IGNORED

Who owns this Relief pitcher for the atari system 1 proto? Please release the rom!

Jack the gamer 3

Think of this situation in a different way. Asking for this rom (which you did do in the topic line) would be equivalent to sitting outside of GameStop and asking a complete stranger who just bought a game if you could borrow it and copy it before he took it home. Kinda rude. I learned here many years ago that this very thing (asking for a rom to be released) is considered rude in this community. It took me awhile to understand that but I get it now. Inquiring if the rom will be released is a bit more polite if done in the right way (not blasted with "please please please" or grovelling emojis).

Sometimes you just have to wait and that wait pays off. We finally got to see some great stuff around here like the Pink Panther, Charlie Brown, and Lord of the Rings. Other times there is just frustration. I would love to play the Gremlins arcade game but it's not being released. So be it. Maybe some day.

Now...

Not to throw gas on the fire, but could you please read what you write?

An elipsis is usually three dots not two.

"You're" means you are.

Capital letters start sentences and proper nouns (like names and such).

"most dumbest"?

And... I wish people would get this. "literally" (not "litteraly") is very overused. You should only use it when something figurative actually happens. For example: "I literally bent over backwards to get this rom." would mean you actually had to perform said task to get the rom you wanted. Try using "actually" or "truthfully" instead.

Sorry to say but people do judge based on how you write. Your words here define your level of maturity and intelligence whether you like it or not.

Just some advice from a long time member and veteran teacher.

• Like 3

Anyone remember that goofy ST: TNG episode where ditzy Wesley Crusher takes a spill into a flower bed and gets the death penalty?

That's how asinine this topic-discussion is.

Jack's requesting a ROM to a coin-op game he saw on a hobbyist website, presumably because he wants to play it, probably in MAME or something.  I don't think anyone who's an actual preservationist has a problem with giving a copy of an unalterable ROM, except for the copyright implications. . . is it fair use. . . his SNES version broke, he's looking for a comparable copy. . . so on, so forth;  interestingly, no one here even addressed this.  "Uh, you'll be blacklisted in KLOV… Well, uh, it's like pissing on the carpet at your folks; you don't want to do that! (This is the most vapid analogy I've ever seen.) …  'An elipsis [sic]  is usually three dots [sic] not two.' "  You folks are deadly serious, and you've managed to render the entire discussion a meme. . . friggin' embarrassing th' house.   Do you expect someone less than half your age to take you seriously?

Anyway, Jack, here are some links which might be helpful:

This is at archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/arcade_relief

I think you can actually play the game here… not sure whether it'll work on a tablet-browser.  Maybe try Firefox for iOS.  This is a really good 'phone/ tablet browser anyway.  You can find many legacy baseball games here.

There is also a SNES version by Tengen I think.  Here's an article:

https://snescentral.com/article.php?id=0575

It looks like it runs around twenty bucks; read some reviews, see whether it's any good, most SNES ports were pretty good.  Your mom might get this for you if you have an old SNES; I think you mentioned having some old consoles in one of your videos.

Here's another service which might be okay with your mom:

http://www.consoleclassix.com/

Here are some links re. ROMS: What constitutes fair use, what doesn't.  It remains a grey area.  20-30 years ago, a lot of it was abandonware, a really grey area; some publishers and authors even threw it out there when there wasn't money involved. Now retro-gaming is an industry, and there's lots of money involved… and folks aren't quite so… charitable.  I don't condone piracy, but you can't steal something that was just sitting out there on the curb, which metaphorically speaking, was often the case many years ago.  There's also been a lot of copyright-creep over the years; Project Gutenberg will probably be sued eventually for that free downloadable copy of James Joyce's Ulysses...zzz:

https://fossbytes.com/downloading-roms-emulator-illegal-alternatives/

https://www.howtogeek.com/262758/is-downloading-retro-video-game-roms-ever-legal/

https://kotaku.com/in-defense-of-roms-a-solution-to-dying-games-and-broke-1828340811

Sites which host ROMS bounce around the web from one cease and desist order to another; a few get sued, shut down, and then resurface under a different moniker.

Well enough about all that… hope this helps.  I really enjoyed your video with the squirrel on the porch-step!  Was that your mom in the background?  She sounds like a trip!  You're very lucky!  Good luck and happy gaming!

Edited by patroclus99
oops, less than
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, ubersaurus said:

You literally ask in the title who owns it and then ask for that person to release the rom. Whether or not you would ask this person directly or whether or not they'd even see this specific topic, you're still asking here. It's a taboo approach.

The way I see it is that there's an incredible number of unreleased games that have dripped online over the decades, and every one of them is a small miracle. I would not get hung up on ones that are still unavailable to run on emulators and appreciate what we do have. 

That's the rub of it really. He may not have contact with the owner, but if one goes around starting topics all asking to release the ROM, it results in the same thing.

I have some prototype arcade boards and occasionally get that; Same kind of annoyance is seeing "YOU NEED TO BRING THIS TO SWITCH/PS4/PC/ETC" comments on new games that just came out (as though I'm the manufacturer which I'm not...but as an operator, it's also pretty irritating).

Why is it a problem? Because collectors or arcade operators spend thousands of dollars on these things. When a game is made available in emulation, it damages that value to some degree (in the case of brand new games, it kills the earnings, making it either difficult or impossible for the game to ever recoup it's investment). For those who have invested, seeing someone demand it for free is like someone coming up to you and saying that you need to give them your house or car or some other possession you worked hard for, just because you think that you deserve to enjoy it.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

FYI, kiddo can't see this thread anymore, so advice is going into the wind.

I'm so thankful when I was that age and made posts like that because I knew everything, it was only on a single line BBS that is long dead.  :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I have some prototype arcade boards and occasionally get that; Same kind of annoyance is seeing "YOU NEED TO BRING THIS TO SWITCH/PS4/PC/ETC" comments on new games that just came out (as though I'm the manufacturer which I'm not...but as an operator, it's also pretty irritating).

Why is it a problem? Because collectors or arcade operators spend thousands of dollars on these things. When a game is made available in emulation, it damages that value to some degree (in the case of brand new games, it kills the earnings, making it either difficult or impossible for the game to ever recoup it's investment). For those who have invested, seeing someone demand it for free is like someone coming up to you and saying that you need to give them your house or car or some other possession you worked hard for, just because you think that you deserve to enjoy it.  

All of these reasons are why, years ago, I quit talking to people about games and / or PCBs that I had.

There was also a particularly nasty incident that arose after I had mentioned to another collector that I had Game X sitting around waiting to be dumped and tested.  The collector that I told that to - quite innocently - happened to mention it someone else.  Who, in turn, mentioned it to someone else again, and so on down the line until the situation went from, "I'm tired of dealing with people asking me about when Game X will be dumped" to having one person threaten to turn up at my home and / or workplace to physically harm me.

Anyone who wants to tell me that threats are meaningless unless something happens is more than welcome to receive them on my behalf and act on them as they see fit.  But I do not tolerate them, and am equally not taking the risk that some deranged indivdual - who, I might add, did manage to somehow get ahold of both my home and work addresses - is just a harmless crank.  There are some sick people out there, and in this hobby they really will go batshit over a game that someone else owns.

These are just some of the many reasons why there are certain things one doesn't do as a part of any community.  This one is no different.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 6

I don't know if the OP can still read this post, but let me give some general advice that might apply to others in the future:

1. Know the culture of the community (or "lurk more"). Different communities online and in real life have different cultures. I have no idea about KLOV or what that is, but it looks like asking for ROMs of prototypes is greatly frowned upon. Other communities, such as ballroom dancing (which is what I'm involved in) has their own very strict unwritten rules too. 

2. If you break a cultural rule, step back, apologize, don't get defensive, and learn from it. Don't try to make excuses like age, or "well... this is how it's done in my culture". It'll only continue rubbing people the wrong way.

3. Gain people skills. Understand what motivates people. Make friends. 

Just my 2 [insert local currency here]

On 10/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

All of these reasons are why, years ago, I quit talking to people about games and / or PCBs that I had.

There was also a particularly nasty incident that arose after I had mentioned to another collector that I had Game X sitting around waiting to be dumped and tested.  The collector that I told that to - quite innocently - happened to mention it someone else.  Who, in turn, mentioned it to someone else again, and so on down the line until the situation went from, "I'm tired of dealing with people asking me about when Game X will be dumped" to having one person threaten to turn up at my home and / or workplace to physically harm me.

Anyone who wants to tell me that threats are meaningless unless something happens is more than welcome to receive them on my behalf and act on them as they see fit.  But I do not tolerate them, and am equally not taking the risk that some deranged indivdual - who, I might add, did manage to somehow get ahold of both my home and work addresses - is just a harmless crank.  There are some sick people out there, and in this hobby they really will go batshit over a game that someone else owns.

These are just some of the many reasons why there are certain things one doesn't do as a part of any community.  This one is no different.

Fortunately I've never been threatened with harm over the rare stuff I have (probably because it's available to play at my arcade), although once I did get threatened because the Ninja Gaiden Arcade I had was very different from the NES version and the guy didn't like me telling him that. 

Some people really are insane. 

• Like 3

On 10/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, patroclus99 said:

Anyway, Jack, here are some links which might be helpful:

This is at archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/arcade_relief

I think you can actually play the game here… not sure whether it'll work on a tablet-browser.  Maybe try Firefox for iOS.  This is a really good 'phone/ tablet browser anyway.  You can find many legacy baseball games here.

This game shown in that link is actually a different game.  Atari had the unreleased prototype of the baseball game called Relief Pitcher on System 1 hardware, which would have probably been release in 1986 if it hadn't been scrapped.  Then in 1992 Atari release a new baseball game with the same name. (this is the version that above link is pointing to).  This newer version from 1992, however, was a completely different game, on completely different hardware.  The only thing that the two share is the name "Relief Pitcher".  Well, that and the fact that it's a baseball game. ;)

I'm the owner of this prototype game, by the way.  And to the best of my knowledge there are two in existence.

• Like 7

On 10/13/2020 at 12:19 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

some deranged indivdual - who, I might add, did manage to somehow get ahold of both my home and work addresses

Doesn't seem too difficult, it's posted right under your user name lol

(I know that's not your real address)

First time I've ever encountered a thread like this while I was literally eating popcorn.

• Haha 2

On 10/20/2020 at 12:46 PM, DLP said:

I'm the owner of this prototype game, by the way.  And to the best of my knowledge there are two in existence.

Oh? That's nice! Can you do some footage of the game? Maybe a soundtrack? I never did seen or played the game before. I bet it's really good! Who owns the 2and cabinet?

• Haha 2

“See! It doesn't make scenes!! It doesn't mean I'm untitled or anything.”

“You wrote a hole paragraph”

“Not rlly.”

Hmm...

"I never did seen or played the game before."

"Who owns the 2and cabinet?"

Investigating.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3