IGNORED

Uncle Hairy's Nosehair

atari2600land

It's nice how the demon follows the csissors.

I got 175 points in my first try, it was impossible to get the box and return to cut the hair at the speed it reaches after 18 boxes...

Sometimes, I can hear "chop" when I cut the hair, but sometims it sound like a "chopchop" (double cut). Is that ok?

Maybe the collecting of the parcel should not be "optional" but mandatory within a certain amount of seconds. So if you don't collect the parcel within 10 seconds you get less points (-1 per second?) and if you miss a parcel (after 20 seconds?) the game is lost.

4 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Maybe the collecting of the parcel should not be "optional" but mandatory within a certain amount of seconds. So if you don't collect the parcel within 10 seconds you get less points (-1 per second?)

It seems to be a good idea. Also start with a higher initial number of points and discount 1 point per second immediately. A sound timer with an increasing pitch should be great.

7 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

if you miss a parcel (after 20 seconds?) the game is lost.

Two ways to end the game... Mmm... Might by not so fast maximum speed of the hair grouth but with the demon also increasing its speed?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I can't add any more logic to the game without the scanline jumping around horribly.

Logic can be split over multiple frames.

For example, do part A on one frame then part B on the next frame. Then part A again... etc.

Or you can do the logic/AI for each "creature" on seperate frames.  Lots of way to divide tasks into smaller units and execute them individually instead of trying to fit everything into a single frame.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion.

This version works, but I've found if a box is placed too far to the right side, when you get it the screen jitters. So I limited how far the box can be on the right side. If you get any jittering issues, let me know. I also made the boxes come up more frequently. It makes it a faster paced game in my opinion. I still have 25 bytes left.

nosehair33.bin

On 10/11/2020 at 6:50 PM, atari2600land said:

OK, I think I have this working.

The heart of the game is cutting the nosehair so it doesn't grow so long it reaches the bottom of the screen. If you don't cut it, the nosehair will grow. But since you can't cut the hair yet and there is no nosehair demon to avoid, the nosehair grows. Fast (To test it. I can adjust how fast the nosehair grows.) What do you think about this game idea?

nosehairattempt3.bin 2 kB · 17 downloads nosehairattempt3.asm 22.09 kB · 8 downloads

I think quite a few of y'all are playing this already and losing :P

On a serious note, it's cool watching this grow and change into something playable. ?

Edited by zylon

I'm not sure how long it take the hair to grow at max speed, and how many boxes could appear up to that time. I'm sure that at some point it is not feasible to reach boxed that appears in the bottom right side of the screen and return to cut the hair. So, it is matter of luck to keep picking boxes and to get a high score.

• Like 1

I finally saw the light about this game. The fact that the nosehair's growth gets too speedy makes the game end at some point too soon. So I lowered the maximum speed to where you can go get a box and come back and be able to cut the nosehair (in my opinion). I think that making the game making you lose points for every second you don't get the box forced me to make this change. So I played this version 35 a couple of times. I got 399 on my first try and 499 on my second try.

nosehair35.bin

• Like 2

I tried to take a picture while I was playing in a real Atari, but doing that distracted me and let the game end. The first picture said 1622, and the final score was 1617.

I think that at that score, the grouth was at maximum speed (without touching the demon), and I could have been playing to 9999.

It seems that the box spots did not covered the whole screen. It looked like the spots were always some few ones, and I could predict where and when it would appear.

A faster grouth (like in the previous version) won't allow me to reach the right side and return to cut, so there is something else that has to be done to avoid returning at current max speed that is fine. Might be a moving box? Unable to move through the demon?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went back to work on this. I added in the subtraction of points if the demon gets the box. When the box appears, the demon stops going after the scissors and tries to get the box instead. Since this took more room, I had to get rid of the music and instead make the colors change (like in an early 2600 game). What do you think?

nosehair36.bin

I figured out how to bring the music back. What's more is I have 15 bytes left. The screen does not change colors though (unless you turn b&w mode on.) It was so simple. Instead of long complicated code, I just had the Frame variable handle when to change the notes. And since there were 32 treble notes and 16 bass notes, that divided evenly into 256.

EDIT: The color switch won't work. I'm looking into it.