sent me a Genesis/Mega Drive Everdrive cart with 8 GB, a very nice looking Link t-shirt (at first I thought it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles due to being all green), two bags of quality chocolate and a very cool, fold-out greetings card that worked well as the image backdrop.

secret_santa_2020_open.thumb.jpg.d289c64e3dce4c0dbc9b9950a824ec76.jpg

GhirarDelli and Lindor are -da bomb diddly omb-!!  And the Everdrive is just pure bliss.  Love emulation...but nothing beats having the entire library plus hacks available on real hardware. :)  Huge thumbs up, good stuff!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Curious Sofa said:

Love emulation...but nothing beats having the entire library plus hacks available on real hardware. :)

You just described my entire console/handheld collection from Atari 2600 through the PS2 and PS Vita. The more current consoles I haven’t hacked ... yet. ?

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, adamchevy said:

I wonder when the 2021 Atariage Secret Valentines thread will start?

60666aaa456bbb766c4e0b2ec90c7ea7.jpg

Wouldn't that be the "AtariAge Victory-A's Secret"? Like gaming victory... with love n lingerie?? ? I have waaay too much time and insomnia on my hands!! ?

Victoria-Secret-Logo.png

And on a serious note... Merry Christmas Eve! Santa's packing his sleigh for his trip 'round the world! :)

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, chicgamer said:

I finally got my Secret Santa unboxing video uploaded! Thanks again to my Secret Santa for your generosity!

Sonic shot glass! You gotta drink fast! ?

That was a great haul of stuff (that metal sign is awesome!).

@CaptainBreakout - very nice to send the bonus gift, as well! Really cool!

And of course, thanks for making the video! Good stuff!

• Like 6

Ok!! 10pm on Christmas Eve over here so time for me to release my inner kid and open all the gifts!! 

My Secret Santa was just AWESOME!!!! The great care in packaging every single item was just amazing (I regret I don't have that patience...) and made my small xmas tree look much more respectable :) :

1608813965156.thumb.jpg.dc091d85d95fc9654167b7bc5fd7a71c.jpg

Then all the gifts were just beautiful: 

IMG-20201224-WA0008.thumb.jpg.4ad7b136037fe5505ee840fd0a1a1ea7.jpg

The chocolate is truly excellent (it won't last long... ?), the mini and tiny arcades are exactly what I was looking for (can't find them over here!), I love the NES coasters and the Flashback games too, while the Lynx t-shirt, patch, button and sticker fill a void in my collection (I confess I had nothing Lynx related till now). Last, the Imagic 'Numb Thumb' patch and membership card were the cherry on the cake! ?

This was a truly amazing selection. Really, thanks a lot to my Secret Santa: the real Santa would be proud! ? 

Merry Christmas to all!!

Roberto

• Like 10